“A lovely wedding venue with organised staff.....”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We got married at Smiths August 20th last year. From the first moment we walked into the hotel (before we had booked) we knew it was the place for us. Its modern, friendly and has a very classy feel about it. We stayed in the Rose suite, which is a definite must stay with a 4 poster bed, giant bathroom, 2 32” flat screens and a lovely big balcony with great views. The wedding organisers were great! On the day of the wedding they talked us through what was going to happen and we could set up our reception room from early doors, which really put my mind at ease as I wanted to have everything done early so I could get ready with no rush. We got married in Anvil Hall which is a really beautiful setting, defiantly worth the extra money as the photo opps are everywhere! We also used the car company that the hotel recommended and the driver was brilliant! I really don’t have 1 bad word to say about the whole experience of my wedding at Smiths and would recommend them to anyone. Thank you Smiths for a day to remember.

Room Tip: If you're getting married choose one of the suits - its well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

McGinnMichelle. Superb review. Really happy that everything went so well for you back in August. We are at present gearing up for an explosion of couples coming to the hotel from March right through to end of September, it really doesnt stop. If we can ensure evryone leaves as happy as you then i will sleep well in my bed. Best regards Darren.

There are newer reviews for Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have stayed here three times in 2011 - each time getting a great rate through their own website. We often travel to this area and this hotel is our first choice for accommodation. The location just off the motorway is perfect, but it's not noisy. The rooms are very spacious, which is great it you are staying for a few days. Tea/coffee facilities. Nice bathroom toiletries. Beds are reasonably comfortable.

The staff are all helpful, and reception staff are welcoming. Breakfast is a buffet affair, with staff serving tea/coffee. Evening meals are tasty and good value. Plenty of parking.

Being in Gretna, this hotel is obviously a wedding venue and certainly seems popular as such. Almost every time we have been here there was a wedding party there. Lovely part of Scotland - close to Carlisle, Dumfries, Solway Firth - lots to see & do - other than get married!

We'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you for the post and indeed for your continued business. You clearly enjoy this part of the UK and i am delighted that you have chosen ourselves as your preffered base from which to explore. Do pop in to my office on your next trip, id be thrilled to meet in person. best regards, Darren

Reviewed 25 January 2012

We booked our wedding with the wedding planner Sophie Yallop. Great young lady, very helpful, nothing a problem, dealt with everything by email, Sophie made our day lovely.

We booked the Ash Penthouse Suite which was fabulous, little tip to Smith's put in some draw units for things we like to put away! Everything is hanging space or shelves. Otherwise the place is great, my family stayed in the double rooms and family rooms all very happy on the whole, just a few litte niggles like you get in any hotel!

Sophie was very accommodating, helped with getting the family together for the wedding, rang me when it was my turn to leave, couldn't of asked for anything more.

We booked a private room for our wedding dinner after, food excellent although service slow. We we're in no rush so it was fine. It was New Years Eve after all so the hotel was busy.

Later we took everyone to the New Years Eve Gala Dinner, which was excellent, the food was fantastic, the chef very friendly. My only niggle was waiting for gravy! At New Year they didn't really do much to let the new year in, except count it in, they could of got every one up and got the party atmosphere going. The band were great but just a let down on letting in the new year. All in all we had a great time. Thank you to everyone who worked so hard day and night. You did well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Many thanks for the great review and congratulations. I will ensure that Sophie reads your review. see you again soon, regards, Darren

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Well I had my wedding reception here a few months ago it was the first place we looked at and instantly fell in love with it so immediately booked the date and paid our deposit, we went several times following the booking before the reception to view the hotel kindly being showed around each time by a friendly local member of staff naturally there was no doubt in our mind we had made the right decision however I was abit surprised to learn smiths wanted the balance paid in full no less than 2 weeks before the date I wondered what we where to do if we weren't happy with something but we gladly obliged and paid our balance there was nothing left to do but wait for our big day..

The day arrived and to our utter disappointment it was terenchal rain so immediately we knew that was our red carpet arrival was out the question but hey ho that's how it goes sometimes so I headed in my bridal car a little down hearted knowing when I got there I would probably feel much better, how wrong could I be!.. I was assured I would have a wedding coordinater that would be with or near my party throughout the day directing people as to where to go and what to do might I add this service was part of my package so had been paid for, anyway I arrived thinking my guests would all be waiting together in the hotel for my big arrival oh no, I sat outside in the car for 10minutes before gettin so annoyed I walked in to find my guests scattered all around the hotel completely unaware that I was there it was only when my husband seen the car outside he started frantically running around trying to gather our guests still no wedding coordinater in sight, finally my guests where all where they needed to be we greeted everyone properly then stood around as there was no one to tell us where we could go to get our photos done and this is where the photographer took over and seemed to bring order to the confusion, I remembered from a previous visit the lovely open wall fire they have at reception so I thought at least I will get a few decent pictures in front of that so we went round and it was broken! We had our photos done and eventually found a member of staff to try and assist us with getting our guests into the function room to eat this member of staff that was foreign therefor didnt understand a word we were saying and they where very angry looking and unapproachable so my bridesmaid then took over proceedings eventually getting the guests to where they had to be, the meal my negatives are the portion sizes are very random my husband had a lot bigger portions than myself and the food was over cooked, under cooked, chewy, cold these are my guests view I have to say the quality wasn't equal to what we paid but having said that the service was good quick the young waiters where very polite and assisting they made the meal experience much more enjoyable Later at our disco and evening buffet we where oblivious to the fact the waiter had dropped a plate of sausage rolls on the floor and casually picked them up an put them back on the table 2 of my guests witnessed this I could not believe it! At 1 point I went back into our disco only to find the guests from the party next door where in there dancing a member of staff asked me if I would like him to ask them to leave I let them stay and they eventually went back to there own party, at this point I just couldn't wait for the night to be over I said goodbye to my guests and headed up to bed to my surprise this is when things very much improved, we had a bridal suite booked which I loved every detail was perfect this just redeemed what had been a very dismal day, 1 of my other guests also had a room booked which they complained about as it hadn't been cleaned properly an it had a terrible urine smell however it was quickly and efficiently cleaned up.

My overall judgement is if you are thinking of having your wedding here I would really think twice but if you just need a night away I would definitely recommend the smiths and we wil
Be back for the night on our anniversary.

Room Tip: Get a bridal suite they are brilliant
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Whithorn212

Thanks for the review, it made interesting reading. I am somewhat surprised and taken aback by some of the comments however. Of course full payment would be made in advance of the event, i honestly cannot believe that you would expect to have a wedding or event anywhere and pay once it is over. Our wedding co-ordinators, are always around the bureau and hotel from 7am until 8pm to assist, prompt and ensure every wedding party knows where they should be and at what time. They do not spend the entire day with you at your side however - a wedding planner can be arranged to offer this service if you do so require. I am obviously dissapointed that you felt that the service of our co-ordinators where not what you expected. Thanks again for taking the time to comment. I will discuss this with my team. Regards Darren

Reviewed 22 January 2012

First it must be stated that this hotel caters for weddings at the nearly Blacksmiths Shop, and they do this brilliantly. It is a slick, well run enterprise that I would recommend to anyone. The price reflects the type of venue and short term wedding guests it caters for. They also lay on a number of events over the duration of the year, one of them being a New Years Eve event advertised as a Gala dinner. I am afraid to say this year, they missed the mark by a long way on this even, laying on a buffet and uncoordinated entertainment during the essential midnight hour. We have been here on numerous occasions and whilst the hotel is of a high standard, the events are below par and not of the high standard they offer from the wedding side. The rooms are very clean and of a constant high standard. Housekeeping is always obliging for the little extras that you may need. If you are thinking of getting married in Gretna and staying at Smiths, I would have no hesitation in recommending you, but for anything else, I would think twice. The restaurant at Smiths is OK, but after a period of time, you will have ran out of choices.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the hotel as A74 runs at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments really appreciate honest feedback like this. The special events i have put on (tributes etc) i did with the intention of encouraging the local residents to come into the hotel and enjoy an entertaining night with a 3 course meal at a low cost (£20 per ticket) - I appreciate the high expectation level here at Smiths and am proud of our high standards, unfortunately at this price it is difficult to reach the high food standards (in terms of dish choice)you would normally get in our A La Carte Restaurant, especially as we are serving 200 guests simutaneously. These events have proved extremely popular with fantastic feedback, but i am further aware that they are not everyones cup of tea. Thanks again, a real talking point this has been in my managers meeting. Regards Darren

Reviewed 19 January 2012

A fantastic re-visit for our first wedding anniversary. We were very impressed that the reception staff were aware that it was our anniversary and we were even more impressed that we were given a free upgrade. It was lovely to remember our wedding day - which was also a fantastic day made all the more special by the staff at Smiths. For anyone thinking of booking Smiths for their wedding they are first class and the hotel is modern and contemporary.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cal P

Cal P - great to have had you back for your first anniversary, one of many re-visits to us i hope. see you again soon, regards, Darren

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Just back from this great hotel, staff where friendly, our room had its own fireplace which was a nice touch ,the shower was the best i have ever used in a hotel. Will be back next month and am looking forward to another great stay

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmb61260

Great comments, thank you for taking the time to post feedback, it is much appreciated. Best regards, Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!