“Nice hotel shame about the food”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel shame about the food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My daughter took me for my birthday 19/05/61 and though we live in Dumfries I have a passion for food as it is my job, we had been the summer before and was quite impressed, on our return it was nice to see one of the waitresses from our last vist, however the food was another story, scallops not fresh and cold, the two different steaks we ordered, was not to the standard of a Marco Pierre White restaurant, the rib eye steak was very over cooked to the point more than half of it was left,(it was meant to be med/rare) the other steak( sirloin ) was slightly over cooked and very sinuary, when explained to a member of staff the situation, I was asked if we would like anything else, but the length of time it took to relay the message due to staff shortage meant we had passed the point of wanting anything more, I did explain I was in the profession and understood the workings of a commercial kitchen, however I do not think my opinon was taken on board as constructive, therefore I feel no improvement would be made in the cooking of the steaks. There are some good restaurants in Dumfries, sadly in my opinon this is not one of them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Linda G,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. As always we are glad to read feedback from our valued guests. We’re sorry your dining experience at our restaurant was a let down. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from a three night stay B.B + evening meal. Very satisfied with the room, and the food was exceptional. Marco Pierre White has put his name to the restaurant and it shows. Will be returning very soon .

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank TerryDumfries
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great value and a good nights sleep. The Marco Pierre White Restaurant also helped make the stay. The location on the University campus would make it ideal for those visiting friends or relatives there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
sunderland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed in Feb. Room was really nice and very clean but the bed was far too soft for us. Staff were not that friendly but that could be down to the lack of staff. One member of staff on the bar on a weekend is not enough, she kept disappearing too so you could not get a drink until she returned, then there was at least 3 others waiting. The drinks were overpriced in my opinion and several of the lagers were flat. Having looked at the rooms and the reviews on here I was really unhappy with the service we received and will not be back.

Room Tip: A room away from the car park would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hayley1980
Mel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Many thanks for taking time to write a review on your stay at the hotel earlier this year.

It's disappointing to hear you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel, as the new General Manager i have made many changes & improvements to ensure we offer excellent customer service & consistency of all our offerings.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to experience the hotel as it should be
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Bullet points to sum up our stay on May 24th 2014

- fab staff, professional & friendly
- fab room, bed and shower - we love da shower
- fab restaurant, food, service & surroundings
- fab sleep, quiet and comfortable
- fab breakfast
- fab housekeeping standards
- fab hotel is all

We've visited this hotel many times and will do again, no question. Thanks guys for fussing over us and looking after us on Saturday May 24th... we had a lovely stay because of your hard work and professionalism.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Many thanks for taking time to write a review on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your stay here, and we look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the future.
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I took my family for Sunday lunch today to the Aston it was clean and very good quality hotel the staff were friendly and the dinner was superb we really enjoyed our day I will be back and would recommend it to anybody

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank richard h
Many thanks for taking time to write a review on your recent lunch at the hotel.

As the new General Manager, i am delighted to here that member of the local community especially you & your family enjoyed the wonderful Sunday lunch at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Aston in Dumfries recently and were very impressed.

As a disabled person I constantly face inadequate accessibility which makes me and other disabled people feel worthless. Not so at the Aston in Dumfries. I have rarely, if at all, have experienced such excellent accessibility in all areas.

The crowning glory, and there is a lot of glory to crown, is the dining room staff. The food is ecellent and the service is provided by such cheery, enthusiastically helpful professionals so that the stay is elevated to a wonderfully happy experience.

Room Tip: Simply advise the staff of any special requirements and your room will be selected perfectly.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian M
Many thanks for taking time to write a review on the hotel & the wonderful letter i received today at the hotel.

As the new General Manager at the hotel, i am always delighted to here guest have enjoyed there stay at the hotel & experienced the wonderful restaurant we have at the hotel.

Hopefully we will see you again at the hotel very soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Station Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!