“Friendly hotel with great food”

The Selkirk Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kirkcudbright
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed one night in the Selkirk Arms (18 March) while visiting a friend for her birthday. I booked it based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. It lived up to the positive reviews. It's a lovely hotel with a beautiful garden. Our room was modern and clean and the receptionist was very welcoming and helpful when we arrived. Dinner in the restaurant was good (excellent portions) and they were happy to put together a special breakfast for me as I am vegetarian. We will definitely go back again and I am more than happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Paid £98 for one night, a little steep for the small room and freezing bathroom. However, there's a good Bistro bar and Restaurant (breakfast was excellent). Would have been happier if two things hadn't happened. Came back mid-afternoon and no receptionist - stood for ages, eventually went into the bar where we found her serving pints! Secondly, when she did come to reception, rather than giving us our keys, she answered the phone and took a reservation for the Bistro Bar, and I qupte, "Yes, Table one in the Bistro Bar, for two, tonight at six") When we then asked for a reservation in the Bistro Bar she said "We don't do reservations in the Bistro Bar. You'll have to turn up at 5.45 and take your chances". Mmmmmm - could there be one rule for the locals and another for guests?

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank CCCCDC
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I reviewed this hotel in November 2011 after staying in October . We so enjoyed this hotel ,food and staff we took the Twxmas Break . The hotel lived up to all our memories and we are returning at the end of Febuary and being joined by my brother. Please visit this gem of a hotel you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 1 is an ideal room for a disabled person
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KeithGHullEngland
ThewalkersScotland, Owner at The Selkirk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

So glad we managed to meet your expectations from your previous visit. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. All our Tripadvisor reports go on the staff notice board and they are a great boost to our hardworking team. Thank you.
Yours sincerely
CHRIS
Chris Walker

Reviewed 16 February 2012

A warm welcome from the staff and management. Good food in a pleasant bar - there was a function in the restaurant. Room was very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We got a warm welcome from the charming staff and were shown to our nice clean, warm room. Try for Room 3 its the same price as the others but is a cosy suite with a small sitting room as you go in on your right, a separate bathroom and nice old fashioned bedroom. The lounge Bar serves excellent food in a bright and friendly setting, the freshly landed fish and seafood, local steak and breakfasts are simply scrumptious. My Favorite was the Fish in Batter with Chips and Peas - it was outstanding.

Room Tip: Room 3 is an old worldy suite in the cottage - same price as other double rooms!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank I H

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at The Selkirk Arms Hotel.
We hope we will be able to welcome you back before too long.
Yours sincerely
CHRIS
Chris Walker

Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed one night in the Selkirk Arms and wished we could have stayed longer. It was cold and wet outside but the hotel was warm and welcoming. We were shown to our room which was very comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was excellent with a wide choice. Hope we will return before too long.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I found this hotel, which i stayed in last week, a nice base to explore Kirkcudbright, a gorgeous little town situated on the Solway coast line. As it was just after Christmas, I took a chance and didn't book.. I was lucky as they had a number of people staying. As I was travelling solo I asked what they had, I was offered number 9 room for £59, it had a small entrance hall which gave entry to a bathroom and bedroom. The bedroom had a small double nicly made up and a desk area with luggage base. One thing lacking was tea & coffee facilitys, sometimes I'd expect in even the most basic hotel. Also upon retiring too bed, I thought I'd open the sash window a jar for a little fresh air, but as there were no weights attached it would not stay open, not a big problem in winter, but come summer...
The bed proved to be good, and I slept well.
I had eaten dinner in the bar, which was tasty and well presented by friendly staff. They also have a couple of well kept real ales on tap.
Breakfast was help yourself to cereals, followed by a choice of cooked options. I chose the Scottish breakfast, with a poached egg, sausage, bacon, fried tomato, mushrooms, hash brown, black pudding & haggis with toast on the side. It was tasty but I could not finish it all because it was a really dry dish, across the border they always serve baked beans with a breakfast, I missed them more than ever on this occasion!
I've rated 4 stars as the plus points, friendly welcome, great evening food etc.. more than outweigh the few points I've mentioned, which could be sorted out fairly easy, as a result I would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
ThewalkersScotland, Owner at The Selkirk Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Thank you for your glowing write up. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Just coming back to you on a couple of pointers - tea and coffee making facilities are in the dressing table draw in your room - every room does have tea and coffee making facilities and secondly you need only have asked for beans - we keep an emergency can up our sleeves. Brilliant point on the window - thank you - joiner phoned and re hanging hopefully will happen early next week.
All the very best for 2012 - thank you for your honest and appreciated feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.
CHRIS WALKER
Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkcudbright
Cally Palace Hotel
#2 of 3 in Castle Douglas
Creebridge House Hotel
Creebridge House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newton Stewart

Been to The Selkirk Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!