“Great staff make this a good hotel”
Review of Craigtay Hotel

Craigtay Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
London
“Great staff make this a good hotel”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The Craigtay Hotel is situated over a mile from the City centre in Dundee.
It has a free car park, restaurant and bar. They advertise Wi-Fi in the hotel, but this barely works in the bar, and certainly does not work in room number 3 where I stayed. It is the staff that make this hotel, especially Pam and Christopher.
Pam runs the reception, bar and even serves you the food. Christopher is one of the chefs, and he is really very good and pleasant company.
I did find the meals expensive for what they are, my starter was £5-50 and my main course was £16. The problem with this is the portion size, you can see my photos I took of my meal, my starter had just two scallops, and the steak on the main course was supposed to be 8oz, as you can see, it is thinner than a burger, probably 4oz at best. I did notice some of the other guests driving out to find somewhere to eat in the evening, now I know why. My room was nice and although slightly dated, it was perfectly sufficient and overall I considered my stay there very cheap, excluding the food. I discovered after arriving there, that Dundee is undergoing a huge building project, many of the roads are clogged, and they expect this work to continue for 8 years. Directly outside the hotel is part of Dundee's red light district, and I did notice a few girls standing about, but no pimps visible and no police presence whatsoever which is worrrying. It is best to turn left as you leave the hotel, you will see less girls as you go in the direction of the city centre. It really is well worth walking about to see the old buildings before they are pulled down, the area is very derelict, but the old factory buildings houses are fascinating if you like old buildings.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank trigga1526

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dundee
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I was part of a group of around 20 people who had booked dinner to celebrate a colleague's retirement so we were all looking forward to it being a very special night. We had pre-ordered 3 weeks in advance so we thought things would go very smoothly. Wrong! We sat down at around 7:35pm expecting to be served our starters fairly quickly. This didn't happen. They were served in dribs and drabs, with some people still waiting for their portions after others had long finished. The appearance of the food on the plates was wrong. It looked like somebody had tried the idea of nouvelle cuisine, but hadn't really got the hang of it. My starter was 2 very small scallops on a couple of tasteless risotto with some scraps of fatty bacon balanced on top. Some brown unidentifiable sauce had been dribbled along the edges of the plate. My colleagues and friends didn't fare much better. There was no table service for drinks so we had to go through to the bar and order our own. Before the main course was even served, those of my colleagues who had ordered lamb (3 weeks in advance!) were told that the kitchen had run out. They were offered alternatives but these were poorly cooked and unattractively diplayed on the plates, and served up by a senior waitress who was chewing gum openly while she tried to justify the shortcomings by saying that the chef had had to leave because of an emergency, and that there were only two junior kitchen staff preparing the meals. I waited from 8:15 to 9:55 for my main course of steak. This was stringy, the chips were soggy and very brown, and there was one tomato on the plate with no other vegetables or salad. Three of my colleagues who had ordered the lamb were still waiting at 10:20 for their meals. As some of my colleagues were drinking on empty stomachs - because they had to wait so long for their meals - they were becoming understandably upset and made their complaints known to the gum-chewing waitress who took it personally. When we asked to speak to the duty manager, we were told that there wasn't one. A bit odd for a hotel that would like to make a name for itself. Untrained staff with no support is no way to run a hotel in these days of recession. We were so disgusted that we told them that we wouldn't be paying until we could speak to the manager the following Monday morning. We took 2 sides of A4 filled with our complaints to the manager. After much negotiation, we were given a discount.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megandoc

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Glad I found this hotel, very friendly staff and the food was excellent, nice bar and a great nights sleep. Reasonably priced.
I would'nt normally stay in a 2star hotel, I'll be back here though on my next visit to the area

• Stayed February 2011
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We booked into the Craigtay Christmas party night for our work night out. On arrival I went into the main building which was nicely decorated, only to be informed that the party night was "round the back". I went outside again and found the entrance to the party room. Downstairs in what I can only imagine used to be a cellar, I found our party. The room was so cold that most people had kept their coats or scarf on (we thought it might warm up once the room filled on but no - coats/scarfs stayed on for most of the night). The room decoration was tacky and cheap to say the least, pillars were coated in cork tiles and pink fluorescent strip lights provided ambient lighting.

When I ventured to the toilets they were in a shocking state of disrepair, toilet roll was scattered on the floor, the toilet handle in one toilet was broken in half and taped with duct tape and there was no hot water.

We put money into a kitty for drinks and made up a list for the bar staff but even then it took at least half an hour to get served at the bar - partly because some of the bar staff were poorly trained and partly because depsite the fact they new that between 100 and 200 people would be attending, they only thought to put 2 staff behind the bar.

We arrived at 7pm and thought that food would be served shortly after this. We had to wait until half eight until they opened the doors to the "hot" buffet and even then, because so many people had been crammed in we had to queue for about 15 minutes. Many of us had not eaten as we thought we would be eating early so we were dismayed when we had to wait for this long. We did try to find a manager to complain (as did many others) but were told she was not available at the moment.

For starter there was a choice of salmon (greying at the edges), pate and a selection of salads, for main there was steak pie, turkey with stuffing and pig in blanket or vegetarian lasagne, for dessert there was a choice of profiteroles, christmas pudding or vanilla cheesecake. I can only comment on the food I had. The pate was ok, unfortunately I had to stop eating it as I was advised that the hot main meal was luke warm so would be best to eat it there and then. The turkey was cheap, the carrots were cold (the sprouts were ok but you can't really go wrong there), the roast potatoes were largely overdone and the pig in blanket and stuffing were suspicious looking and tasting. The profiteroles were fairly soggy and the chocolate sauce which came with them was not great.

We had to clear our own plates after the meal but there was nowhere to put them (they hadn't even thought of this). I left shortly after the meal but the "entertainment" consisted of what I can only imagine is a DJ who largely specialises in school discos.

For around £23 a head this night was extremely overpriced. For this price we could have had a 2/3 course meal at a nice restaurant and had money left over for entry into a club for those who wanted to go (where the drinks would probably have been cheaper and certainly better - they averaged £3 a drink here).

I would never visit this establishment again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Elgin, Scotland
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Restaurant/Bar area is very modern with a great menu.
Our room was dated and basic, bathroom was very small. Fine for one night.
Staff were great, nice welcome on arrival, pleasant staff behind the bar and at breakfast.
Selection at breakfast was lovely, the food was hot and tasty.
Location isn't ideal, but only about £5 taxi to the city center, which the staff were happy to book for us.

Tain, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2010

W stayed here for three nights, and dined in the newly refurbished Aubergine restaurant on two of these nights. The food was beautifully cooked and presented, as were the breakfasts. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The hotel was clean and comfortable although there seemed to be a lack of sound proofing between bedrooms. The hotel is a good base for visiting St Andrews and other places of interest. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely recommend it to our friends.

2 Thank linda_mcmillan56
Inverurie
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Upon arrival at the Craigtay we handed over our debit card to the receptionist to pay our accomodation for 3 nights b & b, which was £207. For the next day we had booked the Mega Bus for a day trip to Edinburgh,for sight seeing and shopping.After breakfast as we were leaving to catch the bus, the receptionist told us that our debit payment had been voided. We handed over our card again and was told that it had gone through this time.Whilst waiting for the Edinburgh bus we thought to try the ATM to see if the payment had come off.To our horror 3 payments of £207 had been withdrawn,one for this morning and two for the day we arrived, a total of £621! The rest of our holiday was spent trying to prove that they had actually taken 3 payments instead of 1 from us.We actually had to phone our own bank and get the customer service manager to speak to them to confirm that 3 payments of £207 had been made to the Craigtay,but they still would not listen.Our break was totally ruined as our spending money was confiscated by there outdated credit card machine, and eventually refunded when we got home.The bizzare thing is that we only put our pin number in twice, but 3 payments came out.!!So if you do happen to visit the Craigtay I would advise to pay by cash...........

2 Thank portoInverurie