“Very Happy”

Days Inn Gretna Green M74
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have stayed here twice now and have a third visit booked. Unlike most, I don't use it as a stop off but a base to explore Galloway and Northumbria. I each time I have booked through the out of season discount offer for which Days Inn definitely offer the best value and considering the quality and size of the room it has been excellent, I personally prefer this to many of the more expensive rooms I've used from their rivals at other places. The 24 hour reception is useful, and the staff have always been friendly and helpful. Certainly for the price I have paid each time I have been very happy. The road system does take a little time to get used to but it's fine once you've grasped it. All the facilities of the service area are within walking distance and it's only a few minutes down the A road to reach Gretna and the shops and pubs they offer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I needed to find a hotel to break my journey from Kent to Ayrshire on Christmas Eve. I could have stopped at the Travelodge at Burton services, but was appalled how much they wanted to charge to allow my small dog to stay in the hotel. So I plumbed for here as I could not get into Killington Lake Days Inn, where I have stayed before with him. I found the road layout a little tricky to navigate and nearly ended up back on the M74. However, the reception was bright and airy and the young lady on duty that evening at 5pm was pleasant and helpful. When I stayed at Killington they didn't charge me the fee for my dog when we arrived, but they did here £5.00. Which to be fair I didn't think was unreasonable. I was allocated room 2 which on entering I could tell was obviously the doggy room because of the smell. Clearly some older dogs have been in here and there is now an underlying odour, but it soon wore off (rather I couldn't detect it any more). My dog did, constantly sniffing and pacing (didn't happened at Killington and there was not a smell there either). The room otherwise was clean and overlooked where my car was parked. The bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels clean. The carpet did have a Labrador's hair on it, so clearly this is the downside to this room. It was warm and there was a fully stocked Tea tray with biscuits. The hairdryer though not the strongest was more than adequate and the TV was fine too. I'm not sure how comfy the sofa bed would have been, it looked like it had seen better days. Value for money is what it was; £39 plus the £5. Starbucks and the main coffee shop were open on Christmas morning as was the fuel station, the girl on reception on the morning did not know.

Room Tip: Even number rooms overlook the car park (at least the ones starting from No2 do. If you don't...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elaine R
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Arriving at around 17:30, we checked in at the same time as several other couples. We were interested to note that dogs were welcome to stay in rooms for a small fee of £5.00. They and their owners went to rooms to the left of the reception, whilst non-dog owners went right.

The receptionist was courteous and friendly. Our online booking had been received and there were no problems. Whilst the corridors were cold, our room was clean and warm. On the whole, this Days Inn needs some tender care to bring it up to date. We walked to the service area food court for our dinner which was OK too.

So, whilst it might not have been the most luxurious pit-stop we have ever made, it was .. .. .. OK.

1  Thank Leckhampton_2012
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Ok a hotel on the side of a motorway is never going to be great. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The room was clean but faded. In need of a good refurb. The bed was far too soft and worn. Will travel to Annadale water in future, far better accommodation

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I ended up staying here during some of the recent bad weather as I was feeling increasingly uneasy about the driving conditions. I booked in at about 2 in the morning and can't fault the service at all - helpful, warm and generous. The receptionist even suggested that she would ask for my room to be cleaned last so I could have longer in bed. The room was nice and quiet. The hotel was nice and quiet too even although my room was near the exit so I managed to get a decent sleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank nph32
Reviewed 8 December 2013

clean, warm and bright rooms only let down by cold corridors leading to the rooms, happy and friendly staff seem to be the norm and would definitely return to and recomend this establishment to anyone.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night 1st November on the way to the Highlands. Staff were friendly and helpful. Had a continental breakfast quite nice and spot on time. Would go again and recommend to anyone. Great stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Gretna
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Days Inn Gretna Green M74? Share your experiences!