Cally Palace Hotel
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Very comfortable accommodation.
The dinners were exceptionally fantastic! High quality food at every course. Truly delightful!
A lovely area for a four day break.
Golf was great.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Have just spent 3 nights golfing and relaxing at this wonderful old-style hotel. Bowled over by the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff, loved our room in the main hotel, enjoyed delicious food and the ambience of a well-dressed clientele in the dining room. If I sound old, its because I am! but hey, my husband and I also played 2 rounds of golf and had a swim, sauna and jacuzzi.
I would recommend this palace to all golfers over 60 who love good food too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heather_clark9
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Just back from a 3 day break at the hotel.From the moment you enter the reception area the welcome is warm and friendly.The deluxe room was large and comfortable with a welcoming sherry pre dinner.The food is excellent,quality rather than quantity with a choice of 3/4 items for each course.The breakfast is a perfect start to the day before venturing onto the challenging golfcourse.Many of the staff are longserving,Janet in the dining area,David in the bar and Robert the Manager keeping a watchful eye on the proceedings.When the weather is inclement spend some time in the pool/sauna/jacuzzi.We visit the hotel at least 4 times a year and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I have just returned from the Cally from my third visit there this year, and my 18th year in a row.
I travel the world with my work and stay in many varied hotels, so I believe that I am able to make a reasoned judgement.I have also worked as a "mystery guest" for a major Scottish hotel group.
The Cally has excellent service , excellent food and a very good golf course.True, some of the rooms are dated , but this in my opinion is acceptable in a traditional hotel, and I see year by year that there is an ongoing refurbishment programme.
The menu is limited in choice , but good and there are always alternatives available if asked for.Extra portions are also always available - again if asked for .
The dress rule is what it says, and should not be a surprise to anyone who has made any effort before booking.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My husband booked this "palace" for a two night romantic break in May, and I
have to say after reading some of the previous reviews for this place I am completely
baffled!! I would agree that the hotel looks lovely from
the outside and the reception and public areas were very welcoming, however our
'Deluxe' bedroom left more than a bit to be desired.
We are both early 30's and without exaggeration the bedroom was like a nursing home room, complete with two single beds joined together to make one bed, a horrible bathroom and a seating area that actually included a geriatric recliner chair complete with the hair oil marks that it's previous aged owner left before they became deceased!
This place was so bad in fact that we turned around, went back to reception and
left post - haste.
If you are looking for somewhere palatial in that area do what we did and travel
and hour up the road to Glenapp Castle - truly a palace with rooms, service and
food to match.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gillygirly
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Cally Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2010

We are sorry this couple did not like their room at Cally Palace. There are many different types and standards of rooms in the hotel. They vary in price according to their size, view and location in the building. The room reserved by these guests was in our Forest Wing, an extension to the original house. These rooms are not described as ‘deluxe’ rooms, but as ‘standard’ or ‘intermediate’. They are comfortable and spacious, with wonderful views of our beautiful 18 hole golf course and grounds. Some have bunk beds for children and some have balconies. Many guests love them although they are pretty traditional in style – some might say old fashioned. In our experience, it is very common to find zip and link beds in hotel rooms – they allow the room to be used as a twin or a double, and most people find them perfectly comfortable. We have carefully checked all of the chairs in these rooms and found no evidence of stains. It may be true that they are old fashioned, but they are very comfortable to sit in! We are delighted these guests found their way to Glenapp Castle, another of our family owned hotels, and we thank them for their very generous comments about the castle. It is, however, worth mentioning to readers that the two hotels are very different in style and therefore in cost. Glenapp is an AA five red star, Relais & Châteaux hotel, where standard dinner bed and breakfast rates start at £445.00 per room per night, for two guests, while Cally Palace is a four black star resort hotel with Forest Wing DBB rates available from £214.00 per room per night with double occupancy.

Reviewed 21 June 2010

We have been to the Cally for the last 4/5 years. We are not golfers, unlike my brother and sister-in -law, but that makes no difference to the way you are treated. All the staff are very friendly and courteous and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The rooms in the main house are all individually furnished and decorated and if you book in time you can request which room you prefer.
The food is excellent with a choice for all courses at dinner and the Cally Grill really sets you up for the day, whether golfing or just relaxing.
The grounds of the hotel and the golf course are a pleasure to stroll round and if like us you are interested in wildlife and walking there are loads of places in the area to visit.
An excellent hotel strongly recommended, we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We have visited 'Cally' for many years. The friendliness and relaxed ambience is wonderful as are the golf course ,the other leisure facilities and the setting of the hotel itself. Everything is first class - there is nowhere else for us!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Newton Stewart
Kirkcudbright Bay Hotel
Kirkcudbright Bay Hotel
#3 of 4 in Kirkcudbright

Been to Cally Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!