“Amazing hotel, friendly and great bar”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Old Basing, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel, friendly and great bar”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Really cool stay! 2 nights whilst we got married. The staff, particularly the wedding planner Carly couldn't of been more helpful (when we booked the wrong 2 days and wedding date!!)
Brilliant restaurant, the Al la carte menu was divine and the BAR! WoW! The effort in to the presentation of the cocktails was amazing. Especially the huge martini glasses which were as tall as my nephew, and the sparkling anvil cocktail. Highly recommend. The bedroom was lovely, bit tatty when you look closely , but nothing to worry about. My only bad things is the "huge" bed is two singles pushed together and you can feel the gap under the sheets, and the towel rail in the bathroom was 2 years over due electrical test

Room Tip: The balcony room is a great choice for the lovely huge window (great for pre wedding pics). The bath...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post up your comments pinkat, really appreciate it and so good to read that you enjoyed yourself. Regards Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Shotts, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My boyfriend and I headed down to The Smiths hotel from Glasgow last week for an overnight to celebrate our anniversary. We had contacted the hotel previous after reading many reviews, to see if we would be able to upgrade our room. We got a reply very speedy with a choice of upgrades and settled on The Ash Suite. Due to train times we arrived 2 hours early and asked for a taxi to take us to the outlet so we could kill some time, we were able to leave suitcases with the hotel which was great, no need to carry them around!

When we arrived back and were about to head to the room there was a slight mix up with our package but was quickly sorted. The Ash Suite was absolutely stunning and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade! The candles were lit, fireplace on, music playing and rose petals on the bed - seriously breathtaking. The package we booked included cocktails and when reception phoned to ask if we wanted them, I have to say, the receptionist was very unhelpful. There was no menu in the room, the list wasn't read out to us and nothing was explained. I eventually had to ask after a very monosyllabic conversation if we had to come down to order. When I found the menu online on my mobile, I phoned back to order to which I was cut short and told I would be passed through to the bar. Very unimpressed.

We had booked dinner for 8 o'clock and arrived around five to. On arrival we were asked if we had seen the menu, to which we replied no, and were sat at the bar - I found this a little strange. The staff came to take our order which I had to then explain that we were booked in at the restaurant and 40 minutes later we were seated. I could understand if it was peak time on a Saturday night and the restaurant was mobbed. Unfortunately it was a Wednesday and there were only two tables of two in the restaurant. The meal we had was absolutely delicious, no complains there - hats off to the chef! On finishing our meal we waited half an hour trying to catch someones attention to receive the bill as there were no staff around, we eventually got another staff member who didn't even work in the restaurant. There was an elderly couple beside us who had asked for a bottle of wine 40 minutes previous and eventually had to cancel it, then asked for coffees, which after half an hour (when we left) they still hadn't received. What we couldn't understand was that there were 3 members of staff on.

We had a bucks fizz breakfast delivered to the room in the morning which was fantastic! No faulting the breakfast, It came on time and was absolutely delicious.

For us, we would definitely like to return to The Smiths as it was one of the loveliest places we have stayed, our suite was completely worth the extra and the food was on point. Unfortunately for us, the service just wasn't at the same standard which was quite frustrating as the hotel is beautiful.

Kind Regards,
Laura and Craig

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if there are any upgrades available, it is worth the extra!
1 Thank lauramcseveney
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hi Laura & craig, thanks for the review - I'm sorry to read of your service frustrations on the night you stayed, quite unusual for us to get negatives in this area, so really sorry about that. I cant quite get my head around what happened with the cocktails to be honest and think that something has maybe miscommunicated somewhere - generally the receptionist would indeed make the necessary courtesy calls but really only to give the heads up to the F&B team as to when to expect you, at which time it makes sense to order the cocktails so that they can be made up and enjoyed freshly whilst relaxing in the bar. Anyway, im sure we could have performed or communicated far better on this occasion, so we will share your comments amongst the team. Thanks again for the comments , they all help and I look forward to your return . Regards Darren
England
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was the perfect hotel to check into After a hard day on Ben Nevis. It was also the night before our wedding, and we had ordered the extra romantic package, which included cocktails on arrival, rose petals, candles and a Buck's Fizz breakfast. The room, a standard double, was really nice, spacious and with nice touches like dressing gowns and a proper selection of teas and coffee. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening as we arrived rather late, but breakfast the next morning was very good, with a great selection of foods on offer. This seems to be the place many wedding parties stay, and I visited the little salon before we left...pricey but the girls in there were very nice. We wished we were staying longer than one night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Ben Nevis, the night before your wedding...Are you mad loula!!!!. Actually that sounds amazing, Scafel then onto Snowdon for honeymoon then hey.. Really glad you enjoyed your stay. Best regards Darren,
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Great location in Gretna Green; we had a lovely stay and our friends wedding went to plan. The Beauty Salon is super had hair and make-up the morning of the wedding and the girls where more than happy to touch up any loose ends in the afternoon as quite windy on the day. The room was small but adequate for a short stay. It was quite warm and stuffy in the room and to open the window would have meant enduring the staff smoking below and the smell entering the room and the noise of the motorway traffic. There was a stain down the sink in the bathroom that reception informed me was hair dye (it looked like blood); there was fluff and crisps on the floor so the room could have been hoovered more thoroughly. The mattress was hard but that's down to personal preference, this may suite some people. My only other complaint was the waiting on staff in the restaurant we had to constantly ask for items to be replaced at the breakfast buffet on both mornings; and not just the cooked items which you appreciate being fresh but also plates, milk, croissants, cutlery.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What a very disappointing review, I'm so sorry we didn't meet your expectations Jane, truly I am. Regards Darren
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We would like to share our wonderful experience with the Smiths Hotel for our recent wedding.
Wow what a wonderful hotel your staff run!
From our initial meet and greet with our assigned wedding planner (I cant remember her name) but she wore glasses?
Well she was fantastic with us and explained everything in great detail.
Very professional, friendly and understanding of our every need.

The day went perfect with no problems at all, The post wedding greeting was very professional and made my wife and I feel extremely important.
Nothing was hurried and everything was explained patiently about how our evening could be arranged.
I would like to give a big thankyou to your Bulgarian organisor Svev? (I apologise for not knowing your staff members names).
And also the bar staff who helped as much as possible when my music amplifier failed to operate.
Not a single thing was missed by all of your tremendous staff.
Oue bridal suite 3rd floor 50 was absolutely stunning very clean and beatifully set up I felt like a footballer and we just didnt want to leave.
We would now like to spend our 1st year anniversary with you so many thanks once again.

Kind regards
Mr & Mrs McFarland
Cardiff

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
good one Paul, great comments about the staff and hotel , I'm delighted with that. be more than happy to have you back , don't wait for anniversary, come anytime you like. Best regards Darren
Hedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

It was a pleasure to stay in the no 6 Bensmoor suite cottage..they was lovely and clean.. Had two bedrooms + two bathrooms .. TV in each bedroom.. And one in the living room. .. Also had small kitchen.. The cottage was Very spacious ..
The breakfast at the smiths was delicious.. And with lots of options.
Would recommend the smiths to anyone...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Lorraine S
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thanks for this Lorraine, happy to hear that you enjoyed the cottage. Best regards Darren
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel and only thing I would say is could be doing with a freshen up in some areas (stairs and hallways) but didn't affect our stay at all, great staff, value, food, drinks and overall stay:) would definitely go back and would recommend

• Stayed May 2014
thanks for the post grosart, really appreciate the recommendation. all the best Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!