“Somewhat disappointing”

The Playwright
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We are always looking for good places to eat in Dundee and decided to give The Playwright a try because of some decent reviews. I am thankful we had the pre-theatre menu because otherwise it would have been really overpriced. Of course you cannot make a judgement based on one visit but I doubt we will be back - not at the price. My cullen skink was bland, my wifes steak was far too salty....it was a surprise to see the restaurant so empty on a friday night - which kind of speaks volumes. We were over all disappointed and do not expect to return.

1  Thank theweeflea

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a table at 5.00 pm, (as we were going on to the theatre) on Easter Saturday and ate from the Pre-Theatre Menu. The choice of food was excellent, and price wise, very good value.
We both enjoyed the food; well presented, well cooked and delicious. The staff were pleasant and attentive, and the restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere. We would recommend a visit to The Playwright, and would definitely return on our next visit to Dundee.

1  Thank 66Rainbow
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is probably the best and most competently cooked food in Dundee. Beautifully presented and consistent quality. Lovely combinations of ingredients and flavours are cooked classically. Starters and puddings stand out. Only criticism is food can be very rich and seasoning can be a little too much for my palate.
Service is professional and friendl. We have been to this restaurant many times for lunch and dinner and it never disappoints

1  Thank craigbank
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Reading other reviews, we had high expectations but our overall experience was not great. The menu is ambitious but it seems really overpriced. There was no main course below £23.95, which is a bit steep for anything other than a first-class experience - and it was not first class. I had pork belly with cabbage, priced at £24.95 and although the dish was superficially well-presented, the pork belly itself was soft, white and flabby. This feels like a restaurant in need of a fresh burst of enthusiasm and a more realistic approach to pricing.

4  Thank AuntieC2014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My fiancée and I used to live in Dundee and visited the Playwright regularly. We left about 2 years ago and spent the weekend visiting Dundee recently.

We decided to go for a late lunch at around 2:00pm and we lucky enough to get a table without a reservation. The price for the lunch menu is still the same as it was when we left Dundee and I don't think there is anywhere else you can eat such high quality food at such a value price.

When we arrived we recognised a couple of the staff and there was also a few new faces. As ever, the service was spot on. My fiancée is currently pregnant and used to love the cocktails in the Playwright and the bar staff were kind enough to fix us a non-alcoholic version of any of the usual cocktails on the menu which was nice of them.

We both decided to have a starter and main and think about having a dessert later. The food was as good as it has ever been and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. By the time we had finished our starters and mains we decided to leave the dessert as we had a long drive home after the meal and a dessert may have tipped us over the edge of comfortably full into completely stuffed!

If you're ever in Dundee or live there and have never visited I cannot recommend the Playwright highly enough. Be sure to book a table as you may not be as lucky as we were! If the prices look a bit steep don't be put off, try the lunch menu as it's even better value than the evening meal. We've been there perhaps a dozen times and we've never been disappointed. You get exactly what you pay for which is high quality food, presented brilliantly!