“Nice.”
Review of The Riverside Cafe - CLOSED

The Riverside Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$27
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Riverside Cafe is situated within the beautiful and historic Mill-on-the-Fleet visitor centre.We are a family- and dog-friendly establishment with seating for 50 inside and 40 on our stunning riverside terrace.Bringing together years of experience from different catering backgrounds, our team aims to provide the highest standard of home cooking and baking at very reasonable prices. Where possible we try to source our ingredients locally and are proud to make everything we can from scratch.We look forward to welcoming new customers and old to the cafe.
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We've been here before a few years ago and it is still a nice little place for a bit of lunch. The staff are very friendly and whilst the menu isn't extensive, there is a good choice of tasty food. I'm sure we will be back.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Visited last Friday. Had quite along wait before we got served the staff do seem to spend quite a lot of time chatting to themselves and it was till a chef came out of the kitchen and sent someone over. I ordered soup and a cheese sandwich. It was ok the cheese was a bit drier than I am used to but it was edible. My wife had a bacon roll there was enough bacon but no butter .someone did come up to us whilst we were eating but then went back to chatting behind the counter . All in all the food was ok quite pricey for the size of the bowk of soup £7.50

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stopped in Gatehouse of Fleet and went to the Mill on the Fleet for a quick cuppa, once inside we couldn't mistake the small of fresh scones just out of the oven. We both could only manage one scone each complete with jam butter & cream but what a triumph those scones were simply some of the best we had tasted. Staff were friendly & helpful and once ordered the food & drinks are brought over to your table. This cafe has tables both inside and outside overlooking the River Fleet and has a good range of local fresh hot & cold meals and must be on your list as places to visit & return whilst in Dumfries & Galloway.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Spent ages trying to get a light snack around the area (failed to served at all in Kirkcudbright), we were about to give up when we saw signs for this place. Great riverside setting, friendly cafe, giftshop, big bookshop upstairs along with a gallery. Cakes and scones were great. I had a roll with sausage (it came packed with four whole sausages....4!) I didnt need to eat again for hours.

The cafe is not super smart, but what it lacks in charisma it makes up for with friendliness and quality.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Visited the cafe a couple of weeks ago after reading the reviews. Maybe I visited on a bad day but couldn't see what everyone raves about. The cafe itself was quite dingy ,staff spent most of their time chatting by the counter. When eventually we were served they were pleasant. We ordered tea and scones plus a slice of cake. They were ok maybe it was because we arrived late afternoon but the scones did not have much butter or jam with them and had to ask for more. Considering we were paying £2.25 for a scone (no cream) I thought I was eating in the city. We have eaten in a lot f tea rooms and cafés in this area and have never paid anything like that. The surroundings and service do not justify the prices they are charging.

Chris S, Owner at The Riverside Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

It really is sad to read that you don't rate our restaurant, if only you'd let us know at the time then perhaps we could have done something about it.

I'm a strong believer in personal choice, that's why we don't pounce on you the second you sit down. Hopefully you got a "hello" or "good afternoon" from one of our staff, then once you've had time to look at the menu, we come and take your order. We do table service, and as you mentioned, our staff are all very nice. If you don't like the surroundings, you're free to leave. If you don't want to pay the prices, all listed in the menu, then you are free to leave. I'd be disappointed, but I'd understand.

I'm also a strong believer in personal opinion, and tripadvisor allows you to share your opinion. It's perhaps a shame that although you advise us of your extensive experience of local cafes, you have chosen to join trip advisor, not to let everyone know of the cheaper, less "dingy" venues, but to share your less than complimentary opinions on our establishment.

On the issue of our pricing, there are a few bits of catering economics I'd like to point out:
- Although we call ourselves "The Riverside Cafe", we are actually a 110 seater restaurant with 12 staff and restaurant overheads.
- Our scones are home-baked, from raw ingredients, not scone mix. They are also far bigger than the average tearoom fare. Unlike some cafes & tearooms, we do not use them on the second day or zap them in microwaves. You get what you pay for,
- Due to the size of the restaurant and our ongoing success, our takings exceed the VAT threshold. This means of the £7.70 bill you paid, £1.28 goes straight to the VAT man before we even begin to pay the staff, rent, suppliers, refuse collectors, accountants etc.

On the issue of the "dingy" surroundings, again I respect your right to your taste in 18th centruy historic mill buildings. Yes, the cafe needs a lick of paint, I agree, and I'm going to buy some new tablecloths and ornaments over the winter.

Finally, can I please suggest to you, and other readers of the review and this response, that although tripadvisor is a great forum, really the first place to share your unhappiness is with the management. It is hugely frustrating to find out, after the fact, that you have had a negative or under-whleming experience, when I can do absolutely nothing to turn it around. Better to sort these things out in person.

Thanks for visiting us, all the same,

Chris