“Air of tranquility”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Nottingham UK
“Air of tranquility”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed for six nights at the Aston, and from the time of checking in to leaving I had a most positive experience. The hotel stands in a superb setting good for an early evening stroll . The rooms in the hotel are well presented and very comfortable. The bed was king sized and I slept really well which is unusual for me. Also aid to sleep was how quiet the hotel is even though it was very busy the rooms had good sound proofing. All the staff I encounted during my stay only added to my excellent experience. I ate in the restaurant and the food was a good standard I only had one meal that was a little disappointing pie a little over cooked. Breakfast had plenty of choice and the cooked selection was always hot. There is ample parking. To the centre of Dumfries is only about ten minutes in the car. This hotel is in a good location especially to explore the delights of Dumfries and Galloway. This was not my first visit to Dumfries having in the past stayed at two other hotels, but this will be my first choice in the future.

Room Tip: I had room 120 on the first floor it has a generous sized shower but no bath but that suited me.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed for two nights from Thursday and the hotel and staff were first class. Although there was a mix up with the package we booked, this was sorted quickly by offering a 3 course meal for dinner. First class customer service. The hotel is well located, clean and the base food (breakfast and dinner) was really good quality. I have posted our afternoon tea experience separately as I felt it was unfair to impact on what we had booked initially.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park area.
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on a deal, attracted by the Pierre Marco White branded restaurant.

I assume the hotel is pretty new, not just because everything is pristine, but because nobody quite knows what they are doing. It seems a bit lost between a budget hotel, business hotel and leisure destination. Rooms are well furnished and equipped, but the bathroom had only one small bar of soap and a small container of shampoo. There were inconsistencies like this all over the hotel.

However, the biggest problem was the service. On arrival we were greeted by friendly and efficient lady. Our deal included a bottle of Prosecco, and she suggested we contact the front desk when we wanted it and it would be brought to our room: fine. When we got to the room there was already a bottle of Prosecco there, warm, without a chiller or glasses. As we wanted to walk into town we left it and would talk to the lady on the front desk when we returned. When we got back there had been staff change and the new receptionist had other ideas: just take the warm bottle of Prosecco to the bar and they will swap it for a chilled one and give you glasses. So we go to the room, collect the warm bottle, go to the bar, find no-one there, and walk around until we can find someone and persuade them to serve us, then walk back to the room with the Prosecco, chiller and glasses: not really what we would have expected, but at least the Prosecco was enjoyable.

Dinner, unfortunately didn't came up to expectations either. The Market Menu was good, but the beetroot salad was served pre-prepared straight from a chiller, and was so cold it was tasteless: a pity as it looked good and was well conceived. The main course of salmon with a beurre blanc on the other hand had been left under the servery lights and the beurre blanc was dried out. I doubt Pierre Marco white would be happy with this standard of food carrying his name.

The hotel definitely has promise: the rooms and public areas are good, and in particular the restaurant is elegant. However it needs fully trained staff and attention to detail to get it right. Clearly the staff and manager are newly in post, so hopefully these are teething troubles that will be sorted out, and if they are it should be a pleasant hotel and restaurant.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for a recent conference. Room itself was very good but little to no information on the hotel itself in terms of facilities (not sure there is much!). The Marco Pierre White Restaurant was a big disappointment in terms of welcome and staff atitude. Kept waiting at the entrance despite a booking and clearly being seen by at least two members of staff. Staff then very slow to come and take order but to be fair food arrived remarkably quickly once ordered and was excellent. I was asked if I would like some water with my meal. I assumed this was complementary as I had clearly ordered another drink but later was billed £1.80 for the water! After my meal i left the restaurant to return to my room to make a call. I immediately received a rather obnoxious member of staff on the room telephone giving me a dressing down for not signing for my drinks (I had previously given an imprint of my card on arrival and thought it would automatically be debited). I explained that I was planning to return in a little while anyway to meet colleagues but she demanded to know when that would be and started to explain about people trying to get away with free drinks! I initially thought I had just been unlucky but from speaking to others the following day this was not an isolated incident with others being chastised for sitting down to dinner (at a table already containing colleagues) being challenged "and who are you?" and being made to leave the restaurant and wait to be seated.

Room Tip: Presume there was no swimming pool or fitness centre as no info on.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife and I travelled up to Scotland for a short break, @Travelzoo_UK, for my birthday and I have to say the experience was worth every penny!

A spotless, comfortable room. Friendly staff, great service and a top notch restaurant which is one of Marco Pierre White's Wheelers of St James' signature restaurants made for a great stay. Dinner on the first night was included in the deal but the food was so good we dined in the restaurant again the second night.

I have to mention how good it was to see the Aston Hotel give a young man, starting out in his catering career, a chance to create a dish for the menu on the second night so a special mention to Ayrton Hoare whose Chicken dish was absolutely first rate and well done the Aston Hotel management for giving him the opportunity.

Dumfries is a nice little town to visit with some stunning scenery and we would certainly stay at the Aston again if we re-visit the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 20 and the only thing we could hear was Birdsong!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dickson_maurice
Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed 7.3.14 on DBB package. Room 025.

Read previous reports and expected a few (probably minor) problems. I have to say there wasn't any real problems.

Reception - Prompt and efficient, fully explained directions to our room, the deal we were booked on and how we could choose from the a la carte menu with part payment from our DBB deal etc, was checked in within minutes.

Room - Clean and warm (didn't need to borrow a heater !), One downside was the lack of bathroom accessories, One bar of soap and One shampoo, not a major problem, just a bit surprised. Did find a bottle cork on the floor but apart from that the room was very clean and comfortable.

Bar - Had a quick drink before dinner, no problems whatsoever, man who served was very cheery and helpful (didn't catch his name), not a lot to say, it was only a 20 minute visit. Reasonably priced for a hotel.

Restaurant Dinner- Waited a while to order food & drinks (maybe 10-15 minutes) , a further 15-20 minutes after ordering (food & drink) we were advised the glass of wine my wife had choosen wasn't available, thought we were going to have to wait another 20 minutes when re ordering but alas not, was served a few minutes later, so a bit slow up till now. Food however was excellent, no complaints, stayed with the DBB menu offer and wasn't disappointed. Bit of slow service but excellent food !

Restaurant Breakfast - Couldn't fault breakfast, service was excellent, food was exactly as expected, all fresh and hot.

In summary it was excellent value and the food was good. Definitely return if I'm in the Dumfries area again.

Bellshill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

theyve changed the layout in restaurant.since the last time we where there.and its great.food was of a very high standard.and the drinks reasonable.staff where great in restaurant.nice to talk to.rooms not changed much but spotless house keeping doing fine job.the area around the hotel is lovely to..nice for a walk after nice meal.then back to the bar for a few beers lovely p.s would like to thank the manager in the restaurnt.blonde hair girl cant mind her name.but she,s good at her job...

Room Tip: all the rooms look good
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Station Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!