“wedded bliss.”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Desborough, United Kingdom
“wedded bliss.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband of 35 years surprised me on our anniversary by taking me to this lovely hotel. On arrival at 9.30am the nice lady on reception said she had a package for me, I was amazed as I thought nobody knew where we were. we were then shown to The Rose Suite, which was beautiful. Candles were lit, flowers were on the table and champagne was chilling. The suite was perfect with a four poster bed and a truly spectacular bathroom. Little did I know but my whole family were already at the hotel waiting to surprise me and all the staff were in on the secret. After hair and make up by to wonderful ladies recommended by the hotel, we crossed the road to the wedding venue for a vow renewal. We arrived back to the hotel for a fantastic wedding breakfast in one of the private dining rooms. The food was out of this world, some of the finest food I have ever tasted. The service throughout our stay was wonderful as were all the staff, they even have a cocktail bar now. The hotel and all its staff helped my husband and family with all the arrangements and made it a truly memorable time. It was a very romantic trip and i would recommend it to anyone. We will be back soon. Thank you all concerned.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Suite but all rooms used by our party were lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Julie, 35 years hey, you've a good'n there. What a lovely review to read , I'm so pleased you've another memory for the bank. All the best Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We chose smiths for 24 of us to stay on the 21st & 22nd of May, we got married in the old blacksmiths shop on the 22nd May! The whole experience was wonderful, rooms were clean and well situated (all our party on the same floor) we stayed in a family room with our two boys who loved the bunks and play station!! I had my hair done at spoilt on the day and it was put up just liked I requested! The girls were in the salon were lovely. The staff in the hotel were very attentive and polite and India our wedding planner was wonderful! We ate in the brasserie the night before, overall the food was good but you can't please everyone! I had fajitas and they were lovely! Our wedding meal was also tasty and everyone was served at the same time, it was great also to have our own little garden and bar area!
The blacksmiths shop was perfect for our smallish wedding and a man who worked there (I think his name was Clive) was a star!
Overall the whole experience was amazing and I would definately recommend this place! Only bad thing it went too fast and the drinks were quite pricey but hey-ho you only have one wedding day!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Joharry77
Thanks for the review Mr & Mrs Benjamin I enjoyed reading it and hearing how well the stay went. Thanks also for the personal staff mentions, they will be delighted that you remembered them. Sorry about the time going too fast, I will try and sort LOL. The drinks....I know we're not bargain ale prices, but hope the service, surroundings, plus the quality of liquor substantiates the price. All the very best Darren
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We got married over the anvil and stayed at smiths hotel absolutely fantastic experience would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of eloping the staff couldn't do enough for us from storing left over cake to helping with getting into wedding dress. Family room fantastic kids loved it, salon staff were brilliant with makeup and hair for bride(me) and 2 bridesmaids.
Had the best day ever and so glad we decided to marry in gretna is very surreal seeing brides come and go but still doesn't detract from your special day. Also bAck at hotel staff had arrNged a table for us in restaruNt at short notice. Cannot thAnk staff enough for making it such a memorable day for us and we will definitely be back for anniversarys or cheeky little romantic trip without children

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Victoria - a cheeky little trip back without the kids...do it! I'll reserve a suite with some Champagne shall I, just let me know the date. Thanks for the review, lovely comments. Regards Darren
Kirkcaldy
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is a very upmarket hotel, made to feel very welcome, the rooms are top class, the food was fantastic and well priced. Although geared towards wedding clients we were made very welcome and had no need to venture out for food or drink. The staff were very attentive.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 491BarryandShelley
Barry, Shelley cheers for the post - great to hear from you. Really pleased that your stay was up to scratch. Regards Darren
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our party was stranded when our coach broke down the staff found us a function room to feed 53 people at very short notice. Great food and fantastically friendly and helpful staff. Just brilliant! Thank you so much.

• Stayed May 2014
No worries MUpritchard, to be honest the team loved the drama and having a coach of 53 pull up is a fun little challenge - we enjoyed having you. all the best Darren
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for my birthday. We stayed one night in a standard double room which was modern spacious and had a nice view . We were booked in early and visited the blacksmith wedding venue and maze which was opposite. Plenty of parking spaces and lovely food made this a great birthday treat and also the friendly staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Yes I'd stay again if in that part of the world. Well done guys.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David M
Thanks David, it was a delight having you here. if you are back in this part of the world, then youre always going to be welcome at smiths. Regards Darren
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way up to Skye as it's at roughly the midway point. The hotel stood out as looking modern and efficient and that is how it proved to be. We were greeted by very friendly staff who explained everything we wanted to know. We had a nicely furnished and spacious room with a good sized balcony overlooking The Old Blacksmith's, which seems to be the main tourist attraction in Gretna, and wide open countryside. Very quiet.

We ate in the bar and the food was very good indeed as, once again, was the service. I had a steak sandwich and salad that has to be amongst the top tastiest sandwiches I've ever eaten. My wife was also knocked out with the quality of the food she ordered. Breakfast in the morning was also excellent as was the service.

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel and will make a point of staying here the next time we visit Scotland later in the year. The value for money is amazing and the service, for us, was perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SLKmaniac
That's great news you'll be returning SLKmaniac, there's nothing better than having guests become friends, returning over and over. Happy travelling sir. Regards Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!