“Ancestral Tour”

Solway Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Dumfries
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer guided historic and cultural tours of South West Scotland and beyond. We plan bespoke personalised tours with clients across half day, full day or multi day tours. We can also plan and prepare an Ancestral Tour where you can walk in the footsteps of your ancestors. We offer a door to door service and can collect you from any airport, train station or hotel. We will provide unforgettable experiences through our extensive knowledge and insight into the History of Scotland which will create memories and smiles that last a lifetime. Individualised tailor made tours of incredible quality!
Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

What a fantastic experience my daughter and I had with Solway Tours. I had always wanted to visit Scotland and look up my family history. With my daughter studying abroad this was the perfect opportunity to do so.!
After researching on line for Ancestral tours , I decided to reach out to Solway Tours.
They did a fantastic job researching the family background and locations to bring us to . They contacted our family head of Clan to see if we could visit the old Castle ruins and much, much more .
Mark and Lesley were wonderful tour guides-welcoming ,friendly articulate. From the moment they picked up us at the hotel in the early morning until we were dropped off
In the early evening , it was nonstop entertainment and history. The car was new, clean and very comfortable -beverages and snacks were provided . They Reserved a great spot for my daughter and I to have lunch at. What an experience ! It was something my daughter and I will always remember and treasure.
We hope to return again with the whole Clan someday !
~The Ferguson's

"trip to scotland"
"family history"
"multiple stops"
in 2 reviews
"falkirk wheel and the kelpies"
"scottish highlands"
in 9 reviews
"solva"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 7 June 2016

Mark&Leslie are superb guides, extremely knowledgeable about Scottish history, a super, enjoyable day!! Will gladly tour with them again; also enjoyed Leaderfoot viaduct, Scott view, first Wallace Monument, and added 1hr tour &tasting at Givenchie distillery on return to Balmoral Hotel; also had nice lunch with free Scotch-tasting in Melrose.

1  Thank edfeutz
Reviewed 28 May 2016

If you desire to become steeped in Scottish history, whether or not it is your ancestry, book a day or two with Solway Tours.

Mark and Lesley are historians who provide the data and the drama regarding events, all with natural good cheer. They know their stuff.

Warning: Your head may explode (but in a good way).

I would suggest going in a shoulder season (such as May) when there are fewer tourists (like us).

Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

Amazing day ,out all for a good cause. Crawick Multiverse at Sanquhar ;tour through Drumlanrig Castle followed by scrumptious afternoon tea. Icing on the cake was definitely the gardens at Portrack by the renowned Charles Jencks. The day was hosted by Mark and Lesley of Solway Tours. Their affable natures and depth of knowledge added to this" day to remember." Thank you also to John of Brownriggs coaches who manoeuvred his coach effortlessly around the narrow country roads which Bonnie Scotland is famed for ! I would wholeheartedly recommend this trip and Solway Tours. Already looking forward to the next day tour if this is the standard.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 April 2016

This was a sentimental trip revisiting places familiar from five or six school trips with 54 or so third year pupils twenty five years ago. The guides were also teachers with years of experience taking adults for the first time. From the very start there was an excellent rapport with the sixteen trippers, everyone was included and the visits were tailored to the expectations and personal connections with the First World War. It is incredibly moving to be at the site where relatives fought and died a hundred years ago and everyone contributed to the overall experience. I saw places which were very familiar like my great uncle's grave at Brandhoek near Ieper (Ypres) and also visited places that I had never seen before. The highlights of the tour included Toc H in Poperinghe where we had in impromptu sing song with the help of a local piano player; the death cells at the town hall where soldiers spent their last night before execution for "cowardice in the face of the enemy" (probably shellshock); the Menin Gate ceremony in the company of thousands where a Scottish piper played the Flooers o' the Forest; Tyne Cot Cemetery where the sheer scale of the rows upon rows of graves are evidence of terrible sacrifice owing to flawed plans of attack, and many more too numerous to mention. It was all commentated very ably by the personable Lesley and Mark, whose commitment to the success of the trip could not be faulted and by the cheerful driving by Beckham our Albanian Scottish driver whose skills in reversing the coach are second to none! The accommodation was first class and the Novohotel is situated a few hundred yards from the Menin Gate in Ieper, which was just the right place to be. I would not hesitate to book another trip with Solway Tours. Thank you so much Lesley and Mark.

Date of experience: April 2016