“Tasty food- Not very welcoming”

The Swan Kingholm Quay
Ranked #16 of 141 Restaurants in Dumfries
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Swan is on the Quay less than 2 mile from the town centre of Dumfries with great views, beer garden and easy parking. Opens 7 days a week from 12noon for lunch and 5pm for dinner. Serving quality traditional pub food with a full bar to include real ale and is family and disable friendly. Enjoy food outdoors in the summer in the beautiful beer garden and terrace and in the winter a warm welcome awaits you with the 2 log fires in the pub.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The food is of a gastro pub. It is good quality and tasty. Average selection. The welcome as you arrive is poor. The staff seem under constant pressure and are not coping. Unable to get a drink to relax with on arrival when table is late. To many tables crammed in together. Very little space to relax. To summarise Food is tasty and understanding they are busy. Clientele should be better cared for.

1  Thank chrissy071

Reviewed 16 June 2018

I turned up for lunch at 2.25 pm to be told in an arrogant manner by the lady behind the bar that the kitchen was probably closed ,when I pointed out that the kitchen closed at 2.30pm she seemed annoyed and went off to see whether I could have lunch and then returned a few minutes later telling me it was still open but " I would have to get on with it " .It was as if I was lucky to be given the opportunity ! I had intended to have a full lunch but given the above didnt feel much like giving them any custom so settled for a soup and then left .The pea and ham soup was fine but the damage was done .There are far friendlier places in Dumfries to eat .

3  Thank middlesprings
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely local pub to Dumfries and within walking distance for a lot of the houses down at Kingholm Quay. We all had starters which were lovely, would 100% recommend the nachos as they are home made! The portions are very generous and we all struggled to finish the mains after starters as well!

Staff are very nice and helpful, the wait for drinks/food was a little longer than most places but you don’t mind when the quality of food is so good. Outdoor area is pleasant for drinks as well as we’ve popped back for a second evening for a rose and a pint!

Always return to this pub when we are in the area visiting family!

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Although I’d reserved a quiet table for two, a couple of days previously, my wife and I were, after much consultation between staff, eventually seated at a table set for three, right under a speaker playing loud music. Not a major problem although the member of staff ‘looking after us’ was rather curt and not very welcoming.
Our starters arrived in a reasonable time and were okay, although my crispy battered King Prawns were few in number and the batter was quite soggy and very greasy.
Mains arrived in due course, mine on a cold plate, and were again okay ‘ish’ but my mash was heavy and stodgy, the Apple Cider Gravy was very gelatinous and extremely salty whilst the fat on the slow cooked Pork Belly was very limp and uninviting.
My wife’s chips were stone cold and tasteless whilst her Chicken fillet swam in a sea of very spicy sauce.
The pudding, which we shared, was good with fruity Ice Cream and Cheesecake and a delicious Raspberry compote.
Our drinks had ben served by a friendly barman and our meals had been served by an efficient member of the team
The premises were clean, and the table layout was not cramped, you could dine al fresco on either a patio area or in the Beer Garden; both areas looking inviting and were dog friendly
All in all, not a ‘wild horses wouldn’t drag me there again’ experience, but not as good as the exterior of the premises and the company’s website had implied.
We probably will go back again, but our selection will be very different next time; give it a try, we might have dropped in on an off day.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Went here for a family meal. The food was excellent, service was quick. Staff very friendly. Would highly recommend.