“you would be mad to stay anywhere else in the area!”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Dunbar
“you would be mad to stay anywhere else in the area!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

we stayed at the hotel to attend a wedding - its in the grounds of what was once a lunatic asylum - it's now a conference/ wedding venue/ business park/university in a campus setting. The grounds are beautiful with extensive shrubbery and trees and the area is quiet and peaceful.The Aston is built on to one of the attractive sandstone building on site and has modern hotel rooms built onto the period building which houses the restaurant and meeting rooms. As a wedding venue it was perfect as the magnificent church was only 50M away with the Easterbrook Hall reception venue a similar distance. The Aston itself was very pleasant, the staff were polite, the food good and brasserie had a lovely ambience. The advantage of the modern rooms in an old venue was an excellent shower and a well thought out bathroom - the room was well equipped and the bed was large and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Jim, thanks for this great review. Your description of the hotel, Easterbrook Hall and our location on the Crichton Estate is perfect. Would like to welcome you again so will keep you posted with offers of our leisure breaks unless of course there is another wedding. Although originally a private Mental Hospital way ahead of its time, we like to think we deliver the same standard of care to our guests that Elizabeth Crichton awarded her special patients all those years ago Best regards and thanks again Mike Phillips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at the Aston on various occasions and it is by far the best hotel in Dumfries in my opinion. The building is located nice grounds around the hospital area. The hotel is very modern and the rooms are always immaculate on arrival. The staff are very friendly and willing to help. Overall highly recommend if looking for a hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for this review and for choosing the Aston when staying in Dumfries. Appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards Mike Phillips
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Managed to find an excellent deal for this hotel in Dumfries and we were even more impressed with the great quality hotel for a great price. The deal was two nights bed and breakfast, afternoon tea, procecco, fruit and chocolates in the room for an amazing £99. We had to pay an additional £10 supplement to stay on a Saturday night but this was well worth it.

The hotel is very obviously fairly new or recently refurbished as the rooms were of a very high quality finish and decor. The service from the staff was welcoming and very professional. The food and beverage (breakfast and afternoon tea) was great too.

Would definitely stay here again.. Especially if getting the same deal!

• Stayed May 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Iain
Delighted with your review after your recent stay after purchasing one of our ITISON offers. These have proved extremely popular so much so we will shortly be offering another one. Thank you and hopefully see you again
Kind regards, Mike Phillips
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. The staff were very helpful attending to our every need and made us feel very at home. The room was large, clean with a very picturesque view and contained everything we needed. Breakfast was very good every morning and the afternoon tea we received on arrival really set the scene for our 2 night stay. Perfection. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Excellent review which I thank you for taking the time write. Always good when staff are mentioned and delighted you enjoyed the afternoon tea. Hopefully see you again soon. Mike Phillips
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Been passed this hotel on several occasions & often travel this way for a few days golf & walking, so decided to give the Aston a go & we were So Delighted that we did. Fantastic location,marvellous staff ( couldn't do enough for you -REAL customer service. )room was excellent ( new TVs!), was large & very clean & as much as I like a bath the power shower was terrific. Thanks to ALL for a great stay & we've already booked to come again in September.
We couldn't fault the Hotel.
Lyndsey & Graham.

• Stayed June 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Wow " Lyndsey & Graham what a really nice review from you. So pleased that you found us and even more that you enjoyed your stay and would return. Yes, we have just installed new TV's in all bedrooms giving all guests access to 107 TV channels and 38 radio ones. Executive rooms have 40" screens and all standard rooms 32".Look forward to seeing you again in September. In the meanwhile best wishes, Mike Phillips
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and i recently enjoyed a very relaxing break at the Alton Hotel in Dumfries.We walked in the many acres of wonderful parkland - saw three weddings! The rooms were comfortable, especially the beds and the shower was amazing. The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble.Breakfast on the first morning was a little hectic and the buffet food kept running out but the second morning it was much better. The icing on the cake was the fabulous food in the restaurant. We ate at the restaurant both evenings it was so delicious. Well done Aston Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Amanda. Delighted that you chose the Aston for you leisure break and that you found time to write this review which is most welcome. Thank you and hopefully see you again. Mike Phillips
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I'm so impressed by this Hotel that I'm writing my review halfway through my 4-day business stay. Having tried several hotels in the area due to working up here for an extended period, I can comfortably say that this is the best of the bunch.

While there are some other options closer to town, depending on your budget and requirements, this has a real 'top-class' feel about it.

I think other reviews have the stay here pretty much spot on. Bedroom is spacious, king size bed which is comfortable, and a clean and well presented bathroom with a powerful shower. I haven't tried the TV as I'm not really one for watching stuff other than sports & movies. Wifi works well all over the building, and outside too. I'm writing this on my ipad in the beer garden! There is also a wired connection available in rooms for those of us who need to work at random hours...

Staff are exceptionally friendly, service is speedy and courteous. Had a small problem with the air conditioning in my room, which is being investigated now. Hopefully they can repair as its a real scorcher today, if not then it's not something I would mark this hotel down on - these things happen.

I didn't book the breakfast deal as I tend to leave for work earlier than service starts, and usually end up wasting the money. I also haven't eaten in the restaurant, although plan to do so on my next visit so will update the review in due course....

I'm so impressed that I've already booked my next 2 stays here over the next couple of weeks, and in fact I think the only reason I'll stay anywhere else in Dumfries for the rest of my time here is if The Aston is fully booked.

Grounds are beautiful and it's very tranquil. Certainly the most peaceful hotel I've stayed in here. Town centre is a 25 minute walk - mostly downhill - or about 5 mins and £4 in a taxi.

There is a golf club situated close by - I'm not a golfer so can't say what it's like.

Bar is about average price-wise. Yes there are cheaper options in town but we need to remember that this is a hotel. I'm paying £3.90 for a pint of Carling as opposed to about £3.30 in town. By my reckoning you'd need to drink 20 pints to cover the difference of a taxi there and back :). The bar is also well-stocked with a good range of beers, wines and spirits.

Plenty of car parking space available right outside, and you're only a short drive away from the A75 for onward trips.

Overall then, very impressive & the closest you'll come to the big-name luxury chains. Well done to all who work here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Craigo1973
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
What a great review which goes without saying we are delighted to receive and thank you so much for taking the time to write. You have mentioned all aspects of your stay and we are delighted that you will be returning. The only regret that I have is that you have only just found us after your other visits to Dumfries which I note from your previous reviews. Thank you, Mike Phillips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!