“Very pleasant night, welcomed on last minute!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dunlaw House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Dunlaw House Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Dundee
“Very pleasant night, welcomed on last minute!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

As we were disappointed by another place we booked, we tried to find a place to stay for one night, and we were very nicely welcomed in this place.
The woman who welcomed us was very pleasant and helpful, and gave us a family suite upstairs, for the price of a double room.
The house and furniture are a bit old-fashioned, but clean and well maintained. All the staff is very nice and helpful, even trying to find an umbrella to give to us as it was raining...

A simple but nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Room was large and comfortable; bathroom had a shower AND tub. We also thought we were the only guests since it was so quiet. The host got another room for us when we decided to extend our stay in Dundee to a night that he was filled. Breakfast was wonderful. Watch out for the haggis. Also check out the monkey tree out front.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Misserino C
Greenock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed here for a few weeks recently as I was in Dundee working. The room I had was not en-suite but the price was perfect so I did not mind. The room had a sink in it anyway so I could wash my face and brush my teeth any time. The room was lovely and warm, the heating is on non-stop so I hardly ever turned the radiator on. The bed was warm and comfortable, the bedding very good, the wardrobe and drawers were high quality. Unfortunately my room had a partition wall dividing it and the noise travelled very easily. Fortunately I had very considerate 'neighbours throughout my stay. The TV worked well. The bathroom was clean and sneakily I never used the electric shower as I just had a bath ! Though I did use the shower occasionally and it worked okay. The owners are an 'old fashioned' couple and have a small room next to the entrance. So if you need them they are never far away & it was comforting to know they kept an eye on who came and went. The breakfast is top-notch Scottish cooked breakfast, very nice. There is always fresh chopped fruit bowl and cereals etc and unlimited orange juice ! This is a great b&b , I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Me & my wife stayed at this B&B and the service was excellent. The owners treated us like family, everything was nice and very clean. Also we were not sure if more people were staying there as it was very quiet, in the morning we found out that there was a family with kids, and some other couples. Beautiful house. Will recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Gear_round
Strabane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Have stayed in this hotel on several occasions when visiting my son who is a student in Dundee and I prefer a hotel with some individuality, which the Dunlaw House has in abundance.

Rooms are not overly large but are what should be expected from an old house although they are well decorated, comfortable and have all the amenities required.

Breakfast has always been excellent and an ideal start to the day.

The hotel is on a steep hill and slightly out of the way but this makes for an extremely quiet night with no passing traffic.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

They had availability for me at short notice, which I very much appreciated as I was traveling for a conference and didn't have time during the day to find another place. My room was a single on the ground floor, and although it was tight quarters, I have never slept in a more comfortable bed in my life! The room had a tv, wardrobe and wash basin, as well as tea/coffee facilities. There was a toilet on the ground floor down the hall, and a shared shower/bath on the first floor landing, both of which were clean. Breakfast didn't start being served until 8, which was a little later than I would have preferred, as I had to catch a bus to St Andrew's for my conference, but the food was good and the hostess was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I would NOT recommend walking here from the city centre/train station/bus depot, as it is all up a very steep hill and quite a way. Once there, though, the view was nice and the garden would have been lovely had it not been typical Scottish weather.

Room Tip: The single Monchan Suite on the ground floor has the best bed I've ever slept on.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ahvphd
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Booked for one night. On arrival I asked if I could have breakfast at 7.45 or a sandwich as they dont serve breakfast until 8am, this was agreed but in the morning I arrived for breakfast at 7.40am but there was no-one there, there were cereals etc, but no milk.
I waited but decided to go at 7.55 without breakfast.
Slept with my clothes on all night as there was no heating and it was the end of October in Scotland!
Never again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank rosedonald
BoboDundee_Scotland, Owner at Dunlaw House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Have just noticed this review and would like to respond to it as follows
We note that it was written by a "Rose"Donald - well it was in fact a male that stayed that night
We would point out that he could not find staff as they were in fact trying to relight the boiler as they found the heating to be off (later found it was the "Solanoid" that was at fault)
However, we would also like to point out that it was a "Gentleman" and not a lady who occupied the twin room that night and HE had the facilities of two duvets and two extra blankets at his disposal to keep warm and should not have needed to sleep in his clothes
We do regret that it was unfortunate that he did not experience our excellent Scottish .Breakfasts To finalise, we would like it noted by Trip Advisor that said "gentleman" in fact gave us the wrong numbers for his credit card and payment was not made for this stay !!
We should therefore be grateful if you could consider removing this bad report