“Very Satisfied Customer”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Glasgow
“Very Satisfied Customer”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We recently met up with family at Smiths Hotel. It is an equal drive for both so the hotel is very well located. We were delighted with the rooms. We had a balcony room and our daughter and partner had a family room which was ideal for their needs. Our Granddaughter loved the bunk beds and her little TV which was set up at the bed. The food was lovely and we were well pleased with everything. The staff were all very helpful and polite. We will do it again as a family get together.

Room Tip: The balcony room was lovely well worth the extra as it was also more spacious. The bunk beds in the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Many thanks for the comments Liz, always nice to read the positive experiences of our guests. We are indeed ideally located as a halfway meeting point from many major destinations and cities and being just off the M6 also helps. glad to hear the kids liked the bunkbeds, its half the battle won when the little ones are happy. Do stop by again soon, best regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Well, what more can I say? We booked our wedding reception here, staying the night before and the night of the wedding, for ourselves and our 22 guests. The staff were lovely from when we first booked to when we checked out. They did everything they could to help and made the journey and the day itself fabulous.

The food was delicious. The spread at breakfast was superb and regularly replenished so the hot food didn't get cold. The meal served at our wedding reception itself was absolutely lovely.

We stayed in the penthouse which is simply phenomenal. I definitely want to stay in there again! Some of our guests stayed in a family room which was they really liked, especially as the bunk beds for the kids were separated from the double bed by the bathroom, but not enclosed which gave the parents some privacy but meant the kids were still close by!

We did have a few problems though. We booked twin rooms for a lot of our guests but they were actually given a double room, which meant that grown siblings had to share a bed. The children were served the wrong meal at the reception but this was soon rectified. And lastly, my friend's wallet disappeared from his room and has not yet been found...

• Stayed January 2014
Great feedback Alexandra, thank you so much. I look forward to you returning. Best regards Darren
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stopped here for lunch on the way back from Edinburgh and could not believe how good the food was! Inside the sofa's were great, really cosy, the waiter came over who was very polite and attentive. The lamb was that I ordered was perfect and the chicken pie my wife had was gorgeous too! Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the recommendations Loulou momo, really pleased with your comments. Best regards Darren
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed over at Smiths for 2 nights as I was getting married nearby.
My bridesmaid and I booked in on Boxing Day in the Thistle suite.
The room is beautiful, however our bath did have a constant drip which was broken the two days we were here. I know on Boxing Day and the following day, Friday it was probably unlikely to get it fixed, but we should of been informed. Did they think we wouldn't notice? It was fairly loud and you could hear it when going to bed/waking up. Having a bath was a disappointment as you couldn't relax. The temperature changed too quickly plus you had to keep letting the water out.
The following day I stayed in the suite with my husband and I expected to find a new bathrobe in the room, but this didn't happen, I also had to ask a member of staff if she could light the candles again in our room, just little touches you would expect really especially for the price.
We didn't use the balcony as the weather was so poor, and our balcony didn't seem to have a christmas tree even though all the others did.
Apart from that as I say the room was beautiful, all mod cons, very clean and comfortable.
We did eat in the restaurant and I ate off the al a carte menu. To be honest the bar menu was just as good as my bridesmaid and I ate off it the night before. I am gluten free and was advised by staff on gluten free options, however I was unwell and did have to leave the table on a few occasions, whether it was something I had eaten I'm not sure. But I would advise to double check if you suffer food intolerances.
The cocktail menu is fab, worth noting the 2 for £12 ( I think) has to be the same cocktails, which is not stated on the menu. They were really good though!
Breakfast is included and there are plenty of options, hot/cold, loads of juices too!
The staff are all very pleasant, from front of house to the restaurant and bar.
We did visit spoilt when we were here and it was amazing! The girls are lovely and they were brilliant with my hair and make up. Very reasonably priced too.
Overall it is a lovely hotel, nice staff, rooms generally are of a high standard. I would recommend it to friends/family and I certainly would stay again, I would try one of the suites as a treat.
We dealt with Carly who arranged our wedding and have no complaints. I would recommend letting the wedding team arrange your day!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the comments caz, all very useful. The thistle tap is unfortunately causing me some issues as it does need completely replacing and as its a floor standing type straight up through the floor its not quite as straightforward as id like to fix, meaning there is a delay in the making good - looks like the floor has to come up, would you believe it! Anyway hope to have it sorted in the next few days. Thanks again for the review, as you headline we will of course always try to do better, be assured. Best regards Darren
London
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We got married here over the christmas period. We can honestly say the day was perfect and all that we hoped for and this was largely down to the staff at Smiths.

The difference between a good and excellent hotel, isn't everything being perfect, but it is how things are dealt with when they aren't. There was a slight problem with our function room the night before the wedding, but the manager on duty dealt with it swiftly and without a fuss. The same can be said when our privately ordered flowers failed to arrive on time, the Smiths staff dealt with this, leaving us to get ready.

There were 13 other weddings the day we got married and on the day we felt like we were the only wedding there and that our day was the most important to Smiths; this is not an easy achievement.

Well done to the staff at Smiths and thank you.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Louise, great review, if only they were all like this. So lovely to read that your day went so well, its why we love being in hospitality. Best regards Darren
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Have used Smiths on several occasions at Christmas on route to Ballater.
General service very good. Food is excellent & they make a great French martini.
Rooms are comfortable if a little dark. Unfortunately on this occasion we were kept awake until late and then woken up at 5am by somebody 'stomping' about above us.
When I phoned reception in the evening to advise them I was told they had had the same complaint the night before although no one was staying in the rooms above. (?) The receptionist, I think his name was Tom very kindly offered to go to the room above and check it. He phoned us back to confirm there was no one there. So either staff or a ghost with hob nail boots on and moving furniture about, very odd!
We will use again next year as overall experience always good but will ask not to be out in room 4 on the first floor, spooky! :0)

• Stayed December 2013
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Moerom, thanks for putting up your review. Great to read the comments in relation to food and service. Bit of a strange one to pass comment on the ghostly antics above your room, but just to make sure there is no further shenanigans going forward I have called in the Ghostbusters. This will hopefully resolve the issue. I jest, of course. Seems like you ultimately had a good time and I look forward to your return. best regards Darren
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our wedding in August, after having a warm and friendly wedding planner, I wish I could say the same about our wedding reception. On the evening before our wedding our party of 18 went the hotel restaurant for a meal and were told that we couldn't eat there as we hadn't booked and the restaurant was full so we then had to get taxies to take us to a neighbouring hotel for a meal. On our wedding day we paid £11 per person for bacon and sausage baps for a evening snack for our guests (which were overpriced to begin with as you could order the same from the hotel bar for £6 ) but as it was our wedding day we paid the extra expecting it to be served to us to justify the extra £5 but instead what we had was embarrassing, a tin full of square sausage and a tin full of bacon next to massive unbuttered dry rolls, no presentation considered and basically dumped at the end of our top table. Charging £11 for this is completely unjustified. After our evening reception the staff came in to clean out the room and were picking up everything from the tables and putting them in the bin, we lost wedding favours and gifts as they had been thrown out, and the bar staff misplaced my elderly grandad's wedding gift, they did replace it to their credit but it caused him deep distress as he placed his gift with staff expecting it to be kept safe. All I can say is we as a whole were deeply disappointed with the service considering it wasn't cheap in the least and unfortunetly our wedding reception will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Sorry to say we won't be returning and I cannot say we would recommend this hotel either.

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Kelt2582
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
This is such a disappointing review and I'm so sorry that a guest has gone away, harboured these thoughts since August and now decided to post them on here. It is always very difficult not to react to such comments aggressively as it clearly isn't the whole story and future guests will absolutely read the comments and form an opinion based upon them. There is no question that its unacceptable for any hotel, restaurant, bar etc to simply deny poor service and product and I fully accept and appreciate that a return wont happen and I do agree, its probably for the best, as much as it pains me to say, but we have to consider the reality and integrity of the complaints laid out here. To clear up a few things (may get a bit defensive here, sorry about that folks), we didn't say the party couldn't dine with us, we politely informed that the restaurant was fully booked at that particular time and it would be possible at a different, slightly later time. To simply shoehorn a table of 18 in, there and then, when already full at that time slot would have been very silly of us with the consequence of poor service and rushed food to not only the 18, but for the other diners who had actually booked, I'm simply not prepared to do that and to be honest don't know of many popular busy restaurants, similar to ourselves on a peak night that could just accept a party of 18 walk in. No actual gifts went missing at all, the staff cleared debris from tables including half used favors and miscellaneous wrappings, rubbish, empty bottles etc, anything of memorable value, table plans, decorations, full favors are always kept. The grandfathers gift was given to a junior staff member and stored unbeknown to the Banqueting manager/ supervisor and subsequently located and not replaced - admittedly an error on the staff members behalf perhaps for not informing the manager, but resolved very quickly. I'm not quite sure about the comments about sausage and bacon, we don't actually serve square (Lorne sausage) and always make up the sandwiches, plus they come with chips. It is of course a matter of opinion of what is not cheap, but I wont be so crude as to go into the costs paid as they are readily accessible on all our literature and websites and I believe offer quite exceptional value when considering the whole wedding cost, appreciate i would say that i guess. It is again disappointing and somewhat unbelievable to read that the wedding will be only remembered for these reasons. As I've said, I'm bitterly disappointed at this feedback and I apologise for the defensive nature of my reply, but sometimes you've just got to say it how it is and not except mischievous exaggeration. Best regards as always Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!