“Excellent wedding planner's but waitressing staff let it down”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Complaint to Smiths
Im writing this letter to you express my disappointment with the level of service i recieved on my wedding day. The evening before the wedding 4th December. Me and my partner met with a wedding planner to talk through some details. It was whilst talking to her that a few details weren't what we wanted. These were having drinks and canapés at the bar, we said we weren't happy with that so she arranged a sofa area that we would have. Which seemed ok. And when asking about the photography package and when the photographer would arrive and how long he would stay for we were told wed only booked him for the ceremony, we would have the photographer for about an hour as he had another wedding at 1pm. Possibly a fault on our part as we should have askes sooner but as we had a package for the day we though that included the photographer all day. Even still the planner arranged for him to come back at 2pm to take pictures of us cutting the cake brilliant. She couldn't have been more helpful.
Day of the wedding was fine wedding planner met us to decorate the table for us while we were getting ready.

After the marriage ceremony about 1pm our party (11 people) walked over to the hotel and waited for all the guests to come. We wanted in the lobby area 5 - 10 minutes later a man came out to guide us to the bar, i said we're just waiting for a few more people and he walked off. Finally when all guests arrived about quarter past 1 we sat at the sofa area reserved for us. And waited no one greeted us or welcomed us or even offered or brought over the drinks (our arrival drinks) the groom had to ask at the bar. A lady came over a stood with a tray of drinks no smile no congratulations didn't even hand out drinks or tell people what were in them. And a additional drink was not offered to the child in the group (even with a bill being given, she was just ignored). After waiting with the women still stood with drinks i asked to go to our room (dining area ) the waiter lady said oh no people have canapés out here. To which i went any way feeling completely embaresed by the unorganisation. Same waitress followed us with drinks on tray still where i asked her just to put them down, which she did and then left. Same thing happened with canapés waitress stood at the end of the table holding the tray didn't tell us what they were and didn't offer them out just standing there. The canapés came on a long tray scattered and only 40 and were not 6 varieties as stated and not enough of each variety. When asking another man came over to look, he then told us what each one was, when u asked where was 1 of each variety he said yes thats your canapés. After looking at the confirmation agreed we should have more canapés and brought out another tray which we were very gratful for but embarrassing that we had to check and ask. The starters (menu 2) soup and prawn cocktail was very nice, big portions perfect. However when being served them the ladies struggled as guests had forgotten what they'd ordered the waitress wsdbt particular friendly or helpful but said its because we never made a table plan but we were not offered to make one. The desert was lovely. Chocolate tart and a cheesecake, both looked lovely and tasted delicious. However the main meals were not what i expexted and a let down to the rest of the meal. Roast beef and chicken. the beef and chicken was nice but the chicken meal that was served with fondant potato was actually a combination of mashed potatoes and roast potatoes (is that right?) and the gravy that went with each meal was watery and tasteless with lumpy type bits in.

The bar staff that served us were lovely as were the reception staff checking in and checking out.
I would recommend smiths to any one and already have however i think some issues need looking into, unfortunately the bad things are what people remember and on a wedding day is unforgiving.
I would like to thank our wedding planner as she had aranged and resolved thing's we weren't sure of or happy with prior to day, made me (the bride) feel special. I would also recommend spoilt at smith's, did exactly what i want and even got mt tiara i forgot from the room.

So thankyou smiths but please when booking make this 100% clear, and Prehaps remind staff serving weddings to be contious of there moods and body language wheb serving, after all its a happy occasion.

• Stayed: December 2013
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review babyshepherd, most appreciated. I will of course take on board your comments and share them with the team. It is very rare that we get negative comments in relation to our service staff and the canapés, but as much as we try I know sometimes things may not be quite up to an individuals expectation and I'm sorry this was the case with yourself with the outlined complaints. Thank you for the positives also , these are again appreciated. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went for our wedding. Had a young baby with us. Staff were very helpful with everything eg providing equipment and steralising bottles etc. Wedding day was lovely, made to feel special even though they see hundreds of weddings. Lovely surroundings, good food, friendly and helpful staff. Rooms comfy and clean.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thanks for the post sallyboo, glad to hear all went so well. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed over for two nights as my brother in-law was getting married at the end of December. We had the family room no 15 with a bunk bed on the first floor. The room was nice and good size for a family but look a bit dark even though there were some lamps around. My room was over looking the motorway and this made it very noisy at night, I could have the curtains open as everyone from the car park was looking through the window into the room. There were children running on corridors and on the floor above and we could hear them from early morning to late night. I was told that rooms on the other side (even numbers) are less noisy.
Breakfast was included with the price of the room. It was ok, no many fruit selections, English breakfast items to choose from and some cereal and juices. The restaurant was very dark, it seems they like to economise with electricity.
Staff was fine. Nothing outstanding.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with even numbers as the ones with odd numbers over look the motor way and are very...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the feedback meli, appreciate it. Sorry to hear that you thought the hotel a bit dark. We obviously try to balance the whole experience offering various lighting options to create the right mood for whatever youre here for, a bright airy lounge for day business use, a darker ambience for the evening restaurant with candles etc and likewise the rooms have multiple options for varying degrees of light and mood. the rooms at the back are a little darker than the front you are correct, this due to the natural aspect of the building. Thanks anyway for the review, it has all been noted, shared and discussed. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We recently met up with family at Smiths Hotel. It is an equal drive for both so the hotel is very well located. We were delighted with the rooms. We had a balcony room and our daughter and partner had a family room which was ideal for their needs. Our Granddaughter loved the bunk beds and her little TV which was set up at the bed. The food was lovely and we were well pleased with everything. The staff were all very helpful and polite. We will do it again as a family get together.

Room Tip: The balcony room was lovely well worth the extra as it was also more spacious. The bunk beds in the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for the comments Liz, always nice to read the positive experiences of our guests. We are indeed ideally located as a halfway meeting point from many major destinations and cities and being just off the M6 also helps. glad to hear the kids liked the bunkbeds, its half the battle won when the little ones are happy. Do stop by again soon, best regards Darren

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Well, what more can I say? We booked our wedding reception here, staying the night before and the night of the wedding, for ourselves and our 22 guests. The staff were lovely from when we first booked to when we checked out. They did everything they could to help and made the journey and the day itself fabulous.

The food was delicious. The spread at breakfast was superb and regularly replenished so the hot food didn't get cold. The meal served at our wedding reception itself was absolutely lovely.

We stayed in the penthouse which is simply phenomenal. I definitely want to stay in there again! Some of our guests stayed in a family room which was they really liked, especially as the bunk beds for the kids were separated from the double bed by the bathroom, but not enclosed which gave the parents some privacy but meant the kids were still close by!

We did have a few problems though. We booked twin rooms for a lot of our guests but they were actually given a double room, which meant that grown siblings had to share a bed. The children were served the wrong meal at the reception but this was soon rectified. And lastly, my friend's wallet disappeared from his room and has not yet been found...

• Stayed: January 2014

Great feedback Alexandra, thank you so much. I look forward to you returning. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stopped here for lunch on the way back from Edinburgh and could not believe how good the food was! Inside the sofa's were great, really cosy, the waiter came over who was very polite and attentive. The lamb was that I ordered was perfect and the chicken pie my wife had was gorgeous too! Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the recommendations Loulou momo, really pleased with your comments. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed over at Smiths for 2 nights as I was getting married nearby.
My bridesmaid and I booked in on Boxing Day in the Thistle suite.
The room is beautiful, however our bath did have a constant drip which was broken the two days we were here. I know on Boxing Day and the following day, Friday it was probably unlikely to get it fixed, but we should of been informed. Did they think we wouldn't notice? It was fairly loud and you could hear it when going to bed/waking up. Having a bath was a disappointment as you couldn't relax. The temperature changed too quickly plus you had to keep letting the water out.
The following day I stayed in the suite with my husband and I expected to find a new bathrobe in the room, but this didn't happen, I also had to ask a member of staff if she could light the candles again in our room, just little touches you would expect really especially for the price.
We didn't use the balcony as the weather was so poor, and our balcony didn't seem to have a christmas tree even though all the others did.
Apart from that as I say the room was beautiful, all mod cons, very clean and comfortable.
We did eat in the restaurant and I ate off the al a carte menu. To be honest the bar menu was just as good as my bridesmaid and I ate off it the night before. I am gluten free and was advised by staff on gluten free options, however I was unwell and did have to leave the table on a few occasions, whether it was something I had eaten I'm not sure. But I would advise to double check if you suffer food intolerances.
The cocktail menu is fab, worth noting the 2 for £12 ( I think) has to be the same cocktails, which is not stated on the menu. They were really good though!
Breakfast is included and there are plenty of options, hot/cold, loads of juices too!
The staff are all very pleasant, from front of house to the restaurant and bar.
We did visit spoilt when we were here and it was amazing! The girls are lovely and they were brilliant with my hair and make up. Very reasonably priced too.
Overall it is a lovely hotel, nice staff, rooms generally are of a high standard. I would recommend it to friends/family and I certainly would stay again, I would try one of the suites as a treat.
We dealt with Carly who arranged our wedding and have no complaints. I would recommend letting the wedding team arrange your day!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the comments caz, all very useful. The thistle tap is unfortunately causing me some issues as it does need completely replacing and as its a floor standing type straight up through the floor its not quite as straightforward as id like to fix, meaning there is a delay in the making good - looks like the floor has to come up, would you believe it! Anyway hope to have it sorted in the next few days. Thanks again for the review, as you headline we will of course always try to do better, be assured. Best regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!