“Beautiful Bensmoor suite cottage at the smiths”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Hedon, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Bensmoor suite cottage at the smiths”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

It was a pleasure to stay in the no 6 Bensmoor suite cottage..they was lovely and clean.. Had two bedrooms + two bathrooms .. TV in each bedroom.. And one in the living room. .. Also had small kitchen.. The cottage was Very spacious ..
The breakfast at the smiths was delicious.. And with lots of options.
Would recommend the smiths to anyone...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Lorraine S
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thanks for this Lorraine, happy to hear that you enjoyed the cottage. Best regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel and only thing I would say is could be doing with a freshen up in some areas (stairs and hallways) but didn't affect our stay at all, great staff, value, food, drinks and overall stay:) would definitely go back and would recommend

• Stayed May 2014
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
thanks for the post grosart, really appreciate the recommendation. all the best Darren
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had a room on the busy motorway side and was unable to sleep until I moved into one of the kids' bunk beds in the alcove at the back of the room. HGV traffic was constant throughout the night and the windows were poorly fitted and allowed all the noise through - it was impossible to open a window and listen to the TV in the early evening! The whole point of a hotel is to get a good nights' sleep while away from home and Smiths failed miserably on this count. The rooms were very well appointed but why spend loads of money on fixtures and fittings and scrimp on the basics such as well fitting windows with triple or even quad glazing so that guests can get a decent nights' sleep? And why not make it clear to prospective guests before they arrive and discover the problem?? I paid for a 4 star room and ended up sleeping in a youth hostel bunk bed!!

Room Tip: Request a room on the car park side - and if they can't guarantee one and you're a light sle...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John H
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for this John. Sorry to hear that you didn't sleep too well. We are situated next to the M6 so some rooms do look over the motorway, that's where Gretna Green is located I'm afraid. If you are a particularly light sleeper as you clearly are, then I understand your comments. Again, apologies for the inconvenience. Regards Darren
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Me, my husband and my family stayed here for 2 nights for our wedding over the bank holiday weekend. Our room was a deluxe double and a perfect size, very clean and comfortable.
The breakfast was delicious with a wide variety of choice.
We didn't book out wedding through Carly the wedding planner however I wish I had, I decided a week before that my grandma wouldn't like the al a carte menu and asked if I could pre book one of the wedding menus, this was no problem and saved the hassle of ordering on the night. The staff were very helpful. We had a wonderful weekend and wouldn't hesitate booking here again.

1 Thank Jojo8111
Thanks for the lovely comments jojo, especially the mention for Carly, really appreciate it. Im so pleased that the 2 nights with us went so well. All the best Darren
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Food in bar/lounge was fantastic, nice clean hotel. But did think rooms was over priced, I stayed in deluxe room and balcony they was nice but still felt they was not worth what they charge especially as it's two single beds together in double rooms

2 Thank Clairemaddy
Thanks for the comments clairemaddy. I try to price point everything realistically, maximising when and where I can and offering the appropriate discounts and reduced rates when needed - I fully appreciate that rooms during peak demand time are indeed premium rated, but they are still realistic and on par with industry norms at this level, more often than not actually far lower - I would say that I guess, what with my business head on. Do look at our website and social media pages as I often have great deals on, competitions for free stuff and rates do go up and down regularly, like most hotels based on demand and changing occupancy levels. Anyway, thanks for feeding back, I really do appreciate your thoughts. Regards Darren ,
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

we had our wedding at the blacksmiths shop across the road from Smiths, but booked the package through the wedding team at Smiths hotel. We liaised with our wedding co-ordinator on several occasions and gave her our ideas for our day. Other than a couple of hic-cups (table arrangement not as requested, but dealt with promptly prior to us needing the room), the day was perfect.
We booked the 'Grand package' which included our three course meal for 10 (we just added the extra places on), drinks and canapés, piper and wedding service. There were no stresses.
Our room for two nights in one of the Bensmoor suites was included also in the package and the suite was more than we could have asked for. The beams and general character of the suite was beautiful. There was a bottle of champagne in the suite on arrival for us too.
The suites are on the same side of the road as the Blacksmiths shop so we didn't have to arrange any transport etc for the day and walked across together with our two witnesses.
The quality of the food was amazing and the portions were incredibly generous. Great value for money!
We had the best day possible and our guests enjoyed themselves too.
The breakfast at the hotel is a 'help yourself' style and is lovely. great selection and variety. can definitely recommend the bacon and sausages... yum yum.
This hotel is one of the only places where you see so many brides in there full regalia in one place. it is quite fun!
My Husband and I couldn't be happier that we chose this venue as our day was exactly as we wanted it. An intimate day shared with our close families.
Thank you to the lovely staff for arranging our wedding room (for the third time that morning) once they were advised it hadn't been made up as per our table plan).

Room Tip: The deluxe doubles are fab with an amazing size bath / bathroom. The Bensmoor suites are really spec...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thanks Hayley, great fun review to read. Its certainly an interesting place here isn't it, meringues everywhere sometimes. Really glad to hear that your package worked out, its truly a superb price - the volume we obviously do here at the "Wedding capital" obviously allows for this - probably be 3 or 4 times the price elsewhere, to be sure. Anyways, great comments, great memories and it was a pleasure having you here. all the very best to you and your husband. regards Darren
Desborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband of 35 years surprised me on our anniversary by taking me to this lovely hotel. On arrival at 9.30am the nice lady on reception said she had a package for me, I was amazed as I thought nobody knew where we were. we were then shown to The Rose Suite, which was beautiful. Candles were lit, flowers were on the table and champagne was chilling. The suite was perfect with a four poster bed and a truly spectacular bathroom. Little did I know but my whole family were already at the hotel waiting to surprise me and all the staff were in on the secret. After hair and make up by to wonderful ladies recommended by the hotel, we crossed the road to the wedding venue for a vow renewal. We arrived back to the hotel for a fantastic wedding breakfast in one of the private dining rooms. The food was out of this world, some of the finest food I have ever tasted. The service throughout our stay was wonderful as were all the staff, they even have a cocktail bar now. The hotel and all its staff helped my husband and family with all the arrangements and made it a truly memorable time. It was a very romantic trip and i would recommend it to anyone. We will be back soon. Thank you all concerned.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose Suite but all rooms used by our party were lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Julie, 35 years hey, you've a good'n there. What a lovely review to read , I'm so pleased you've another memory for the bank. All the best Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!