“Favourite hotel in Britain!”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Favourite hotel in Britain!”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I've been going to the Aston for a few years now and can thoroughly recommend it. The food is excellent, try the haggis at breakfast! The rooms are fantastic and the showers are the best I've been in. Staff are wonderful, very attentive and pleasant.

Room Tip: All the rooms I've been in were great.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank EileenMac
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Wonderful review, a pleasure to read.

Thank you for taking time to post and for your continued patronage of the Aston Dumfries.

Look forward to seeing you on your next visit. In the meanwhile kind regards Mike Phillips.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stopped at the hotel for two nights. The room was lovely and had a huge bed. The room and ensuite bathroom was clean. The resturant and bar area was nice, we ate there both nights only complain was the daily specials where the same both times. Overall we had a great tume and it was good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank sandlcollins
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thanks for this positive review on your recent two night stay. Delighted that you dined both nights with us and enjoyed your experience. We try to change specials each day but in quieter times could be two which appears to have happened on this occasion. Certainly look forward to seeing you again. Will keep you posted with any special Leisure Break offers. Best regards Mike Phillips
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I stayed at the Aston for 1 night while in Dumfries on business in January. When I arrived at Reception the Receptionist was busy on the phone but acknowledged me and apologised for my wait (5 - 6 mins) when he was completing my check in. My room was nice and comfortable, breakfast was excellent and all staff were very polite and professional.

Why then is my rating not Excellent?

Once I had checked in and dropped my bag in my room I went to have a meal at in the bar. When I tried to order I was advised that the bar meal menu finished at 6pm (it was now 6:10pm!), and that the menus should have been removed from the table, and I would need to order from the Restaurant menu. Given the 10 minutes had been due to my delay at reception and a couple of minutes looking at the menu, I felt this was poor customer service (rarely found in places like Greece, Italy etc.), and a smacked a bit of 'jobsworth', so went elsewhere for my bar meal (the weather was horrible so would preferred to have stayed in hotel).

I completed hotel questionnaire, including my e-mail and phone details, but no contact from hotel.

I return in March for another business trip because despite my recent experience this is still the best hotel in Dumfries.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Inverclyde
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you for this comprehensive review which is appreciated even the negative point which I fully understand. This was brought to my attention immediately after you departed and discussed with the staff member. We certainly could have done better and dealt with the situation differently. I was anxious to speak to you and tried to call you but could not get through. Unfortunately I did not make a second call for which I apologise.
Delighted that you find us the best hotel in Dumfries and thank you for considering us for your March visit. Hopefully we can delete the word ‘almost’ from any future review. Kind regards
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Very Clean spotless hotel, polite & courteous staff, very helpful, Room- spacious, comfortable, well decorated, perfect for overnight stay for early appoint at hospital next day. Dinner in restaurant, very well presented & very good choices. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lizzie62
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Excellent stay followed by an excellent review. What more could we ask for? Trust you will not have too many visits to hospital but if you do hopefully will see you again. Thank you, Mike Phillips
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Booked an executive room--whatever that is! Spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated. Bathroom very good, separate bath and shower.
Dinner in the restaurant was tasty and well presented. The buffet breakfast was extensive and surprisingly hot.
Now a couple of criticisms---
1) our room was cold and only heated up when we had an oil filled radiator delivered.
2) the range of TV programmes available is very limited
3) outside appearance is awful (contrasting with what lies inside, which is very nice)
---so not big issues!

The major positive, however, is the staff---universally friendly, responsive and helpful. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mortam
Your comments on your recent stay are much appreciated especially as you mention the staff. They work hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay and are always pleased when this is recognised. Your criticisms are noted and will be looked into where appropriate but pleased to note they are minor and would not stop you hopefully from staying again. Thank you for taking the time to write. Mike Phillips
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Enjoyed a lovely relaxing twixmas dinner B&B break (3 nights) from Dec 28th to Dec 30th. We were in Room 6 on the ground floor - very happy. Bed as ever huge and comfortable. Housekeepers are fab - everything spotless. Power shower is a blast - literally. Love it. All of the staff at Aston Dumfries appear professional and well trained. The breakfast buffet is first class. The evening meals were very good... as was the service. The twixmas break is terrific value for money... this is just a really good hotel, not far from Glasgow, that provides a comfy clean relaxing space for a short break. My only tiny beef is that they didn't have a bottle of my favourite tipple (Canadian Club Rye Whiskey) behind the bar... but a HUGE WELL DONE ASTON! We had a great time and we'll def be back soon we hope xx

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidKen
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Would like to thank you on behalf of all the team at the Aston for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor after your Twixmas Leisure Break. Wonderful review and appreciate you taking the time to write. Will certainly have Canadian Rye for you next visit, no problem. Look forward to seeing you. Kind regards, Mike Phillips.
Elgin
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights between Xmas and New Year on a “special DBB rate”. Had an Executive room. Room was good- but when we arrived it was also being used as a storage place for 5 collapsible dining tables….not good. However, a quick re-visit to Reception saw a barman arrive at the room within a few minutes of us asking and he moved the tables out. The TV did not get the channels described on the in-room card and the heating/aircon was poor. However, the bathroom was well presented: deep bath and separate power shower. The bed was a super king-size which we both found comfortable. The free Wi-fi signal was “low” but it worked and I was able to use my laptop in the room.
We thought the staff were efficient and friendly- a credit to the hotel. Service was very good all the time we were there. Unfortunately the same could not be said of the food. The choice was fine- but the quality on the first two nights (Thursday and Friday) was poor. On Saturday night it was greatly improved and just about made the overall eating experience there acceptable. However, if we had been paying the full rate I would have been extremely disappointed and rather cross; as it was, as an overall stay I consider we had reasonable value.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are good....worth paying for.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SGWElgin
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at The Aston. I am certainly disappointed that you found the food quality was poor although the choice was fine and service good. I will definitely look into this and analyse all feedback from our Twixmas package. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and hopefully would return. The situation with the tables should not have happened but I am pleased it was rectified quickly, my apologies. Mike Phillips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Best Western Station Hotel
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!