“Surly Staff”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Mathieson's
Reviewed 17 June 2013

we went to visit the Gretna Gateway outlet village in Gretna...we called in here as a bolt hole for the hunger and a drink...it was 5pm and the shopping park does not close till 6...we walked in and there was silence...no one at the door or the till...we decided to pick up a tray and went to see what was on offer...god forbid we had asked for anything cooked...I heard a girl shouting something to one of the other girls who was around the corner sweeping a very filthy floor...the lady on the till was like a bloomin' dragon...no smile...the manner on her was give me your money...it was a horrid experience and I pity anyone who goes into the café...also, the disabled toilet door was hindered by a big mop and bucket contraption and I was too afraid to ask for it to be moved...I felt like the women in there were far too busy cleaning up as we ate!!! approx. one hour before they should have been purely so they could leave early...I will not cross these doors again...very poor service.

2  Thank raven1GeordieLand

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stopped off here from nearby Gretna Green for a mid-day lunch. The food on offer was your usual cafe menu - sausage and chips, macaroni cheese, soup etc. We did not expect Michelin Star quality food, but we were still left hungry and disappointed. I opted for the Sausage and Chips, a food you can rarely go wrong with, but it was rock hard and tasteless. My partner opted for Vegetable Soup, which was water with large chunks of veg thrown in. The meal was also vastly overpriced for what was on offer. The only saving grace was the authentic sounding local name above the door!

1  Thank GoTeamVenture
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I ordered a child portion of macaroni cheese and chips for a hungry 9 year old and the portion was more suited to a 3 year old. When I said "is that it?", I was told "yes, but you've still a juice to get". We counted 6 chips and 2 tablespoonfuls of macaroni cheese. Won't be ordering that again.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were returning from a 5 day break in Blackpool and our coach had stopped off here for a one hour break. We went into Mathieson's cafe/restaurant for a mid morning snack. All the filled rolls and pasties and many of the cakes were pre wrapped and looked very unappetising. The hot food didn't look much better either. It took forever to get our teas and coffees and all the while my wife's luke warm pastie was getting colder as her temper got hotter. It seemed the wait was down to the staff who were at loggerheads with one another for some reason. To make matters even worse the girl on the till went out of her way to be as surly as possible and the look I got for asking for some napkins made me quake. Anyone visiting Scotland for the first time must have seriously considered turning around and heading home. This is an eaterie I will never return to!