“Not impressed with the restaurant”

Bank of Fleet Hotel
Bank of Fleet Hotel
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Went for Dinner here with the family on our first night in town. The function room / restaurant was booked for a group so we ate in a room at the front of the hotel which distinctly lacked any atmosphere or comfort. The serving staff were just ok.
Food was standard pub fare but nothing special about it. What really illustrated the standard was the dirty table and the salt cellar which was filthy with congealed ketchup. We were the first cover of the night and this was handed to us by the server from stock so couldn't have been left that way from previous diners.
Following nights we ate elsewhere with much better value and quality

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shels4ever

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Didn't stay overnight, but did pop in for breakfast a couple of times, and ate there one evening recently. The breakfasts, which are available to non-residents, were excellent. They were freshly cooked, plentiful and very, very good value. I heartily recommend you to take advantage of the service.

Evening food was also good. Big portions of well prepared fare, and all great value.

The bar area itself is a big, warm, friendly local establishment. It's not chocolate box pretty, but it's clean, the staff are super, and they have a nice big screen to watch the footie on!

Thoroughly enjoyed visiting the place, and from what I saw in the bar and restaurant, I have no doubt that this place would be a good base to spend a few days in this lovely part of Scotland.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Not very impressed with this place! Without going into too much detail I found the food OK, but the staff did not impress.

The starter of Thai Fishcakes appeared standard catering pack, but I suppose that’s fine for the price. I had Lamb Shank main course. The Lamb Shank itself was quite good actually but veg wasn’t very appetising.

But actually, I’m afraid to say I had an issue with the staff. This place appears to be run for their convenience rather than for that of the customers. When I pointed out an issue which was actually important to me, this was not well received at all. Actually, if there is one comment from staff in service industries which really gets my back up it that “everyone else is ok with that/no-one else has complained about that”. What was actually said is that “no-one else is mithered about that”.

I hate this because this comment means it is immediately YOUR fault for speaking up, irrespective of the validity of my case.

I had already paid for a couple of drinks and my meal, so they had already got their cash from me. I had intended staying for the remainder of the evening but instead felt unable to do so, so I left.

So, although the food was OK, I’m marking my review down. Gatehouse is a small town and so they don’t have much in the way of competition, only noticed one other place, The Ship. Good job for The Bank of Fleet, I’d say!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We decided to stop here after a recommendation from friends for an evening meal. On arrival we were a bit worried due to the look of the outside of the building and the looks from the public in the bar, however once you are through the door into the actual dining room it is a totally different story. It is a beautifully presented dining room, even with the rain pounding off the glass! The food itself was excellent and the portion sizes were huge, I had the scrumpy pork which I would recommend to anyone, my girlfriend and I then shared a dessert, the size of the dessert was truly wondrous and I am glad that I was sharing it. This is definitely a jewel in the rough and not to be missed!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beef-Mc
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Spent two nights at this hotel. The room was compact and the bed comfortable. It was very clean and tidy and the bathroom fine too. Food was excellent with the full Scottish breakfast a real challenge in terms of quantity (the coffee was superb as well!). Had an evening meal which again had a generous portion and was delicious and reasonably-priced. Used the complimentary wifi and it was good to see a generous supply of complimentary drinks instead of the usual two sachets.

Only tiny grumble was the TV reception was a bit patchy, partly due to the weather and the location, but staff were helpful in getting it back on again. It's worth mentioning that some mobiles (mine is Vodafone) had no reception again due to the area. I'm certainly intending to go back and stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We were staying at Brighouse Bay and went a wee jaunt to Gatehouse of Fleet for the day.We called into the Bank of Fleet mainly to use the Wifi. We decided to have a meal when we seen it was doing a 3 course Sunday Special for £9.50. We couldnt believe the quality of the meal we had. I had lentil soup and my wife had prawn cocktail for starters.Both were excellent.Main courses were Steak pie & chicken with garlic and mushroom sauce.First time in my life I couldnt eat all the steak,what a platefull.We asked for ice cream to try and get our meals down.It done the trick! To sum it up,an excellent meal in very nice surroundings for only £9.50?We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was the first time that we stayed in this hotel & we will definitely go back. We stayed for 4 nights DBB and found the hotel staff friendly & helpful. The dinning room was lovely & the food excellent. The bedroom was clean & tidy. The bed was comfortable & we slept well.. The WiFi was easily accessible. This is a 3 star Small Hotel and as such we would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Newton Stewart
Ken Bridge Hotel
Ken Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Galloway

Been to Bank of Fleet Hotel? Share your experiences!