Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Priceline
Alexander House(Gretna Green)
Hazeldene Hotel(Gretna Green)
Rhone Villa(Gretna Green)
Kirkcroft Guest House(Gretna Green)
TripAdvisor
Greenlaw Guest House(Gretna Green)
1,545 results
All reviewsthe penthouserose suitewedding packagebar menubalcony roomwedding partieswedding receptionlovely hotelbeauty salonfamily roomwedding nightreception staffanvil hallthe cottagesa la carte menuwedding breakfastamazing wedding
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Have to say that this is a lovely hotel and the best location if you are getting married at the Blacksmith's as we did. Its just a short walk over the road. We booked this hotel for 2 nights and my husband ordered well in advance the package where you get the room romantically set with candles which includes canopies chocolate and champagne on ice as well as roses on the bed and a bouquet of flowers. He ordered this for our wedding night which was the Saturday but when we got there Friday it was all done for us. The room was beautiful and it made me cry to see what my husband to be had done for me. As it was my husband was stressing as he had booked all this for the Saturday and went down to see why they had got it mixed up but apparently my best friend had rang and arranged this for us for the Friday as a surprise for us. Well we really enjoyed that night it was fabulous and then as I was putting on my wedding dress on the Saturday at 12.15 the maid knocked at the door and asked did I need anything which I didnt and then we left to get married at 1. We came back to the hotel after the wedding and had a meal with friends and then I went up to take my dress off and the room had not even been made up. This was at 6pm. The glasses from the previous night were still in the room bed not made and room not cleaned. Bearing in mind that my husband had already booked well in advance for this package. My husband went and informed the desk that the room had not been touched and to see where the flowers champagne etc were. They assured him they would get on to it. We waited another hour and went up to the room and still nothing had changed apart from the champagne and canopies were put in the room. Bed still not made up or room cleaned. My husband went back down again and asked for the room to be done again. They then sent up the receptionist at 8pm to make up our bed. He asked her to get the manager and he came up and tried to tell us that the room wasnt touched because I had supposedly left my dress on the bed. This was not true as my dress had been put away immediately back in the packaging by my friend. In the end there was no apologies and the room was never done. My husband ended up throwing the manager out of the room as he was so distressed over the whole situation. We never got the romantic night he planned and this really upset us at the time.
They did have another wedding on but they were hiring the hotel as they were having the reception there and the hotel seemed geared up to suit that wedding but as we were just a small party of 4 they did not make us feel special at all.
So be on your guard if you are doing what we did and just hoping to have a quiet meal with friends to suit.......You will be made to feel that your wedding is not really special.
Have to say despite all the grief it is a lovely place and the meal we had was really nice and the room on the Friday was lovely. Shame they couldnt do this for my wedding night.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
SmithsHotelGGG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Smiths. I am glad that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for our mistake surrounding the servicing of your room. I have discussed your review in detail with our team and there was a "crossed wire" between us on the day, a misunderstanding that led to your room not being serviced because we understood that you wished nobody to enter your room throughout the day. I can assure you that we do take your comments on board, and the same mistake will not happen again. As you can see from the feedback from guests, we do try very hard to get it right. Please return... I can assure you that you would be very welcome and we would love to demonstrate our normal Smiths standard. Thank you again.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

Second one night stay at SMITHS - the last one was a couple of years ago. Pleased to say that the high standards of food and accomodation have been maintained. The place is not cheap by local standards but I don't think you can get this standard outside of Lakes or further into the Borders. Overlooking the M74 is not the finest view around but it's a price worth paying for a quality experience. Staff are friendly and attentive without being overbearing, the food is very good for meat eaters(haven't tried veggies but expect should be up to standard).

Standard rooms are not cramped in any way without being spacious and finished smartly in a modern boutique style. Hotel is within walking distance of the Old Blacksmiths Shop etc (if you feel like getting hitched on an impulse or fancy buying a "see you jimmy" tartan hat).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. It would be great to see you back here again in the future. There's lots more to do than get hitched or buy a "See you Jimmy" hat! What about some gorgeous cashmere or a luxury Hamper? Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 16 January 2010

Worked through Smiths for our wedding at the Anvil Hall. The team couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. From finding someone to steam my dress, the spa staff who took care of our hair, make up and nails to even driving us to the registrar office to finalize our paperwork as we were traveling from the US, our stay was fantastic! Can't say enough good things!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! All of here at Smiths really appreciate it and just love it when our guests enjoy their time with us! Please come back agin in the future! Thanks again.

Reviewed 24 December 2009

This hotel is absolutley gorgeous! The staff cant do enough for you. The food is amazing. we could not fault a single thing! We stayed in December 2009 for a total of 3 nights, for our wedding. we got married at Anvil Hall Gretna Green whch was so lovely. The staff at the smiths hotel are so friendly and cant do enough for you. everythingwas perfect about our stay and we will probably go back for our anniversary next year!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2009

My daughter decided to celebrate her wedding in this hotel on the 31st October after getting married at the Anvil hall in Gretna, We spent two nights in this hotel and from the start to finish what an enjoyable experience it was from the high standard of the accomodation, good food and what i think is a great asset their Staff nothing was to much trouble for them.
This hotel specialises in wedding packages and they do this extremely well my daughters special day was a great success in every way and that made me very happy

If you are going to gretna to get married regardless of the size of party you cant go wrong if you go to Smiths

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple