“Not bad but not something to write home about.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Imperial Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #80 of 137 Restaurants in Dumfries
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Came here the morning after a heavy night in town while visiting a couple of friends. We all opted to only have main courses which included lemon chicken, chicken fried rice and a chicken chow mein. The lemon chicken was probably the best part of the meal and came with a fairly large portion of fried rice. The chicken fried rice wasn't too bad but the chow mein was a bit too greasy for my liking, although my friend enjoyed it. Service was average and the food wasn't overly priced. Over all, although i've been to better places, I'd recommend giving this place a try.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a lovely 2 course dinner here whilst visiting Dumfries. We hadn't had a chance to check on Tripadvisor, so we just went for this restaurant. We were glad that we didn't check the reviews on this site as they might have put us off. We were very surprised to read the bad reviews given our experience.

We were impressed by the set meal option, which also included a complimentary coffee or an ice cream as part of an offer, and it was very reasonably priced. The starters and main courses were both excellent (the chicken satay was the nicest I've had in many years.)

The drinks were very reasonable too, unlike many restaurants which entice you in with cheap food offers and then make all the money back in their drinks prices.

It was quiet at the time of our visit, although we did go for an early dinner, however a lot of people were coming in to use the take away service which is also offered from the restaurant.

We found the service to be very friendly and attentive, and we would recommend this to people I know if they were in Dumfries.

1  Thank Graham K
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Mouldy chicken, greasy cold noodles, watery tomato ketchup instead of sweet and sour sauce - total rubbish! Would never go here again! Was sick for 3 days!!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Absolutely the worst meal I have ever had in my life! We had just picked up my car from servicing were all hungry and had spied the chinese food sign. The decor should have let us know what we were in for, more canteen than restaurant, but we were hungry and one of the party was sure her father had said the food was good. We ordered crispy duck, prawn toasts, crispy chicken in a pecking sauce and beef curry. The duck arrived hot on the inside coldin the middle, not a bone insight the microwave is obviously needing replaced. When pointed ou the owner said no worries, he would just pop it back in the microwave! Whenit did arrive back, it smelled like wet dog, along with a pitiful wilting cut cucumber and springonions came dice carrots! The smell meant that just wasnt touched. The prawn toast were fine. The beef curry didnt taste like crry at all the beef chewy and raw barely cooked onions, absolutely disgusting. We tried the shredded chicken which seemed to have tomato ketchup. I asked for the bill within two minutes of trying everything. The own asked what was wrong and I told him the meal was inedible. His reply was that people come for miles around to eat there , I asked him where they were (restaurant empty). Please please do not go here, the place should be closed down on trade description alone.

3  Thank vivscotlady