“Great MTB base”

Ranked #5 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great MTB base”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Hired 2 pods at Mabie House Hotel for a Mountain Biking Holiday. Fantastic base just metres away from sweet trails. Staff were great, even providing a hotel suite so that we could watch the England / Ukraine game!
I cannot speak highly enough of Mabie House Hotel. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for a room instead of a pod if the evil midges are out
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bossmtbrider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The location is stunning and our room was lovely but the attitude of the owner Nicky made for a very unhappy stay. She is extremely rude and abrupt and made us feel like even our smallest requests were annoying her, things like having dirty dishes removed from our room or ordering a cup of tea! Won't be back and won't recommend to friends!

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank LadyLuckGlasgow
Lockerbie, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

On 2 June 2012 we got married at Mabie House Hotel. In the early stages of choosing this venue for our wedding we visited on a number of occasions with the owner (Niki) who seemed lovely. My dad and I visited the hotel on a separate occasion to make a list of people who would be staying in the hotel overnight on the night of the wedding and we were quoted prices that seemed reasonable. After a few weeks passed I emailed to confirm the list of people staying and was quoted a completely different price - up to £50 more for some rooms!!! On visiting the hotel one evening, after emailing to let them know I would be over, I stood at reception for over 15 minutes before anyone came to see me. Fair enough they had a function on but I would have thought reception would have been manned at all times. After someone appeared I gave them payment in full for our wedding and I was given a "receipt" - a signature on a piece of scrap paper!! A few weeks before the wedding we met with Niki to discuss in more detail how we would like our wedding to go. We had chosen to get married on the side lawn, using two long bushes as the aisle. This was all fine - no problems - YET!!! The day before the wedding we met with the photographers at the hotel. There was a marquee on the side lawn which I assumed was for the wedding that was on that night - Friday. We arrived at Mabie House on Saturday morning to organise table decorations etc for our evening reception, only to discover the marquee still there. I thought "it must be getting taken down this morning". Niki came to speak to us to make sure we still wanted the ceremony outside - yes, "when is the marquee being taken down?" Niki replied "its staying up" Well...I was raging, not only had we discussed the week before that we wanted to get married on the side lawn, but she had written it down in her notes!!! Niki's attitude totally changed "marquees usually go there" or "I thought I told you there was going to be a marquee" no apologies, no nothing! And considering the marquee wasn't due to be used until Monday!! "There must have been a misunderstanding" is all she said!! Apart from this there were no other obvious problems! Staff were pleasant, table was set nice and the meal was lovely, and I would most definitely recommend the minister (D.Bennett) Once evening guests started to check in more problems started - Chips on the floor in one room, cold water running from the shower when set on hot, luke warm water running from cold water taps and WASP NESTS!! A wasp nest was found in a room which a 4 year old girl was staying in with her mum and all Niki could say was "thats what you get when you live in the country!!" No apologies or anything! Today, 4 days later, I received an email asking for an address to send a bill for the wedding - I paid in full before!! But oh well lets see what its for and then I will see about paying for it!!! Over all its a lovely hotel, lovely scenery, lovely staff just a pity about the owner and her attitude!! Just make sure if you decide to get married here to get a signed copy of all arrangements made with Niki and a price list!!!

Room Tip: If you get peckish in the night ask for the room thats got chips on the floor. Or if you like a nois...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Christine J
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We have just spent two nights at Mabie House with 14
close family and friends for the most amazing wedding.
We were married on the lawn at the front of the hotel in glorious sunshine by Reverend Bennett, who I would highly recommend if you want a more informal and fun experience, whilst still maintaining all the traditions.

The reception room looked fantastic and the wedding breakfast was very good. We had a menu which folk chose from which we then pre ordered four weeks prior. We had an amazing cake from rainbow sugarcraft topped with our playmobil bride and groom on mountain bikes. I'd recommend Tantrum Events in Dumfries too for their seat covers.

We were so well looked after from start to finish and given we had eight of the rooms it almost felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. We even locked up both nights! As weddings go we couldn't fault anything and I even rode the improved red run in the forest. Awesome weekend, massive bridal suite and filling breakfasts!

• Stayed May 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Mabie house hotel is situated in a beautiful location within Dumfries. The hotel is beautiful, the superior rooms are lovelly with breathtaking views. Very friendly accomodating staff.....and certainly worth a visit if you are a keen mountain biker as it sits right at the foot of the 7 stanes biking tracks. If you like walking in the forrest it has beatiful walks too.

Cant wait to go back

Room Tip: Superior room 9 is huge with beautiful views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Pitlochry
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We held a conference for 90 people at the Mabie Hotel and cannot praise them enough. They went out of their way to accommodate our needs and help everything run smoothly. The venue is stunning and was perfect for outdoor workshops - we were also blessed with the weather. The bedrooms are rather more luxurious than we are used to and were most appreciated. The food was excellent and plentiful and the staff were very helpful and attentive. I cannot recommend this hotel enough for the perfect conference venue.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is devine.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Whitehaven, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Last year on the 23rd of April my wife Judith and I were married there and it was fantastic all our guests thought it was the best wedding they had ever been to! The food and hotel staff were fantastic it was just perfect! This year on the 23rd of April Judith and I returned to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and it was great we had the best meal with fantastic room and service which made our day extra special!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple