“Service lets a good hotel down”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
scotland
“Service lets a good hotel down”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Excellent facilities in the room. Spotless.
Good king size beds and good bunks, tvs,playstation for the kids
Reception staff fantastic
Breakfast top notch
There for a wedding and the service was a little slow in terms of bar staff but friendly
Staff were a little rude at the end of the night in terms of bringing the celebrations to an end whcih if it was me getting married and paying the prices I would have let them know how I felt about it.
Had a great sleep but motorway noise audible at all other times.

• Stayed March 2010
Smiths-GG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2010
Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.
I will most certainly be sharing your review with my team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Featherstone
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We got married at the Anvil Hall and took an 'all inclusive' package for our reception at Smiths. There was 30 in our group of guests.

We were upgraded (free of charge) to the penthouse suite, which was absolutely breathtaking. I was very concerned before we got there as we had been informed of building works taking place after we had booked and paid our deposit (if I had known this we wouldnt have booked, but I am so glad we had paid our deposit and there was no turning back because this was the BEST hotel stay ever).

Myself and my new husband and our parents, friends and family were taken aback at the special treatment we received. And we would like to say a huge, huge thankyou to Heidi, Lesley and Lousie from the wedding team and for making our 2 nights at the hotel warm and inviting we would like to thank Simon too, the best barman in Gretna.

Champagne, chocolates and fruit were delivered to my room whilst I was getting ready for our wedding, which were complimentary and just another example of the attentive, warm and nothing is too much trouble attitude of the staff at Smiths.

Peter Andre was staying at the hotel but I can honestly say that I was treated like the star.
Thank you so so much and I hope that we can repay the generousity by strenuously reccommending this hotel to our extended friends, family, work colleagues etc... people still havent stopped talking about the hotel and we hope they continue to do so....

Dont change a thing and we will see you for our first anniversary!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
SmithsHotelGGG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thanks for your kind comments...we love it when guests enjoy the Smiths experience! Look forward to seeing you back here for your anniversary, when we will do our best to make your stay even better!
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We booked Smiths for 2 nights before our wedding at Gretna Green without doing much research. Website looked good and promised affordable luxury, attention to detail and warm friendly service. Sadly it's your bog standard hotel with a few modern touches.

Although staff were perfectly friendly and helpful we arrived to a room which had not been hoovered (they moved us). Bed was very comfortable and it had a good shower but room was nothing you couldn't find at a Premier Inn. (i was excited to have a fireplace in the room when I booked but it's an electric blow heater with a fake flame so a bit of a let down).
Windows are small so not much natural light to have make up done in your room if you're the bride.
Overall quite disappointing and as my guests stayed at an equally nice hotel nearby for a quarter of the price, not value for money.

• Stayed February 2010
Windsor
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We stopped the weekend at Smiths for our wedding, both our full families came and every single one of us were treat like royalty. My husband and I have stayed there before when we visited Gretna to chose our wedding venue and even in the double room we were blown away with how modern yet comfortable the rooms were. On our wedding weekend we were ungraded to a suite and we were speechless! Absolutely fab!! All our family loved the hotel, the food is still been talked about now, from breakfast to the wedding meal it was pure quality! The staff were so kind and helpful and made our day simply perfect! I would reccomend this hotel a thousand times and my husband and I will be forever making trips to Grenta to celebrate our anniversaries and birthdays in this wonderful hotel.

Mr & Mrs Greenwood (the happy newly weds)

• Stayed January 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Have to say that this is a lovely hotel and the best location if you are getting married at the Blacksmith's as we did. Its just a short walk over the road. We booked this hotel for 2 nights and my husband ordered well in advance the package where you get the room romantically set with candles which includes canopies chocolate and champagne on ice as well as roses on the bed and a bouquet of flowers. He ordered this for our wedding night which was the Saturday but when we got there Friday it was all done for us. The room was beautiful and it made me cry to see what my husband to be had done for me. As it was my husband was stressing as he had booked all this for the Saturday and went down to see why they had got it mixed up but apparently my best friend had rang and arranged this for us for the Friday as a surprise for us. Well we really enjoyed that night it was fabulous and then as I was putting on my wedding dress on the Saturday at 12.15 the maid knocked at the door and asked did I need anything which I didnt and then we left to get married at 1. We came back to the hotel after the wedding and had a meal with friends and then I went up to take my dress off and the room had not even been made up. This was at 6pm. The glasses from the previous night were still in the room bed not made and room not cleaned. Bearing in mind that my husband had already booked well in advance for this package. My husband went and informed the desk that the room had not been touched and to see where the flowers champagne etc were. They assured him they would get on to it. We waited another hour and went up to the room and still nothing had changed apart from the champagne and canopies were put in the room. Bed still not made up or room cleaned. My husband went back down again and asked for the room to be done again. They then sent up the receptionist at 8pm to make up our bed. He asked her to get the manager and he came up and tried to tell us that the room wasnt touched because I had supposedly left my dress on the bed. This was not true as my dress had been put away immediately back in the packaging by my friend. In the end there was no apologies and the room was never done. My husband ended up throwing the manager out of the room as he was so distressed over the whole situation. We never got the romantic night he planned and this really upset us at the time.
They did have another wedding on but they were hiring the hotel as they were having the reception there and the hotel seemed geared up to suit that wedding but as we were just a small party of 4 they did not make us feel special at all.
So be on your guard if you are doing what we did and just hoping to have a quiet meal with friends to suit.......You will be made to feel that your wedding is not really special.
Have to say despite all the grief it is a lovely place and the meal we had was really nice and the room on the Friday was lovely. Shame they couldnt do this for my wedding night.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
SmithsHotelGGG, Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Smiths. I am glad that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for our mistake surrounding the servicing of your room. I have discussed your review in detail with our team and there was a "crossed wire" between us on the day, a misunderstanding that led to your room not being serviced because we understood that you wished nobody to enter your room throughout the day. I can assure you that we do take your comments on board, and the same mistake will not happen again. As you can see from the feedback from guests, we do try very hard to get it right. Please return... I can assure you that you would be very welcome and we would love to demonstrate our normal Smiths standard. Thank you again.
Far North of England
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Second one night stay at SMITHS - the last one was a couple of years ago. Pleased to say that the high standards of food and accomodation have been maintained. The place is not cheap by local standards but I don't think you can get this standard outside of Lakes or further into the Borders. Overlooking the M74 is not the finest view around but it's a price worth paying for a quality experience. Staff are friendly and attentive without being overbearing, the food is very good for meat eaters(haven't tried veggies but expect should be up to standard).

Standard rooms are not cramped in any way without being spacious and finished smartly in a modern boutique style. Hotel is within walking distance of the Old Blacksmiths Shop etc (if you feel like getting hitched on an impulse or fancy buying a "see you jimmy" tartan hat).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. It would be great to see you back here again in the future. There's lots more to do than get hitched or buy a "See you Jimmy" hat! What about some gorgeous cashmere or a luxury Hamper? Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Worked through Smiths for our wedding at the Anvil Hall. The team couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. From finding someone to steam my dress, the spa staff who took care of our hair, make up and nails to even driving us to the registrar office to finalize our paperwork as we were traveling from the US, our stay was fantastic! Can't say enough good things!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! All of here at Smiths really appreciate it and just love it when our guests enjoy their time with us! Please come back agin in the future! Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!