“Excellent”
other travellers have booked this property
Hillend Guest Cottage entrance Bedroom
Black face sheep
A winters evening over Hillend
St Mary's Loch
Talla Reservoir
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 2 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

We have just returned from our first visit to Scotland were we stayed at the Hillend Guest Suite. We booked this property quite quickly after securing flights up from Bournemouth on a free week from my busy schedule and hadn't read any of the trip advisor reviews before booking but we became slightly alarmed that I may have made a mistake when I check the reviews and read a negative review from Sept. 2014 even though all the other reviews were good.
We needn't have worried as the suite and owners were superb, the suite was just as described and shown in the photos of the property and the owners Ruth and Martin were extremely helpful and friendly advising on trips to go on and places to visit close to Moffat.
There is only one dog of the owners now as it appears one has passed away owing to old age but Ellie the remaining dog was no trouble , she came to welcome us when ever we came in or went out but I never heard her barking at other times at all and she is fenced off from the suite.
So for anyone thinking of staying in this part of Scotland you wont find a better location for visiting Dumfries, Lockerbie, Gretna Green and only a short car journey to Edinburgh and Glasgow. The views from this tranquil guest suit and neighbouring valleys and hills are incredible with cows and sheep in the fields nearby as your only neighbours.
We will definitely be coming back here and staying at this property again, super owners super location and super country.
Thank you Ruth and Martin for your wonderful hospitality and Guest Suite.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Location. The Suite and the owners hospitality.
Liked least: Leaving
Your age range 65+
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Liza W
North Tyneside
“Winter walking base”
Reviewed 30 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

We received a warm welcome from people and dogs! Ruth and Martin are really friendly and helpful without being in the slightest bit intrusive. Ellie and Bobby are lovely too. The apartment is small but quite well laid out with room for two people and a largish dog. The larger conservatory makes an ideal sitting room and eating space. The smaller one at the back would make a great reading room, though we mainly used it to dump bags and dry clothes after snowy walks. The galley kitchen is narrow but has room for two people to work alongside each other if you're generally fairly accommodating of each other! It is well equipped, with good pans and sharp knives, etc. The place is warm - we asked to have the heating turned down, which Martin did straightaway with no fuss. The enclosed garden is ideal for dogs or people to have some outdoor space. There's also a huge field behind where dogs can be walked when there's no stock grazing.
Moffat's a small, slightly sleepy town that has lovely walks all around it and has everything you need - Coop, butcher, greengrocer, newsagent, etc., as well as some great eating places (especially recommend Brodies). This is great walking country - picturesque with walks to suit all abilities. There are actually good walks right from the door of the cottage with no need to drive anywhere. We're already talking about a return trip to the area. We'd definitely recommend Hill End as a base to explore from.

Management Response
1 Feb 2015
Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again if you decide to return to Hillend!
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed 5 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Liked best: Serenity
Liked least: Kitchen a tight squeeze.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Vicksburg, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 28 September 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Liked best: Ruth and Martin
Liked least: Temporary road construction out front- No fault of the Hosts.
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
StephNels...
Luton
“Lovely people and location, shame we had to come home early”
Reviewed 21 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

The setting is breath taking, surrounded by beautiful Scottish countryside. The owners are friendly and helpful.

The cottage is all on one level, which is handy if you suffer from a back problem or issues climbing stairs. There is a little upward climb to get to the cottage, but it is sturdy and providing you use your crutches you should manage it fine.

I wish I could say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, but I cannot. I know it is partly my fault as I suffer from a crushed T6 and T7 vertebrae and lower spinal nerve damage, so beds are a major problem for me. I found the height of the bed to be extremely low, which was a major problem for me to get in to it, I had to get on my hands and knees then, with my wife’s help, crawl in to the bed.

If that wasn’t bad enough, I lost count with the amount of time that I banged my head, shoulder, elbow and face against the wardrobe that is against the bed. On the other side the bedside cabinet proved to be equally frustrating for my wife who bumped against it during the night, elbows, shoulders and head. So between the bed not being fit for my needs, it is also extremely dangerously close to the furniture.

My wife is not the complaining type so when the owners noticed us leaving 4 days early, and asked if there was a problem she simply replied “No”; however I did inform the owner about the bed not being suitable for my needs but I could see my wife shaking her head as if to say “That’s enough, I just want to go home!” so I left it at that.

One major downside to the cottage is the parking, it is dangerously close to the main road, on a blind corner, and I often heard screeching of tyres as cars came down the hill, around the corner suddenly seeing the back end of my car. Our car is a Vauxhall Astra Estate so a middle sized vehicle, anything bigger than that, I fear could end up becoming road kill.

As I said I cannot fault the owners, and yes they have their own dogs and allow dogs in the cottage, but both my wife and I were frustrated with one of their dogs coming right up to the window to see our little dogs which only resulted in them getting excited and start barking. There were a few occasions where one of their dogs would not stop barking, we assumed the owners were out at the time, but this only resulted in our dogs joining in on the barking. I know their dog has a right to run around the garden; however I would have appreciated a little more privacy when it came to our dogs. We ended up closing the blinds every evening, which spoiled the beautiful sunsets over the mountains.

I am really sorry that this is not a great review; however I do feel it best describes our stay, both my wife and I barely slept due to the bed, on average I think the most we slept was 4 hours. If the wardrobe and bedside cabinet were to be located elsewhere, perhaps the summer room, and a bigger bed, perhaps king size, then it would make for a much better sleeping area. Both my wife and I even tried sleeping on both of the sofas, but the rooms were extremely cold and we had no idea how the heating worked as we were not shown.

Liked best: The views
Liked least: The bed, no room to move in the bed without either bumping in to each other or the furniture.
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
2 Oct 2014
We are deeply saddened that you told us twice that everything was very good at the suite and did not discuss any of the issues you raised here, as all could have been dealt with.
The bed is a standard 4 ft 6 “ bed and is also of standard height It also includes a Silentnight Miracoil Orthopedic Comfort double mattress. However, had you mentioned it to us we would have provided you with a mattress topper etc.
Comments of dangerous furniture is very untrue and defamatory. We would not have been graded by Visit Scotland had this been the case. However, we also could have moved the furniture if you had told us there was an issue for you.
You were advised there is further parking at the side of the cottage but chose to park at the front, which is perfectly safe too, lorries parked there when the road was resurfaced a while ago.
As we live on a slow bend it is very unlikely there was any squealing of brakes heard from the guest suite, which is some distance away.
Further to this our dogs are in a separate garden to the suite and for much of the time the gates to the top garden next to the suite are shut. We have been advised by our current guests, who have been staying with us for two weeks, that the dogs do not bark constantly when we are out.
The heating in the suite is electronically controlled and pre set. Upon arrival you were advised to inform us if you would like the heating turned up or down and we would do it for you. There is further information in the Information folder supplied at the suite.
We have contacted several of our previous guests and we find it somewhat suspicious that after 34 weeks of bookings in the suite no one else has ever found any of these issues at all. Of course we want everyone that stays at Hillend to have the best stay and we have sympathy that you suffer with your disability as you do.
Sans08
London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly Placed”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

Booked Hillend Guest Suite for a weeks stay as it seemed perfectly placed for exploring the Southern Uplands and for getting into Glasgow to take advantage of our Commonwealth Games Tickets.
And to our delight it was perfectly placed, just a short hop into Moffat, but far enough outside for you to be in stunning countryside.
The suite is comprehensively kitted out, with all home from home comforts.
The gardens are a delight and we spent many a morning admiring the views and birds that came to call.
You will be sure of a warm welcome from the owners, Martin and Ruth and their two dogs, and they will offer advice if you want it, but they aren't pushy at all.
Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are within easy reach, and Loch Lomond is around an hour and half away. There are some beautiful drives in the surrounding area, with great walking and biking.
Would we return and recommend this suite to our friends, you bet we would.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The overall position of the property
Liked least: Nothing
Older travelers People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;