“perfect place for a wedding”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
UK
“perfect place for a wedding”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed at Smiths for 2 nights as part of our wedding at the Famous Blacksmiths Shop. We changed our room on arrival and this did slow check-in down but the staff were very helpful. The room was excellent, very clean and well-appointed. Yes, we could hear the motorway at the back of the room but if you want to stay in Gretna, that`s where the motorway is folks. We had lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The menu is not cheap and the service was slow but the food was superb. It was a small party of just seven of us but everyone was really impressed and we had a great time. Three of the group were so impressed they checked out of other hotels and moved to Smiths. Maybe things do go wrong sometimes but it didn't for us and the combination of Smiths and the Blacksmiths made for an unforgettable experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is noise from the motorway but it is not disruptive.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PattonyUk
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Pattonyuk, thanks for posting up your review. Not much i can add to that really, you said it so well. Really great to hear that everything went so well and i so look forward to you returning. Best regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We recently had our wedding as an upgraded package at the Smiths. On arrival at the Penthouse suite, we found that the room was in a very poor state of cleanliness, floors were dirty and not swept. Old soap was still in the bathroom. We reported this to the duty manager and he asked for it to be cleaned again. Still not too great though. The whole room needed a refurb, and we were told that that would be the case when we visited months previous on a wedding fare, hhmm, very poor quality.
The hotel organiser for the day was fantastic, thumbs up to him. Other wedding party guests were disappointed with the cleanliness of their rooms, but on the whole, the basic rooms are better than the suites. The hotel management are very averse to criticism which was a shame. The day went very well, but as a package, the details should be ironed out before you start to pay. The meal was quite nice, but the deserts seemed to have been made that morning and served around 6.30pm. In brief, there are more competitive and welcoming places in the area.
Oh, and the champagne that was intimated at the time of the wedding fare was replaced by a very nasty sparkling bottle of plonk.

Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Faulty Towers??? Honestly. Thank you for putting up this review, I will relay all of your comments to my team. Regards Darren,
Angus
Reviewed 1 October 2013

For years I have read romantic and historical novels about Gretna Green in Dumfries and Galloway and dreamed of visiting. Who hasn’t heard of eloping couples fleeing from all corners to arrive in Gretna Green to be legally married by the “Blacksmith Priest”?
Last weekend we drove down to do some historical research and booked in to the stunning Smith’s Boutique Hotel, a stone’s throw from the original Blacksmith’s shop and the very modern visitors' centre. We loved every minute, from the welcome by the friendly young receptionist, to the sad moment of our departure. Our room was large and luxurious, with a bathroom complete with bath and shower and, very important for me, the easiest internet connection I have ever experienced in a hotel. Since we were combining research with my husband’s birthday, we enjoyed an absolutely delightful dinner in the dining room. Everything was delicious and the service perfect and, my goodness, what an incredible sticky toffee pudding. That alone would call me back but then there was breakfast. It was all superb. My husband enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast. The highlights for me were the home-baked breads and the fresh raspberries and brambles. We saw lots of fat brambles as we walked the country roads around this perfect little spot. Frankly we can’t wait to return - couldn’t find Robert the Bruce’s cave and have to remedy that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlysAngus
AlysAngus, what a very well written review, looks like im going to have to dot my i's and cross my t's in response as opposed to my usual misspelt rambling efforts on here. Seriously, what a delight to have met you and to hear of your stay personally. I'm so glad that your husband enjoyed his birthday. I so much look forward to catching up again, should the proposed romantic authors gathering be succesful. All the very best for now. Regards Darren
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I am unsure whether this review maybe published yet, or fits within the forums guidelines but I felt I had to post my personal dealings with this hotel even though I haven't even arrived yet.
Myself and my partner of many years have decided to marry at the old blacksmiths shop, Gretna at the end of October.
There is only myself partner and our little boy attending and even though a relatively small booking for your hotel to manage, I have to say with the amount of calls I have made to your wedding team with questions and worries you would think I had made a booking for one hundred. Your teams service has been second to none. (I feel like giving a false name now when I ring just so I don't get a reputation before I arrive :-) ). But as no-one knows of our plans I have to talk to someone. :-)
Every call I have made has been answered promptly and guidance given to me confidently in relation to relevant forms and costings etc.
Because of your staffs kindness and professionalism I have no doubt that we have made the right decision in booking your hotel and I am counting down the sleeps like a child at Christmas..
For those that have been negative, nothing in this world is perfect and nothing ever will be. We are all individuals with differing needs and therefore no hotel could get it right for everyone. All they can do is their best.. And one mans orange juice. (as on one review) could be another mans champagne. All the best and I shall further review following our marriage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane T
Good to hear your plans are progressing well Jane and that the girls are looking after you. Bit surprised myself that your review got up to be honest, seeing as youve not yet stayed... you couldnt have been more honest about that fact either as its clear in your title. But hey, good to know that you are pleased with everything thus far. Look forward to seeing you when you do arrive, youve a big day ahead! regards Darren
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Perfect Atmosphere for our Perfect Day, honestly there were no negative points to a wonderful day, we were married quite a few years ago, third time for the both of us, we chose the perfect location for third time lucky, Smith's Hotel just made our honeymoon the icing on the cake no pun intended, we revisit every year each visit is super never forgetting the emotional time we had, it's yes our special place, does anyone even know they do tree planting to remember your special event our " Oak " tree will be there long after we aren't it's another lovely touch Smith's do, highly recommended " NO " if your getting married or just visiting it's " essential " to Chose Smith's & Gretna Green.

Room Tip: Top Floor for us, nothing but the best for any married couples you won't regret it enjoy the amb...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Arthur Y
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
What a delight it was reading your review Arthur Y, and for sharing the 2 photos with us all, really nice. Well you are always going to be welcome here at Smiths and Gretna Green - i might take a walk over to see the trees today actually, its a sort of transitional Summer/Autumn kind of day, bit of sun, some falling leaves and a little brisk. I think were going to have to keep an eye on that oak of yours as the years pass by, make sure its got enough room, itll be an absolute monster as the decades pass - amazing to think isnt it - you'll have future generations of your family coming here to just to climb it. Best regards Darren
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had our most beautiful wedding experience yesterday at The Blacksmiths shop and the Smiths hotel - I could not fault any part of it.

The hotel was amazing, food was fantastic (including breakfast) service was outstanding. We also had our hair and make up done in Spoilt, the staff were fabulous.

We stayed in the Bensmoor suites just across from the Blacksmiths, they were the perfect place to get ready before the wedding and spacious enough to let you relax - I'd highly recommend them.

Overall we had the most amazing wedding, I wouldn't change a thing and I can't thank all of the staff at Smiths enough.

Don't be put off by some of these other reviews, you can't please all of the people all of the time

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dawn M
Dawn. Great review thanks for putting it up so soon. It is so rewarding to hear that everything went so well. I have to say, the few challenging reviews we've had lately really got us questioning ourselves and indeed the actually integrity of this forum as a balanced review platform, but hey, everyone is entitled to make their thoughts known, especially if we've dropped the ball in any way, but we're all intelligent enough to sort the wheat from the chaff arent we. all the very best to you for married life, regards Darren
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Myself and my husband and 27 guest checked into the hotel
On wed25th sept from the moment we checked we was looked after wedding planner came to explain everything for the next day given the large party
Size we all agreed to meet back in lounge later that Eveing to have a meal the staff in the bar arrange all tables so we all could sit together absolute fab food was fantastic ,on the wedding every detail was explain and went absolutely brilliant could not find fault with anything so a big thank you to all staff who made are day amazing
Also please give are compliments to the chef

• Stayed September 2013
Many thanks for posting up your experience Kathryn, sounds like you had a great time. I Will most certainly pass your comments onto Chef, he'll be delighted with the mention. Best regards Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!