“Fantastic”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Had a great stay and an even better meal. The food was wonderful had the biggest steak I've ever had and the passion fruit brulee was to die for. Staff first class. Booked our wedding Reception before we left. Cannot wait till next year!

• Stayed: February 2014
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

That's great news Claire, I'm so pleased that you've chosen us to host the big day - roll on next year. Regards Darren

Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently had some business meetings in the Gretna area, and chose to stay at the Smiths hotel at the recommendation of a colleague. I had a very pleasant one night stay. The room was excellent, the staff friendly and the food was top quality. The breakfast was sight to behold....!

Well done to all of the staff at the Smiths hotel for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable!

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks Dean, nice to get a review from a business perspective (which does make up most of my midweek trade) as you guys generally don't post too much up. Anyway, great to hear that everything was to your satisfaction and that the recommendation was justified. All the best Darren

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Well presented and comfortable. A warm, welcoming atmosphere that is enhanced by the standard of the room facilities and comfort of the bed. I had room service as I arrived at the hotel late and the food was excellent (can certainly recommend the pizzas) my only one criticism of this hotel was that the bath had not been cleaned properly. Other than that everything was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for the comments Russ, much appreciated. Apologies for the misdemeanour with the bath, I've let housekeeping know they missed a bit. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel has lovely decor and very clean and trendy. It is ideally situated for gretna green weddings .The people who have came on and moaned about it being close to a motorway I dont understand why they would moan , they blatantly see its situation on google maps before booking that its near a motorway off ramp, some people (ie me ) see this as advantageous, so easy to find. Some reviewiers pay far too much attention to the smallest inconsequential details .I found the hotel peaceful as was facing into the fields and front car park and decent quality double glazing. Fresh decor, luxury bathroom with a very deep long fullsized bath and marble plinths around the sink. The air con was nice .Good spacious bedroom and out of this world meal in the lounge. Friendly joky staff with big smiles and very polite. Plenty of fresh towels in the bathroom. Water so hot and easily adjustable, I had baths so cannot comment on the shower head .Decent sized wall mounted telly with freeview and a separate DVD player/cd for entertainment. Lots of nice lights and a reading bedside light , well stocked tea caddy and fullsized kettle which makes all the difference as I have had tiny little travel kettle in rooms. The floor of the bathroom needed wiped it was slightly dust,. I could see that from the bath but it was spotless. Hankies in a box, 3 toilet rolls, a bin with a lid and sanitary bags in bathroom and complimentary toiletries. The floorboards dont creak and no other guests sounds were audible. I think the floors are insulated and the walls and probably stone floors. The lift to all levels was working a max of 4 people and the stairs were carpetted and had handrails up both sides .The bedding looked and smelled brand new and the bed was very comfy and was a king sized bed I slept very well in it and the breakfast was self service hot and cold buffet. Self service , but they gave you tea or coffee if you requested it and let you to help yourself ideal for greedy people who take doggy bags away with them LOL loved my trip. Hotel is quiet, perhaps to quiet if you want entertained a gym or a pool. They do have a beauty salon /hairdressers so can go for a massage and relax in plush surroundings.

Room Tip: if you dont like motorway traffic !! then dont stay here in the back of the hotel request a front ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 290Glasgow

Thanks 290, very comprehensive feedback. I secretly love it when guests write statements as you have done on your opener, sometimes its what I want to write, but have to hold back, so you gave me a little pleasurable chuckle there. Thanks again for taking the time to post up, I simply don't get tired of reading such experiences. all the best Darren

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I thought the hotel was great and the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed two nights and there was fifteen people in our party. The rooms are lovely and the food was good. Myself and my husband stayed in one of their cottages, this was to allow our dog to come with us. I think this was a one off though. The cottage was beautiful and I am hoping to go back there next year for our anniversary. All of my party had a great time and they all loved the hotel. I also had the wedding that I wanted. Thanks Smiths.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the motorway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thanks Vonnie, I enjoyed reading your review and the positive feedback on our cottages - superb aren't they. Vonnie......Don't wait until next year to come back, keep updated with our website and like our facebook, we have offers all the time. Tell that husband of yours to treat you. I so look forward to you returning (not so much looking forward to the angry letter/call from your husband for putting ideas in your head!!). Best regards Darren

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I got married at Gretna in January and stopped at the smiths hotel. We had the rose suite which was just stunning.all 24 of us ate in the bar and the food was lovely. The day of the wedding I had my make up done in the salon and our wedding planner at the hotel went over everything with us ensuring our day was perfect. The Gretna flower box did our flowers and decorated our room with flowers and seat covers even down to the small details of making a flower pin for my 1 year old son, they even put ribbon on his high chair. We had a lovely surprise of a horse and carriage. Tartan carriages are lovely people and this made our day extra special. After the wedding g we went back to smiths and had yet again a lovely meal and a fantastic night with the help of the dance floor. Would highly recommend a wedding here the staff are lovely and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014

Great to read that your day went so well isp14. The other local services you mention are indeed all superb. I certainly look forward to your return back to he Rose Suite in the near future. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The Hotel is really nice and relaxed and is classed as a 4 star.

I arranged through the hotel for an anvil blessing ceremony, as a surprise for my wife to celebrate our ruby wedding .
The package they do normally covers for one night but I wanted to stay for 2 nights as check in is from 3.00pm , and as the blessing was at 3.30pm there is no time to prepare etc if we simply turned up on the day so turned up the day before.
I up-graded our stay to a Luxury Balcony Room which was very comfortable.
The bathroom was beginning to look and feel a little tired but was still OK.
The bar area was pleasant enough with good service from the staff, with in particular mention to who we thought was the bar manager who was very good with us and helpful through-out our stay.
Food in the restaurant on the Sunday evening was very good, my wife and I both had different steaks and the were cooked just right and were full of flavour.
Additionally the buffet breakfast in the morning had plenty of choice, with the bacon & sausage being & was also tasty
All in all a good hotel and a good stay.

Only down was little things like our room keys cancelled after the first day even though we were there for two.
I had to ask for the romantic beginnings package where they trim up your bedroom that I had booked as it had not been done on our arrival as envisaged.
Outside our room was a table that the housekeeping had put empty and part filled glasses bottles and plates on presumably to take away that remained there throughout the next day and were still there on our check out. Not nice to see !
Would I go again ...... Yes
Would I recommend ..... again Yes

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks Almegettun, a god review, I appreciate your feedback, both praise and criticisms alike.
I do hope that we'll get to see you back soon. Best regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!