“Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Staines, United Kingdom
“Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We got married at the Blacksmiths shop and stayed in the Rose Suite at Smiths Hotel.
Staff were really nice and friendly. The Rose Suite is really lovely and the bathroom is massive. Our balcony overlooked the fields which was nice.
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant a la carte.
I had treatments at Spoils and again the girls were really nice.
Only down thing we felt was the breakfast which is self service which was not as fresh as it could be.
Overall I would be more than happy to go back there which hopefully on our anniversary 23 May we will go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Great review Carole, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. It is always very pleasing to hear that someones big day went so well. Im actually going to be having a little upgrade applied to the Rose Suite this year to make it even nicer, new sofas, voiles over the 4 poster, dining table, rugs etc, so do come back and let me know your thoughts on the changes - the overall feel will remain the same, just a little spruce up. Best regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Do not, for goodness sake, allow yourself to be booked into any room with odd numbers. These are all at the rear of the Hotel level with, and overlooking, the Motorway and the noise is awful even with the inadequate double glazing to the windows. Don't even think about opening them for some ventilation.
The Reception staff refused to move us at first saying they were fully booked with a Conference (they weren't) and so we had to pay extra for an even numbered room after seeing them again.
Also be careful about the food which is not good....burnt toast, coiled and baked bacon that I could not get my teeth through and tasteless mushrooms for Breakfast....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thanks for the review Geoffrey, a little extreme however in its terminology may i say, but i appreciate and absord all individual comments and feedback through this forum. The rooms at the back of the hotel really arent as made out here, yes there is a motorway and if you are a particularly light sleeper then maybe the hum of noise might disturb you, which it clearly did on this occasion, but i dont believe we are any different from being located similar to any hotel with local traffic, city noise, revellery etc. Our double glazing is as you would expect and performs more than adequately for the vast majority of guests. The bacon, which is a middle cut, therefore offering both back and streaky in one, hence the coil you describe, really is great quality from Cranstons of Penrith, not the usual hotel bulk packed water injected rubbish you get in many places, so im a little dissapointed with your experience, sorry for this. Likewise the burnt toast must surely have been held in the toaster a little too long by the waitress and couldve easily been rectified upon request (appreciate it shouldnt have been served "burnt" - which is surprising). Im truly sorry that your experience with us is a little negative and i take on board your points. Thanks again and best regards Darren
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have called in at the Smith's once before for drinks in the afternoon and found staff to be very friendly. On my second visit myself and guests had booked a table in the restaurant the food was first class , presentation and service. My guests had come up from London and were pleasantly surprised . Would recommend people to go to the Smith's restaurant you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Cheers Alan, appreciate the post. Do feel free to call in anytime with as many colleagues as you want. We try and balance our food offering to suit all tastes and all budgets (no easy feat!) with the emphasis always on high quality ingredients, presentation and most importantly taste, so to read your feedback is fantastic, thank you. Regards Darren
Bolton UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My only complaint was that on arriving at the hotel on the Friday at 3pm our room was not ready and we had to wait an hour. However from then on it was amazing.
I want to thank all the staff who worked so hard to ensure our wedding day went to plan. I cannot find one fault with the friendly, professional service which my husband and I and the guests recieved on our very special day. We had the most amazing day and night. The food was hot and tasty and plenty, the wine was kept flowing and every detail was attended to. The chocolate fountain was yummy.

Room Tip: We had a balcony suite with lots of room and an amazing view, although all the rooms were very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Lizzy, good to have you back again - for the big day no less. So very glad that the day and stay went so well, its extremely satisfying for us to know that such an important day in someones life is faultless and memorable for all the right reasons. We all look forward to your return, best regards Darren
Glenrothes, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Well what can i say! Best wedding ever and it was mine! From the very beginning the service was top notch. Heidi was amazing, helping us along the way before the big day. On arrival. We were able to meet with Heidi who explained that Carly would be taking over for the wedding the next day. My mum and I stayed in the penthouse for the Friday night, champagne, choc and wee teddy greeted us, unfortunately in the bathroom a wee bird must had used the facilities as there was a bit of bird poop on the sink, however after informing the staff this was quickly resolved, along with making my dad and my husband's room from a double to a twin. Complementary cocktails in the bar plus they made my husband’s fav a long island ice tea that was not on the menu but where happy to accommodate him! My cake and flowers arrived and Carly sorted this all out letting us keep the flowers in a cool place. Meal on the Friday was fantastic, no issues with wanting the bar menu and my dad and brother both got their peroni in a proper glass lol Day of the wedding was very smooth, breakfast was brilliant and a huge choice including haggis which my dad was very pleased with! I got to see the table in the private dining area before hand and it was lovely. I was able to add my favours and cake topper. Myself, mum and sister in law all got make up done in Spoilt at Smiths, couldn’t have asked for nicer girls, very friendly and they did an excellent job. My sister in law also got her hair done and this was all so lovely. My dad was moving into the thistle suite from his twin room and this was done very well and with no fuss. I was able to hide in the thistle suite whilst Carly organised everything and everyone else in the penthouse. The photographer was brilliant and made me feel at ease before the ceremony. The piper was also good and a special thank you to Sandy the minister who slowed down his words so i could repeat them as i was so nervous! After the ceremony, champagne and canapés were brought up as planned, no issue with this either. More photos were taken by the photographer who worked really well with the piper and minister. Meal was at 4pm in the private dining room, this was great, and it felt like we were the only wedding party there. The food was excellent and the service too. Overall this was a great place to get married, so much attention to detail, it was as if we were the only bride and groom in the hotel!

2 Thank Lindsey K
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Lindsay, what a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am so pleased that your big day went so well and that we were allowed to be a part of such an occasion. we all look forward to your return. all the best Darren
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Attended my brother's wedding at the Old Blacksmith's and the wedding breakfast at this hotel. Didn't stay here so my review is only about our experience as 'day guests'. The hotel is well located, which explains why it's busy. It is rated 4 stars, but the public areas were pretty much standard corporate affairs with no individuality. The service at the meal was slow, the staff generally very young and to be honest they were not particularly skilled or interested. The biggest disappointment was the meal. The soup was some kind of beige liquid. The main course consisted of two small slices of not very good beef, 3 small 'roast' potatoes which had clearly spent so little time in an oven that they were still white, a dessert spoon size serving of mash,some turnip or swede and a small amount of mixed veg. The dessert was some bland cheesecake. I find it difficult to believe that this meal was prepared by a qualified chef. It fell way below the standard of any normal pub sunday lunch and nowhere near 4 star hotel standard.

As it was my brother's big day we did not complain as we did not want to spoil the occasion, but had we just called in for a meal, or been staying as guests we would not have accepted any aspect of this meal.

The bar prices are frankly extortionate. hotel bars are generally relatively expensive, but Smith's is on a par with very expensive city centre hotels and is obviously taking advantage of its proximity to the Old Blacksmith's.

Based on this visit we would not be tempted to ever stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Appreciate your feedback Bigfam, albeit you didnt seem to quite enjoy your visit. I will ensure the feedback is shared amongst the team and any appropriate actions are taken. Regards Darren
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

The first thing I would like to say is how lovely the staff are and customer focused : I have a daughter going through chemo and asked if the room could be ready early due to our drive, so she'd could rest before we attended a family wedding ... And the hotel staff pulled through, this made a massive difference to our stay.
I thought the food was average price for hotels, but only average in taste.
Room 11 was spacious , with a separate sleeping area for my children . I found the rooms clean but just not worth the money I was paying.

But overall very nice stay .

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review Blezi, much appreciated. Your kind words about the staff have been warmly recieved. Best regards Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!