Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Gretna Hall(Gretna Green)
  • Breakfast included
1,534 results
All reviewsthe penthouserose suitewedding packagebar menubalcony roomwedding partieswedding receptionlovely hotelbeauty salonfamily roomwedding nightreception staffanvil hallthe cottagesa la carte menuwedding breakfastamazing wedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently celebrated my wedding at Smiths, and cannot rate them highly enough. I stayed in the Thistle Suite which more than met my expectations. The room was spacious, clean, welcoming - everything you would expect from a top class hotel. The staff were friendly and obliging. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble. Reports from my guests, who also stayed at the hotel, were positive without exception. The standard rooms were very good and the flame effect fires were welcome as it becomes cold in Scotland at the end of November! The bar area is lovely with sumptuous sofas for those late evenings spent sipping a good malt whisky and the food is lovely. I would love to have stayed an additional few nights, just to work my way through the menu. The desserts were intriguing - beetroot or lavendar icecream, pomegranate pearls (a la Heston Blumental), marvellous! I cannot wait for my anniversary so that I have a good excuse to stay here again. Thank you Smiths!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are probably quieter as those to the rear get some road noise. The suites have large balconies which are private and spacious for those summer drinks al fresco.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pea-Bee
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Pea Bea, great review, thank you so much. Really glad you enjoyed your stay and that your wedding went so well. The chefs do like to have a bit of fun in the kitchen and we are continually honing our dishes and piecing together the next menu. Let me know when you are next staying and i will happily show you around our busy kitchen and meet the chefs. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I couldn't fault a thing about this hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed for two night for his brothers wedding. The room was comfortable and spacious, the bar was modern and had a friendly atmosphere and the restaurant food was delicious.
Our waitress, Sarah, was polite and had a laugh with us whilst remaining professional. We requested her to wait on at the wedding reception too but unfortunately she couldn't due to staff shortages.
The wedding reception was great, again the food was fantastic and the function room was nice.
I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Gretna.

Room Tip: The bride and groom were in The Rose Suite.........WOW! Fantastic room with gorgeous balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Samantha , thanks for the review and also for highlighting Sarah as a particular highpoint. I will of course ensure she reads your great comments. Thanks again , best regards Darren.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed in the room on the top floor under the Smiths Sign at £180 a night. The room was somewhat tired, dark and cluttered. It was not very clean - I had to wipe some "stuff" off one of the chairs, I think it was mayonnaise. The room was lit by three 40w bulbs, one of which did not work. There was a mess of cables by the TV. The wired Internet access was good and fast.

I did visit another room (one of the ones next to the motorway), this was actually nice and clean and felt quite roomy.

The buffet breakfast was good and kept fresh, but on one occasion the little pots of jam and marmalade I was presented with, had already been used. There was no side plate for toast, and no tongs for the sugar bowl which needed the use of fingers to extract the rocks so not very hygienic.

On every occasion I returned to the Hotel the rear doors by the function rooms had been wedged open (once I observed a member of staff do so) - very poor security.

Service at the bar was extremely slow despite being empty, one evening the barman took took 15 minutes to fail to make cocktails, a cheaper alternative was offered and accepted, although the difference was not returned.

The staff were mostly friendly and helpful, but, there were not enough of them.

Judging by other reviews it appears that if you wish to accommodate a large wedding party then you will be served very well. If you are a frequent traveller and inadvertently stay here as a normal guest you will be disappointed and will become a "challenge".

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dom W
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you for your post, all feedback is warmly recieved, the good and bad. It is dissapointing to read that unless you are with a big party or wedding that you would be classed as a "challenging" guest - this is not at all the case and we welcome as many business, lone leisure travellers etc as we do groups. This is a feedback forum however and i am pleased that you took the time to share your views with us, albeit we didnt satisfy you on this occasion, for which i am sincerley sorry. Thanks again, i will most certainly be sharing this review with the team, best regards, Darren

Reviewed 25 November 2011

We married here in April 2010 and the way we were looked after was second to none Sophie our wedding co ordinator was wonderful and the special touch having our wedding meal in a separate little booth made it private and special to us and since this day we have recommended getting married here to all we meet!! We came back in April 2011 for our anniversary and again had a lovely time our meal was made special by the chef writing on my desert happy anniversary which made my day!! There is not a lot to do in the area but it was a wonderful get away xx

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you Mollytot, it was an absolutte pleasure having you and your husband at Smiths. Do come back and visit us again soon, best regards, Darren

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Avoid if possible . its all about gettin as much money out of you as possible . unfriendly. food was below average . and very noisy . if u like sleeping next to a motorway . then book .. no value for money in every aspect

• Stayed: November 2011
12  Thank williamjoseph1938

I welcome feedback as you can see through all of my comments. We are of course a hotel and as much as i would like to say (although we honestly try) we get it absolutely perfect every time, we dont - I dont know any hotel, restaurant, bar that can absolutely say they do. But when i get feedback like this, absolute pure 100% nonsense, i just hope that you all as intelligent travellers will simply give it the credibility it deserves, none. Please do call me directly at the hotel if this business damaging review concerns you in any way, i will be more than happy to put you at ease. Best regards as always, Darren