“expensive drinks”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
seaham
“expensive drinks”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

my son had his wedding at smiths hotel in Greta green and quite a nice venue but charging £5 for a bottle of cider and £3.80 for soda and lime left a sour taste in me mouth to say the least .A know weddings are 1 off occasion and you expect to pay a little more for food and drink at these venues but come on smiths surely u don't have to charge that amount.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thanks appa69, understand your feelings. Our liquor prices are pretty much standard to be honest, not withstanding the cheap pub chain brands, but for a 4star hotel and indeed any decent bar/bistro of quality we're on par I'd say, certainly for the premium ciders. We sell Rekordelig for £5 (this must be what you had), magners bottle is 4.50, strongbow bottle 3.80, pint draught cider also 3.80. There must be some error with the lime and soda as we charge £1 for this, Lime and Lemonade (pint of) is 3.80 however - hope this clears that up. Thanks again for the post, I absolutely do appreciate it, best regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had our wedding meal and night at Smiths a couple of years ago, it was a wonderful experience, especially the penthouse room WOW!! anyway we had always said we would like to go back and had planned a Easter road trip that would give us that excuse, and so booked a balcony room ( we couldn't quite run to the penthouse this time)

On checking in we were welcomed warmly and took our bags straight up to the room, it was a good size, modern with everything could need, even a nespresso type coffee machine which I thought was a nice touch, and the balcony made the room very light and airy.

We had a light lunch, service was excellent, all the staff were very attentive, and it was incredibly busy, as we ate our lunch we watched the various bridal parties come and go all dealt with the same courteous efficiencies we had a experienced a couple of years earlier.

We dined in the chainmail restaurant that evening, again it was very busy, but service didn't suffer for it, the food was superb, and after a great nights sleep the breakfast the following morning was equally tasty.

Overall Smiths is a great hotel to stop in, you certainly don't have to be getting married to enjoy it, we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are great, especially if the weathers nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Great to read of returning guests , thank you Yorkshire Merrits, I'm so pleased that the experience was so pleasant - so often returning to places with such fond memories can seem a little bit of a let down. What a shame the Penthouse wasn't available for upgrade that day, hopefully next time - let the girls on reception know when next returning and we'll see what we can do. Best regards Darren
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed overnight for a wedding on Saturday April 19 on a B & B basis in a deluxe double room which cost £145. Staff pleasant and friendly and the room was clean enough, nicely decorated with a comfy bed and brilliant power shower but I've stayed in similar hotels for a fraction of that price. For some strange reason there were loads of different types of tea and just two coffee sachets / four sugar sachets. There was only one hot chocolate and one packet of shortbread as well which I thought might have just been an oversight in our room but turned out to be the case for everyone else. Seems a petty, trivial thing to even mention but when you're paying nearly £150 a pop; they can afford to go a bit crazy with the little sachets and biscuits I'm sure.

As for dining - ludicrously overpriced. I had chicken and leek pie (£11.50) which arrived 45 mins after we'd been shown to our tables and asked to get seated because food was nearly ready. When it did finally show up, on my life there were seven chips, a tablespoon of what could've been tinned mushy peas and a standard chicken and leek pie you could pick up in Tesco. I could've cooked the same meal for four people and still got change from a tenner. All the desserts cost £6 whether it be a sticky toffee pudding or a fruit salad. (Even beans on toast from the bar menu will set you back £6)

On the upside, breakfast was great although again, expensive if you're staying on a room only basis £15 for cooked breakfast and £12 for continental.

Not having a pop at the hotel or aiming to be deliberately mean in writing all this because in fairness, it has the advantage of being able to charge those prices being right there for weddings and whatnot but wanted to give others a heads up in advance. The hotel is nice enough as are the staff but just be aware before you book that it's massively overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for putting up your thoughts Stacey I appreciate and respect your viewpoint and indeed the comments on price - I'm not saying I totally agree, but its certainly good to have mixed opinions , that is exactly what this forum is all about and somebody will absolutely get benefit from your post. Thanks again for the feedback , I do hope you will visit us again, we do flex our room rates dependant on demand so quite often we have rooms available from £65 and this includes breakfast. All the best , Darren
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We recently stayed at Smiths Hotel when we renewed our wedding vows at the The Blacksmiths Shop. Smiths organised the day perfectly for us! Carly was our very efficient planner and couldn't have been more helpful - everything ran very smoothly on the day! We stayed in the Rose Suite which was very comfortable and well appointed. The restaurant couldn't have been more helpful when it came to my gluten free needs, they were excellent and the food very nice.

Over at the Blacksmiths Shop, Frank made us feel very special when he conducted our Vow Renewal ceremony which was a lovely experience full of history - Frank had just the right balance between humour and emotion - it was also lovely how he involved our two guests and made them feel special too! Carrie from 'Captured by Carrie Photography' captured the experience for us beautifully and was lovely throughout! My beautiful flowers for the occasion were made by 'Gretna Flower Basket' and were exactly what I had asked for, they matched my outfit perfectly and smelled gorgeous throughout the ceremony! My hair and make up for the occasion were done by Amy (hair) and Helen (make-up) from Hype Hair and Beauty Salon in Gretna and both did an excellent job, I was very happy with the results!

All in all a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Suite which was really lovely and fortunately wasn't facing the motorway!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
A fantastic comprehensive post Simon & Ellie, thanks so much. Carly and Frank are a certainly a couple of characters and I'm so pleased that you mentioned them personally. As you rightly say the suppliers are first class also and I'm again pleased that they delivered for you. All the best for now Darren
Lancashire
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at Smiths on our wedding night on Friday 11th April 2014. We arrived early and were delighted to be able to access our room early to get ready for our wedding at The Blacksmiths Shop opposite. The room was fab and there were rose petals all over the bed when we arrived - very sweet!
The bar area was very comfortable and inviting, nice comfy sofas or tables and chairs to sit at. The staff were all really friendly and helpful.
After our wedding, we came back to have a meal in the restaurant - this was the single, most incredible meal I have ever eaten. The breakfast was served nice and early with lots of choice. Excellent quality and very friendly service - again. The same 'waitress' as the evening before served us, she was so pleasant and helpful, I wish I know her name so I could praise her personally. I hope her efforts do not go unrecognised, she really was lovely.
All in all, having 'eloped'to Gretna to get married and having a dream day planned, we were really pleased we chose Smiths as they complimented our wedding day perfectly. One day we will go back to celebrate our anniversary and will definitely go back Smiths. We would not hesitate in recommending a stay and/or meal at Smiths to anyone.Thank you to all who helped make our day so special.

2 Thank empressboo
That's some review empressboo, thank you so much. What an absolute joy to read, We're all so very happy that you enjoyed your experience and that you'll be coming back. Best regards Darren
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel room was absolutely lovely - very clean and with good decor. The meal we had in the bar was top notch - the best we've had for some time.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel and will be staying again when we are next in Scotland.

Room Tip: We booked the deluxe double room and it was worth every penny. We were at the back of the hotel whic...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the review Fiona, absolutely love to have you back next time you're up this way. all the very best to you, Darren
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed in the Bensmoor Suites, situated directly opposite the Famous Blacksmiths Shop in Gretna. We were upgraded to the priviae cottages as part of our wedding package. We travelled with our little boy of 3 and the additional space that the cottage provided was a god send!!

Check in was easy, the cottage was available before the stated check in time; 3 hours before to be exact.

We opened the door to find what I can only describe as interior heaven! We stayed in cottage number one which consisted of a twin room and separate bathroom, a fully functioning kitchen that you would be ashamed to have in your own home, a comfy living and dining area, along side a master bedroom with en suite.

The decor throughout has obviously been carefully thought out; I have taken some ideas home! :) The pics I have uploaded DO NOT do the cottage justice!

We were married in the Original Blacksmiths on 04.04.14. I cannot being to describe how magical and wonderful the day was. India was sent over from the hotel to help me get into my dress, and bless her, what a sweetheart!! Staff at the Blacksmiths were attentive and lovely - a big shout out to Ian (and Alan the Piper!).

We had breakfast included in our stay and had to go to the hotel every morning for this; not a problem as only a few minutes walk! the choice for breakfast was fab - Maria was very attentive and made a fuss of our 3 yr old! Previous reviews have complained about the orange juice - rst assured that this issue has been resolved, no nasty orange juice in sight!

Overall, Smiths is a beautifully decorated and well equipped establishment. Those who do find something to moan about obviously have nothing better to do!

From the complimentary bathrobe and slippers to the huge beds and pleasant staff, we had a wonderful time. Our wedding day was perfect! Nothing to complain about from us!

We would love to return and stay in the hotel next year for our wedding anniversary as i feel we did miss out on quite a lot staying in the Bensmoor Suites. I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking about getting married in Gretna!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you holibob, a great review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our cottages, superb aren't they. We were particularly busy on the 4.4.14 to be sure so to hear that all went so smoothly is particularly pleasing. Thank you also for the personal mention for Maria, she'll be delighted with that. Ahhh..... the orange juice saga, dark days indeed here at Smiths, yes well and truly sorted that one. I look forward to your return holibob, all the best Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!