“Excellent hotel and lovely staff”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Edinburgh
“Excellent hotel and lovely staff”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just back from a two night stay at the Aston Hotel and it was simply stunning. Booked using an Itison deal £99 for two people, which included afternoon tea and a bottle of prosecco and breakfast both mornings. We also upgraded to the executive room which was lovely, a nice big bathroom and comfortable settee in the room. Upon arrival at reception there was an issue with keys being available but the reception staff took us to our room and allowed us to get settled and then we found a lovely little table and chairs in the sun where we enjoyed our afternoon tea and bottle of prosecco..the grounds were lovely!
In the evening we had dinner in the restaurant, and I must say that the waiting staff were one of the loveliest I've ever experienced (especially Becca!) nothing was too much trouble and the food arrived seamlessly and was simply delicious!
Breakfast both mornings was lovely with a large selection of continental and cooked foods.
We were lucky enough to have gorgeous weather which allowed us to explore the beautiful grounds of the hotel and church and we had a 3 hour picnic whilst watching a wedding in progress..
We would definitely book this hotel again and I would be very proud of the staff that work in the Aston it was a refreshing change to the norm!!
I

Room Tip: Executive room was lovely!
1 Thank Gem77Edinburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fife Scotland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Hello I am back. Booked this hotel with Itison, For myself and my sister. Two nights bed and breakfast, Afternoon tea, Prosseco, fruit and handmade chocolates in room. The price was £99 for two. The hotel was first class. The staff were first class and would give you little extras that they did not charge for. The first night we had dinner in hotel , which was lovely, as was breakfast both mornings. I hope management appreciate their staff. I run a beautiful B&B in Aberdour ( only one bedroom) but very high class so I know what I like.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank seanie8
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The reception, lounge and dining room are in the old house, the rooms are in a modern building behind that they don't show on the promo pics. Rooms are basic Premier Inn standard - comfortable and convenient. Wi-Fi coverage is spotty. Staff generally courteous and helpful. Breakfast is buffet style - OK, but evening meal was a big disappointment and overpriced. Setting is beautiful in old Creighton Hospital grounds, but a long walk from city center.

1 Thank Sophieknits
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Appreciate your review and note the comments you have made which I do take on board. However it is difficult to comment further without more detail .Could you please call me as I would be happy to discuss to try to resolve? In the meanwhile best regards. Mike Phillips
Perth
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

As previously stated the setting of this hotel is delightful
The rooms were OK and all the staff we had contact with were great, except for the young bloke who served our drinks at the bar. We seemed to be getting in the way of him chatting with other staff causing our drinks order to take an eternity to prepare
The food was also below par with what appeared to be some cheap ingredients and poor presentation. So hotel generally pretty good but could do with paying more attention to the food coming out of the kitchen

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Ian M
Ian, thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased you found the hotel in general to be delightful but as you might expect disappointed to read your comments on the food. I have looked at our daily restaurant reports as we prefer to try to rectify any disappointment at the time. I would be happy to discuss further if you would call me.In the meanwhile my apologies if we have failed on this occasion. Best Regards Mike Phillips
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

I found this a funny stay really. The staff were lovely throughout but at times some of the systems seemed a bit fiddly or fussy.
For instance I checked out prior to reception staff arriving and after 15 minutes of the restaurant and night staff trying to print my receipt I took a copy of their copy rather than wait any longer.
Food service was a bit strange with the bar menu finishing at 6pm so only the restaurant after that. However when I asked for ice cream in the bar at 9pm they were happy to let me have it. So really accommodating but odd fussy ideas.
Food was good too.
Room was lovely too.
Staff lovely.
I think I'd be happy to go back and it was a lovely setting

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank lancashirewillow
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thanks for this review. Pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your mention of the staff. Will look into your comment on the receipt and apologies for your wait. Hopefully see you again. Best regards Mike Phillips
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

First off, we thoroughly enjoyed our 2-day 'itison' deal at the Aston Hotel. The reception staff are very professional and accommodating - their attitude (both face-to-face and by telephone) was exceptional and set the tone for our stay. We upgraded to one of the executive rooms and found it to be spacious,comfortable and immaculately maintained by friendly house-keeping staff. The grounds in which the hotel is situated were a real surprise; they are delightful and we spent hours walking in the grounds and enjoying the scenery. Our deal included high tea on arrival and chocolate, fruit and wine in our room - a real treat. We travel often (mainly in the US) and, sadly, have come to expect lower service standards in our own country; however, this hotel is an exception. We were very impressed by the efforts the staff put in, and could tell that customer satisfaction was a priority. We ate in the hotel's own restaurant (one night) and found the food to be slightly disappointing given the extremely high standard of all other aspects of our stay. That said, the dining room was very pleasant and the staff were excellent and trying very hard to provide the best standard of service possible. We would be delighted to stay in the Aston again and would heartily recommend it to other travellers.

2 Thank JayML11
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments on staff are especially welcome and will be relayed to them as customer satisfaction is our number one priority. The itison deal has proved extremely popular so much so that we are currently repeating. Happy to discuss the point on the food if you would give me a call but disappointed that we did not met your expectations in this department.
We have been blessed with some fantastic weather and as you found out the grounds are excellent and we are fortunate to be situated where we are. Thank you for taking the time to write. Next time perfect,Regards Mike Phillips
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We arrived in Dumfries without a reservation and spotted the tourist information. They booked the Aston for us at a good rate and frommers had given it a good review. We had a car, but do like to walk to dinner and the center of town. The weather was nice enough to do so, but it is a bit of a hike from the center. The room was spacious with a king bed and overlooked lovely grounds. Nice lobby bar. We ate dinner at the restaurant the first night and was disappointed in the food. Breakfast, which was included, was average. So stay there, but don't eat there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this feedback although disappointed to read your points about the food. Will speak to those concerned but difficult to comment further without more details. We record feedback from customers and will look back to see if any were made at the time which will give me a better understanding of where perhaps we have got it wrong on this occasion.Kind regards Mike Phillips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Station Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!