“Why be negative”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
“Why be negative”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I can't understand the negative reviews about this hotel stayed here on sat 3rd May after a wedding and all I can say is from the check in girl to the bar server after wedding at the easterbrook and the waitress at breakfast all staff gave there all. The rooms were very nice and the breakfast was good if anything could have been a little warmer but that's my taste. Overall very good

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 186534Shazza
Mel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Many thanks for writing a lovely review on your recent stay at the hotel.

It wonderful to hear guest enjoy there stay & there a number of teams members that enhanced the experience. Please be assured that your comments have been passed to all departments.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again over the summer months.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I booked a one night stay in the Aston in Dumfries for an interview for Nursing the next day in the University of West Scotland which was a 2 min. walk away. Super convenient.
When I arrived at the Hotel, the staff were so friendly, and there were lovely complimentary biscuits at the desk.
My room was on the ground floor, number 20.
Absolutely gorgeous, KING SIZE BED wow!! and a huge shower, lovely :)
Everything was spotlessly clean and done to perfection. That evening I had a 3 course meal in the restaurant, which was very reasonable, £21.50 for 3 courses!!
5 STAR quality, absolutely amazing, presentation done to perfection and the taste exquisite!!
The grounds of the hotel are also lovely, the garden area and trees and all the old buildings, were just lovely, I could've stayed there forever :)
Thank you to all the staff and Chefs!!
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would love to come back another time.
I'm also recommending the Hotel to all my friends and family :)
My favourite Hotel ever !!!!!! :D

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking time to write a review on the hotel & i do hope the interview went well.

I am absolutely delighted you had a wonderful experience at the hotel, there are so many elements that make this hotel special and you have highlighted many of them. Your comments has been passed on to the hotel team, and they are over the moon you enjoyed your stay so much.

Hopefully you will be back very soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having booked a two night stay, I decided to check on reviews on this site just before we left to drive there. Quite concerned to see that there were a number of recent negative reviews for both the hotel and the restaurant.
However we had no problems at check in, we dined in the restaurant and found the staff friendly and knowledgeable, no delays.
The hotel is situated in a lovely position, room comfortable and spacious.
I do however have one small niggle. Buffet breakfasts do not match a breakfast prepared to order. It is very difficult to ensure that all items are fresh and not inclined to become dry and overcooked. This comment would apply to a great many hotels; not just the Aston.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and I am glad I went with an open mind, despite the negative feedback left by others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Many Thanks for taking time to write a review on the hotel.

As the new General Manager, i am delighted your enjoyed your stay and you found all my team members helpful. As you say breakfast buffets are very common in hotels, but this is something i will be looking at over the coming months.

Hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Dumfries, Scotland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our daughter had her wedding at the Aston in May 14 and the staff there couldn't have been more helpful. It was the perfect size for 45 guests during the day and 100 at night. The food was amazing and the atmosphere created by the hotel was perfect. Thoroughly recommended!

Room Tip: The bridal suite was gorgeous
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for writing such a wonderful review on the hotel & congratulations to your daughter.

I am delighted you had such a memorable day at the hotel and my team enhanced the day for you all,

Hopefully we can welcome you & your family back many times for any occassion
Comrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked this hotel through Itison for a break with friends at the end of March. At first the receptionist could not find our booking but we were eventually checked in and told where our rooms were. First impressions were that the rooms were very nice but very cold. We set the air conditioning to heat and went to the bar. When we came back still very cold. We changed for dinner and even sitting at dinner we were cold although I have to say the food was excellent so no complaint there. We returned to our rooms and decided to ask reception how to work the heating to be told there was an issue with the heating and nothing they could do. However a maintenance man was there and offered us portable heaters which heated the room very quickly...result. Breakfast was very nice but my partner didn't get any because they ran out!!! wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: We were disappointed because we were expecting character in the hotel and got an add on part to hote...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Avis C
Many Thanks for taking time to write a review on the hotel.

Please be assured as the new General Manager, i take all guest feedback seriously and we are currently looking at the heating within the hotel to ensure guest are comfortable at all times. I will also be spending time with all teams to ensure we exceed guest expectations at all time.

I do hope you will return to the hotel, to experience the changes & improvements we are making.
Central Scotland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stopped at the Aston Hotel on 21st April (Easter Monday) as a first stop on our honeymoon. We have had various memorable visits here as I originally lived in Scotland & my now husband in England so it was a good meeting place for us. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the new layout/service/rooms & will not be planning to return. We went to the bar area for lunch for my husband to wait behind 3 other guests, then to get to the front for the barman to then say he'd serve another guest first who had got up to pay-not a good start! Lunch was ok though I ordered chilli nachos and was half way through them before the salsa etc came and the reason was "there were other tables to serve at the same time"-well perhaps fully serve each table to avoid any issues! Next to the room-the room we had paid extra for was looking a bit run down and it was boiling-the sun had been shining but the air con wasn't working. My husband went to reception to complain to be told sorry they wouldn't have anyone available to check it, they have no fans available & no other rooms. We went out for tea in the hope that when we got back the room would be a bit cooler. We got back and it was slightly cooler but still too hot. My husband was back to reception to complain & the receptionist got upset & apologised for this being our honeymoon & her not being able to help. Breakfast used to be nice but we were also disappointed with the lack of choice & food on this visit. In the end we paid under half of the price we should have paid but do not plan to return. We both highly rated this hotel as it holds lovely memories & on a previous stay my husband (fiancé at the time) arranged for flowers in the room & we were upgraded which was a lovely gesture. Now it just seems like the service/rooms etc do not live up to previous standards which is such ashame.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Smilerchelle
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Smilerchelle,

Thank you for writing us a candid review. We’re glad you chose our hotel for your honeymoon. On the other hand, it is regrettable to read that we failed to meet your expectations with regard to the overall condition of the room and food selections in the restaurant. As our valued guest, we thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Should your future travel plans bring you back to Dumfries, we look forward to an opportunity to hosting you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tarves
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed with work colleagues 2 days ago. We didn't eat here because the restaurant operation is a circus. The room was adequate but very saggy mattress. When you are selling a nights sleep you have to get that right above everything else. Also, 7 of us came back to the hotel at 10.30pm to find the bar shut up and were told we could not get a drink / night cap. For a 4 star hotel that is pathetic. If hotel options in Dumfries weren't so dire I would darken the door of this place again. Shambolic operation. The staff at breakfast appear to have no idea of how to run a restaurant / breakfast operation. Their customer greeting consisted of "aye, gang help yersell!" Dear oh dear Full Stop. Avoid unless desparate (which clearly I am).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Derek L
Dear Derek L,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. It appears the quality of the room and amenities did not make your stay a pleasurable one. We apologize for the inconvenience these aspects have caused. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Station Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!