“Disgusting afternoon tea.”

Craigtay Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
“Disgusting afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We used the afternoon tea deal from itison today, and ours was disgusting!
When we arrived the exterior of the hotel is shabby and the waiter was smoking a fag at the front door which is always a bad sign.
We only got half a sandwich each which had COLESLAW on it. No other fillings, and it was all dried up and had clearly been left out for hours. A couple of scones which were still raw dough in the middle, 1 mr kipling cake and some dry fruit loaf which had also clearly been bought in. So much for the "freshly made sandwiches and cakes" as was stated on the itison voucher.
No "preserves or sweet cream" was offered, not even butter for the scones.

Really let down by this experience and I won't be back, sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank -jackandvictor-24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Checked in and checked out again with about 10 minutes, this "hotel" is the worse place I have ever set foot in. The car park and exterior of the building should have been all the warning I needed, pot holes, shabby and generally unkept. The smell of damp hits you as soon as you enter the building. The corridor leading to the room was in darkness and this was just yesterday early evening !! On entering the room the list of what was wrong is endless: the bed base is broken, the valnce had a oily looking stain on it, the carpet had three patches where a DIY repair job had been undertaken, the desk chair had a sticky substance on the arm, the bedroom door rattled, the bedside table door is broken, parts of the wardrobe was missing and the bathroom was disgusting. I would question whether the bedroom door meets fire requirements. The room looked and felt dirty. Never again would I stay here, I have never left a bad review on Trip Advisor but people should be aware that this place is not "fit for purpose". I asked for a refund and the receptionist gave it to me immediatley so I'm guessing she is used to complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann J

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I booked the room last minute; I only paid £40.00 so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. But when I went to enter the room the door wasn't shut properly, there was a hole in the wall behind it. It was very basic but I only needed a place to sleep. It felt dirty as well. The girl on reception was very polite and helpful though.

• Stayed June 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Left my partner to book a hotel for a night in Dundee....never again. On arrival the hotel looked nice but on entering our room with the green wallpaper, holes in the wall and a dodgy brown stain on the wall, I wasn't thinking much of his choice. We found that the toilet wouldn't flush, the TV wouldn't work without my partner standing on a chair and pressing the buttons located behind it and to top it all a fuse and piece of "rubbish" were lying on the floor. I ventured to reception and asked for our room to be changed due to the rubbish and unflushable toilet. Didn't want to go into any other detail as the receptionist was really nice and helpful. She gave us another room, personally checking it was OK before handing over the key and we were more happier with the new room. On returning back to the hotel after shopping etc, there was a function being held next door and everyone was in high spirits and enjoying themselves. The only problem is that the walls and doors are painfully thin so we heard our neighbours going to bed early in the morning to the point I thought they were entering our room. The beds were the comfiest we've stayed in, breakfast the next day wasn't on the scale of other hotels we have stayed in but was very nice and the waiter was a star. Checking out was easy and then we were on our way. Lovely staff and nice food but we won't be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Arbroath
Reviewed 19 May 2013

From the outside the hotel looks a little run down but inside is all modern and the restaurant is clean and relaxed. The food on the lunch menu, which I am currently working my way through, is all excellent, large portions at a very reasonable price. Staff are all friendly and helpful. An amazing place to go for lunch.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LynnArbroath
Lochgelly, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

the dirtiest hotel iv ever stayed in, we had two single beds pushed to make double bed so it meant the centre light on the head board was now above us, my wife hit her head 5 times in the night, the join in the bed where the two singles met was hard as a rock. sleepless night, the room was dirty smelly and the decor was dismal, the room was a total disgrace, im in the process of getting the owners to court, which might serve them a lesson.

Room Tip: please trust me dont go near the place
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Bobby D
Dundee
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We bought a steak meal for 4 off groupon, we have been told this restaurant was great by other locals and this was my Birthday. The staff (two waitresses) were very nice & friendly but service from the kitchen was really slow.. we seemed to wait ages for the main meal and the desserts took even longer (we order 2 desserts btw) at which point the waitress came over, apologised and gave us shortbread! Nice touch but how long does it take to put a piece of cake & an ice cream out?

The restaurant, when we arrived, had one table of 3, we had a table of 4 and during the time we were there one table of 2 came and went and one table of 1 arrived - so the kitchen was not exactly rushed off it's feet.. our meals were okay, the salads had a nice dressing but the steaks were the skiniest I have ever seen.. mine, ordered as 'medium-rare' was grey (not pink) and the others, ordered as well done, were dry.

Overall the staff were great - really nice, the restuarant was not rushed but pleasant, but the food we ordered was not worth the prices stated on the menu. There are other places in Dundee city centre (child friendly) and Broughty Ferry and, even if you paid a taxi there & back you'd still be better off than going to this place.

Not impressed with the food (it was nice but, without the groupon, overpriced) and it was skimpy & overcooked - not impressed with the kitchen service either - we actually wondered if the chef had gone to asda to pick up food as it was ordered tbh - really slow..

bit of a shame, really.. staff were pleasant, the food was ok, steak was seasoned nicely but skinny & over cooked.. would we go back? No (even with the £5 off voucher we were given) - we'd rather have a decent meal at a decent price and that means a restaurant or pub down the town...

decent food but very over priced

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family