“Best fish and chips”

Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Freshly cooked Fish and Chips,Scallops,Halibut,Salmon and lots more.Seating for 40. B.Y.O.B..No corkage charge and glasses provided. Reservations recommended.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We love Polarbites and whenever we are staying in the area we always make sure we go one evening. It literally is a fish and chip shop, with about a dozen tables. So you must book in advance. At peak times it is queued right out the door and down the street. One of the things we love is that you can bring your own bottle of wine etc.
We last visited at the end of July when we were on holiday in the area and it was the Kirkudbright Scottish Night. This meant the car park opposite was filled for the evening with troops of scottish piping bands, dancers and great fun. Even though it was drizzly rain.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Was here for lunch Wednesday, which was so good came back Saturday for dinner. Food is so fresh, absolutely delicious and staff just lovely!!
Had a small haddock and chips at lunch, then for dinner had King Scallops in a mild creamy curry sauce.........mmmmmmm!! Delicious!! Husband had large haddock and chips with mushy peas.......plate scraped clean!!! We had puddings too, I had banana fritter and ice-cream and he had banana split.......both delicious!! We took in wine and beer (it's unlicensed but allow you to take in beer and wine), we had a lovely meal!!

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Lunchtime stop off on our way to a camping trip in Balloch O Dee (but thats another review)
A lovely chippy with good sized seating area and a menu you might expect in a top restaurant.
Choices were the usual fish chips mushy peas but in addition choices were -
King scallops in curry sauce, queen scallops in white wine & cream sauce, monkfish, lobster, king prawns .
The staff were efficient and friendly and we seriously considered detouring on our way home but we were still full from a little snack in the Galloway Forest.
He had Haddock & chips with mushy peas - the tastiest fish I have ever had.
I had queen scallops (small sweeter scallops) in sauce which were delicious .
Would recommend and would definitely return .:-)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I ordered x2 cheeseburger and chips, what a rip off, totally the cheapest of burgers full of what i don't want to even think about, no lettuce or tom and a handful of chips (I counted 14 chips).
Just short of 11 quid, lets rip off the tourist!
Go to a better takeaway, they don't deserve the custom, Clearly trying to make as much profit as possible in the cheapest possible way and thinking they can get away with it as its only tourists stupid enough to put up with it, if it were my local i would avoid.
if i hadn't got all the way back to my campsite before opening the bag i would have took it back and demanded my money back.
I'm no skin flint but I hate being ripped off!
I Wouldn't even pay 50p for the poor excuse they served!

2  Thank Alder300
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We love to visit this eatery when we are in Kirkcudbright. Lovely fresh, local fish dishes, from traditional Cod and Chips to monkfish. My hubby greatly recommends the scallops in creamy, mild curry sauce!