“excellent”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed 26 August 2014

A fantastic stay over the august bank holiday.My grandson got married there and it was just perfect.The hotel is wonderful and the staff are very friendly,polite and helpful.we could not fault it i would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.Even the locals were very friendly..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tkers141
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Sounds like you had a good time tkers. Thanks for the staff mention, im lucky to have such a great team. Regards Darren

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and our two children stayed July for one night In one of the hotels family cottages, these are seperate from the hotel and are just across the road from the main hotel. They are furnished to a high standard & very homely. Our cottage had a twin bedroom for our boys, a bathroom with shower, a double bedroom with en suite, living room with kitchen - so no need to eat out unless you want to. Parking space right at the front door. If you have a family & like comfort and quality I would recommend paying that bit extra for the apartment, you won't be disappointed. Breakfast in the morning was in the main hotel, wether you like a cooked breakfast or continental there was plenty to choose from.

Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks Chitchat, glad you and the kids enjoyed the cottages, really handy aren't they. do come back soon, regards Darren

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I got married on 19th August at using the wedding team at smiths and had a fantastic day. Me, my husband and 11 year old daughter went. From the minute we arrived all the staff were extremely helpful.

We met with a member of the team who explained everything to us about what would happen and when. After visiting the old blacksmith we decided we wanted a piper at the service and India arranged this straight away for us.

On the morning me and my daughter went to the salon Spoilt for out hair and makeup done and was absolutely made up and was made to feel really special. Even when we had to go back as there was a problem with my daughters tiara there was no problem and this was fixed straight away.

Everyone was so helpful and the wedding planning team even offered to take photos for us.

After the ceremony we went back to the hotel and had a meal which again was lovely.

My only criticism is we were asked if we wanted a table in the restaurant or a private alcove. We chose the alcove but were not made that there was an additional charge for this. It was only when I asked for the bill and questioned this was it explained. I didn't complain at the time as it was my wedding day.

Overall I would recommend this hotel it is a little expensive for food and drink but I personally didn't expect anything different as it caters for a lot of weddings.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for posting up your comments Michele, it was lovely to hear that your stay was so pleasant. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in a suite at this hotel for a 2 night stay and it was amazing! We felt special the moment we opened our suite door. We didn't receive our complementary champagne on arrival as we paid for in the wedding package but as soon as this was mentioned at the reception, we was brought up 2 bottles and a small box of chocolates for the inconvenience. The room had everything we needed so couldn't of asked for anything more. Will definitely be coming back to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food which we received for the wedding meal was amazing, true 5star quality and presentation xx

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you so much for the review Lisa (sorry about the Champagne). absolutely delighted that you enjoyed the experience. Best regards Darren

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We chose to stay at Smiths as part of our Stay Memory Marry package at Gretna Green - every member of staff we encountered were extremely helpful even taking some photos for us after our wedding :-) When we arrived early it was no problem and we had champagne chilling for us in our room - I would totally recommend anyone to have their wedding this way and use the facilities of this lovely hotel - so from myself and my new husband thank you all very much for making it special :-) MRS & MRS MARTIN THOM

Room Tip: Our room was a deluxe double which faced the front of hotel and had its own balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the post ladies, enjoyed reading it - the pictures are fantastic too. Do come back and see us again. Regards Darren

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had a wonderful wedding package from Smiths hotel ,everything was well organised from start to finish by the wedding planners.The first night my family stayed in one of the family rooms ,the computer can be used for a small charge and kept the kids entertained while we sorted ourselves out for our wedding the next day.
On the day of our wedding our planner rang to say my flowers had arrived and waited for me in the lobby until I collected them .When it was time for me to get married the wedding planner covered me with an umbrella as i got in to the car.
My family all went back to the hotel where we had the lounge menu as we all wanted something more relaxed ,there were 10 of us and we were served quickly by a great waiter ,there were 3 other wedding parties going on too but it did not cause a problem with our food order ect.
We spent our wedding night in the Penthouse it's amazing !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Cheers Dawp, lovely review, glad your special day went so well, best regards Darren

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Needed a base for a business trip.
Nicola on reception was fantastic when I called the hotel directly and I booked a Bensmoor Suite at a really great price
It's a pretty place to stay across the road from the main hotel.
I enjoyed dinner in the main hotel and breakfast was included in my booking too.
The Suites are converted cottages with small kitchen area a sitting area and dining area.
Beautifully decorated and immaculate
Highly recommended and I am sure I'll use this again
Free Parking
Free WIFI
Great restaurant
Lovely Bar
Busy with weddings
Felt very comfortable as a a single traveller
Modern and clean

Room Tip: I stayed in bungalow 5
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for the review, really appreciate a business travellers comments in the mix as well as the wedding feedback. Yes, the Bensmoor suites are absolutely superb aren't they, we've had them in action for just over a year now and have become a real asset for us. Thanks again for the comments, regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!