“Hugely disappointing”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
“Hugely disappointing”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn, formerly the Aston Hotel for a weekend in June and we're very disappointed. The hotel was clean and the room was quite nice, although uncomfortably hot, but the main issue is that the staff are wholly incompetent.

We booked online and even though our reservation clearly stated we had already paid, our card was then charged again when we checked out. We noticed this on our bank statement and contacted the hotel, expecting them to quickly resolve their error, but they have failed to do so.

After a month, 6 calls and 3 emails I'm starting to think that the manager, who all the staff claim is dealing with this issue, doesn't actually exist!

The Aston still have my money, and with customer service as bad as I have ever received, it means we have paid an extortionate price to be treated appallingly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Clark_Flash
Mel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review of your recent experience of the hotel. Exceeding guest expectations is one of the hotels top priorities. I can only apologies that we have fallen short of that on this occasion. I would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

I look forward to your response soon.

Kind Regards,

Mel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Solihull
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel accommodation block is new and is attached to an old sandstone building. The accommodation has been well designed. My wife and I stayed in a king room. The en suite had a shower rather than a bath tub. The shower was powerful and the bathroom extractor fan was effective in stopping the room from steaming up. The bedroom was functional, clean and tidy. My only complaints were that the bed was hard and the air conditioning had a fault. I am sure that the air conditioning will be fixed quickly now that it has been reported. This is lowland Scotland and the times when air conditioning is actually needed will be few and far between, but my stay coincided with that time. The bed is another matter; Premier Inns have much more comfortable beds. Breakfast was a buffet, there was a reasonable choice and staff regularly replenished empty or things that were running low. Overall good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Evening,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent stay at the hotel.

It's always lovely to receive comments regarding the hotel, we are currently have a new air conditioning system commissioned which will be more than able to cope with the extraordinary warm weather we are currently experience.

I do hope we seen you back at the hotel, to experience the changes.
N. Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn en route to the Lake District. The hotel has recently changed hands so we were able to avail of a 'try us out' rate which included breakfast. The hotel is positioned a short walk from Dumfries town centre and children's play park in its own grounds complete with beautiful church. It was lovely to have a stroll around the grounds after we had arrived and there was even a 5k run the following day. The room was beautiful. Spacious, well appointed with the best flat screen TV I've seen. My daughters sofa bed was very comfortable as was our massive King. There was a range of pillows available also which was a nice touch. The bathroom was very modern with separate stand alone shower. Our room was also on the ground floor looking out over the green landscape. There was a wedding on at the time but thankfully all quiet and a great nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was lovely with great service even though it was clearly busy. The hotel also has a lovely sitting area to chill out with a book. The original building is very old and the modern extension doesn't naturally fit but underneath this is a great spot that I would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuartyboy
Good Evening Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay at the hotel, it's great to know guest are taking advantage offer we have being a new Holiday Inn and you had the opportunity the unique location of the hotel on the Crichton Estate.

We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel over the coming months.
Trearddur Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On arrival I was greeted by Mel, the General Manager. She made me feel very welcome and she is clearly a true proffessional. I was upgraded to an executive room which was just perfect. A nice sofa, large television, pristine bathroom with complimentary toiletries. I had free internet access which was really easy to access. I went to the bar and recived my complimentary drink, the barman was very pleasant and helpful. The bar has a small but sufficient menu but I decided to go the to Wheelers restaurant (part of the hotel). Service was polite and friendly, I ordered a main course which was promptly delivered and nice but not outstanding although reasonable value. I left early in the morning, the Night Porter was easygoing and friendly.
If I thought something that could be improved is to be able to sit outside, I saw two tables but they were behind the fire escape and wasn't sure if I could open it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the back garden as the front rooms overlook the car park
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Good Evening Andrew,

It was a pleasure having you stay at the hotel & it's lovely to receive your feedback on the hotel. As a new Holiday Inn hotel, it's great to see that Platinum Reward Clubs members are using the hotel & experience the Scottish hospitality we offer.

Hopefully we will get to see you again soon at the hotel.

Kind Regards

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stopped here on a business trip on the way back from Glasgow. On first impression you do think, "how the hell did they get planning permission for that......???"....with a modern glass and chrome extension to an existing sandstone building. However, once you have found the cunningly concealed entrance, you realise this is definitely not your standard Holiday Inn. Set in beautiful grounds just outside the centre of Dumfries, this really is a lovely location. Check in was swift and efficient, staff were very courteous. The hotel rooms are very good. The hotel boasts a Marco Pierre White restaurant, which I didn't use. I ate in the bar, which was very well run by an extremely personable chap by the name of Dyonne. He couldn't have been more courteous and helpful. My food from the bar menu was of a high standard, with slightly different offerings from the usual. All in all, a good Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dean B
Good Evening Dean,

It's great to see guests are experience the hotel & truly understanding its unique charm and as a new Holiday Inn attracting Reward Club members.

It wonderful to heard team members mentioned by name and i will of course pass this your comments onto Dyonne.

Many Thanks
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for a night on our way back from Scotland to Leeds. the hotel had only been a H. Inn for 3 weeks. The rooms were good but not typical H Inn Style, but no complaints. Actually the walk in shower was brilliant.
However, the hotel has a Marco Pierre White restaurant (Wheelers of St James), Food, service, ambience for dinner was faultless. It was a Sunday night so they only had a Table D'hote menu not the full A La Carte, still faultless.
Breakfast, however was not wonderful. The coffee particularly was ghastly, changed twice and still undrinkable.
The hotel is situated in lovely grounds, nice walk around the Crichton Estate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Evening,

Thank you for your 4 star review on your recent stay at the hotel.

We are lucky to have such a wonderful restaurant as part of the hotel for guest to enjoy & the wonderful setting of the Crichton Estate. I have passed your comments to the hotel Food & Beverage team to review the morning coffee that we offer our guests.

Many Thanks
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

From the moment we contacted the hotel to book to the moment we checked out this hotel was brilliant!

Myself and my partner visited the hotel as a base for looking at wedding venues and stayed for 2 nights.

We ate at the Marco Pierre White restaurant which was lovely and the service was great, we also had breakfast with a lots of food to chose from.

We stayed in the executive room with a bath and seperate shower. The bed was really big and the room was lovely and warm.

We intend on coming back to the hotel soon as we will be getting married close by.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Mel D, Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Katy,

Thank you for your glowing review on the hotel, it's great to hear you got to experience all aspects of the hotel.

We would be delighted to be the hotel you choose for your guests on your up coming wedding, please do contact me if i can be any further help with this.

Kind Regards
Mel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Best Western Station Hotel
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!