“Expensive if you take a few children”

The CocoaBean Company
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Kirkcudbright
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Wishaw, Scotland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Expensive if you take a few children”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great family day out but with the cost of the Chocolate Workshop at £14 per child it can be expensive if you go along with more than one child, however few would want to return to the Chocolate Workshop on a second occasion.
There is the alternative of using just the play areas at a cost of £4 per child and with both an indoor and outdoor play area if the weather lets you down there is plenty of indoor activity available. The cost of snacks was about average and the dining areas were cleaned continually, with an adequate supply of tables & chair inside and out, all in all a good day out for under 10s. There is no charge for adults.

2 Thank imminent

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have been coming her for 5 years around 2-3 times a year and I am saddened to say that this will be my last visit. It is still as interesting and kids did enjoy it but they are bored with the same routine when making chocolate. Also I want to say that I can't believe in the 5 years since out first visit it has more than doubled in price and the size of chocolate has gotten smaller. I know about inflation and all that but they are pricing themselves out of business. This is the quietest I have ever seen it, normally having to wait at least hour or two but kids went straight in.
Also one observation I made is that the girls scraped the chocolate off the trays of the previous kids and put or back into the melting wheel. This is a practice I wouldn't expect to see here.
On a better note they had a good time in the play park so if visiting again it will be for that alone and not the overpriced choc experience.

2 Thank Mrsmhowe
Avive A, Manager at The CocoaBean Company, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Firstly thank you for taking the time to comment and I'm glad you've been coming to visit us for such a long time.

Whilst I don't normally feel compelled to respond to all the feedback we receive, there are a couple of points in your review that I feel need to be clarified.

Firstly, and most importantly, with regards to the scraping the chocolate from the table into the chocolate machine; this does not happen. Not ever, under any circumstances. The chocolate scrapings from the tables go into the bins which are situated underneath the chocolate machines, which I assume is what you saw. We take hygiene very seriously; all our staff wear hairnets, are not allowed to wear nail polish, wash their hands regularly and don't touch any of the children's chocolate. They would NEVER do this.

Another point I would like to clarify is that you mentioned that our prices have doubled. When we opened here four and half years ago, the price was £8.50 for a workshop - there was no play at that time. We now charge £14.00, of which £4 of the total cost is attributed to the indoor & outdoor play and therefore the price of the workshop component of the visit has only increased by £1.50. We strongly feel that considering the amount of continued investment made into all aspects of the experience this is fair. This is also well under the rate of increases that we have incurred as far as the cost of chocolate (over 30%), staff costs and rates to name a few.

The chocolates the kids make in the workshops are the same size as they always have been - we use the same mould for the bar (it would cost more money to change the size of the mould to make it smaller). The mallow creation is as it always has been and the shapes are the same size - you can't buy them in different sizes. I can understand that if the kids have been coming a couple of times a year for the last five years they may be getting a little bored of the workshops or indeed a little old for them. The format of the workshops is the same - it is timed very carefully to ensure the smooth running of the workshops and as such is very difficult to change.

We do constantly add and improve in the indoor & outdoor play areas though and I note you mentioned they did enjoy this. I hope you do choose to come back, but if not I hope I have reassured you that we would NEVER scrape the chocolate back into the chocolate machines as this was the main purpose of my response and I find it very important that you and others reading this realise that this is a practice we would never do.
Fife, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Scrumptious!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This has to be the best £4 I have ever spent! Yes £4, The entry fee if your child wishes to enter the factory and make chocolate is £14, however should they simply wish to play at the pirate ship and castle fort play park for the day it's only the £4 and adults are free! This is a beautiful park with lots of seating areas for adults to keep a close eye on their little ones and not only do they sell lovely chocolate the ice cream is heavenly! A must go if you are in the area people.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great visitor attraction”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just visited here and it was a great place to visit. Not only is it a chocolate factory but it also has indoor and outside play. Our 2 year old loved it here even though she was a bit small to make chocolates etc but the play activities were great for her. There was a castle with slides, a pirate ship, a large bumpy slide, you could pan for gold, go karts and tractors. The cafe was really big so you had your own space and the food was tasty and reasonably priced. Also adults do not get charged to go into this attraction only children unlike other places where they charge you just to supervise your child.

2 Thank R J
Prestwick, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What an amazing day we had here!
We took our two boys, ages 4 and 5 and spent the whole day here.
Adults enter for free, you only pay for kids and the entry price includes access to a chocolate making session (they get to take all their creations home) plus access to the amazing indoor softplay and the even more amazing outdoor playpark.

Definitely recommend it and we will definitely be back.