“Fantastic room”

Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We had a family room which was very clean and tidy with plenty of room. The room was very reasonably priced and I would definately stay again. I think the room was better than any other Travelodge room I have stayed in, and I have stayed in many.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank andrew_hodkinson

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend at beginning of May. Days Inn are usually significantly better than Travelodge, but this one sadly has the standards of a poor Travelodge. The room was comfortable and well equipped, but the servicing standards were terrible. After our first night, no servicing other than replacing teabags and coffee took place - beds not made, carpet not hoovered, bathroom not cleaned. I complained and was told that it was probably because there were personal possessions out on the surfaces/beds so the staff couldn't touch anything. After assuring the manager that nothing was left out to make sure that the staff had clear access, I was told that "they have probably just missed us out then", and that they would do a "special" job tomorrow - note that the manager didn't volunteer to come and clean the bathroom for us !! the next day, the beds were made and the carpet cleaned, but no clean water glasses or clean cups (they were turned upside down on the tray in pools of water, still with tea rings round the insides, obviously they had just been stuck under a tap rather than taken away to be cleaned. I cleaned the mugs myself and went to the manager to get water glasses, who's excuse was that she was "up against it" as she "can't get the staff to do a good job - but it's a lot better since I've been here" apparently it was a lot worse when she took over the motel ! She promised to sort it out the following day. The next day we had hot chocolate on the drinks tray, but only one sachet for 2 people. I went to ask for another, and got told they only supply one sachet per room, per night, if we both want hot chocolate, we have to split the sachet between the two big mugs, and don't put so much water in the mugs. Talk about penny pinching ! I pointed out that this was our 3rd night and the first time we had had hot chocolate, so we are already owed 2 sachets, and after all the other "mishaps" surely we could get a sachet each. She got the hint and got me one extra sachet. I wanted to complete the customer survey provided in the room, but had to ask for one that hadn't already been completed by a previous customer !

The lodge may be in a good location, and may be very comfy and quiet, but all this lack of attention to detail and penny pinching spoilt what would have been an enjoyable stay. This is not what I expect from Days Inn and was a big disappointment. One mistake could just be "oner of those things", but not over and over again. Really could do better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank brenda186525
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Needed somewhere to stay to break up the journey from Aberdeen to Barnsley.
Thought I'd give Days Inn a try after several recent stays at Travel Lodges have convinced me that the brand has well & truly gone down the toilet. .
Got a good rate of £35 on Laterooms, arrived around 9pm and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. Check-in was swift and painless.

Room decor was clean enough, and seemed to have had a recent re-paint.Must have been a quick job though, as for some reason they retained the original electrical switches/sockets and bathroom fittings, which have becomed very yellowed with age
Shower pressure and water temperature in the bathroom were excellent. Two sets of towels provided which were better than the usual travelodge sandpaper, also shower gel and soap. Plenty of tea and coffee in the room, and more in reception if needed.

Had mixed feelings about the bed. Extremely springy,non-supportive and cheap-feeling mattress, which compressed entirely if you sat on the edge of the bed. ( Of course, this may have been less noticeable to someone more dainty than myself!)
Did't give an uncomfortable night's sleep really, but more the impression that I was trying to nod off whilst lying precariously on one side of a trampoline.

Thought I'd be disturbed by Lorries thundering past on a circuit of the motorway service area, but it was barely noticeable. Had a good night's sleep considering the location. This was helped by possibly the most under-rated selling point of this Days-Inn: All the rooms are on one floor, so absolutely no disturbance from elephants above (my pet hate in Travel Lodges).

Reasonable stay. Would consider staying here again to break up a long motorway journey.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WorldBreeze
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Reception was grim and very unfriendly. Cold night - snow the following morning - and room had no heating at all (not even the towel rail). Run by Days Inn, who have the most confusing web sites in the world. Try it: half of them fail at the booking confirmation stage. The others offer a wide range of prices for the same room. I found the cheapest price by using the Irish site - ten quid cheaper than the UK site. And then there is the stupid parking system that the staff cannot be bothered to deal with themselves. And the endless bumph that follows a stay at a Days Inn - loyalty programmes that make no sense for non-US citizens. It's not even cheap. Avoid: the Premier Inns at Carlisle north and south are MUCH better

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Mandelbrot
Reviewed 17 February 2011

A nice clean, warm and comfortable stop off. Situated on a motorway Welcome Break area about 5 mins drive from Gretna Green. Rooms have been recently re-decorated with flat screen TV showing Freeview channels. Tea, coffee, milk and biscuits replenished daily also extra available if required. Comfy bed and new bathroom with plenty hot water. Continental breakfast served in the room if required consisting of orange juice, cereal with plenty milk, croissant with butter and jam, yogurt and an apple for £4.95 or full English available with a voucher bought from reception for £6.99 ( I think) at the Welcome Break cafe about 3 minutes walk away also Burger King, KFC, Smiths newsagents and Starbucks. The hotel staff could not do enough for us. They were extremely polite, friendly and helpful.
Anyone looking for a resonably priced stop over whilst touring around the Scottish Borders would be hard pushed to get anything better.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I found this Days inn just brillant and the first time I have ever written a review having stayed in lots of places . We travelled with two teenage boys and the free wfi was a great hit . The room was very warm very clean comfortable and we ate just across the way with again a great choice and a Whs smith for a paper mags etc . Thought the water machine and cups in the Hall was fantastic . I actually found it very peaceful it was great on a cold winters night after an emotional day to stop of here . well done staff keep up the good work

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank centenary30
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I traveled with my boyfriend,3 bairns aged 15,11,4.The family room was clean,the receptionist were friendly and helpful.We decded to stay there one night,on our way to Newcastle.The beakfast,we paid extra,which we had to go across to the services for,wasnt very good and wasnt worth the extra £7,the bacon was over cook,overall it cooled down very quickly.

I found the Days Inn good.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
The Gables Hotel
The Gables Hotel
#2 of 5 in Gretna
Travelodge Carlisle Todhills

Been to Days Inn Gretna Green M74? Share your experiences!