“Excellant City Centre Hotel”

Best Western Queens Hotel
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellant City Centre Hotel”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We chose this hotel as it had a city centre location. We were going to the Rep theatre to see a show and had a pre theatre menu in the Hotel Restaurant before going. Excellant value for money - 3 courses for £15 and very speedy service, we even had time for a drink in the piano bar before going over to theatre. After the theatre we returned to the hotel and relaxed in the bar whilst a young chap played the piano - delightful !! We will definately be back soon, we paid on an advance purchase rate and for the price this hotel was definatly value for money !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Had chosen this hotel for its central location. However the good points ended there....

My room (aptly room 101) was in the basement facing out to a wall. It had poor lighting, made worse with a lamp not working. It was dank, dingy and despite paying extra for a double, it was a twin. My colleague was also in a twin, and when asking to change was told that wasn't possible because there were none left.

The place is dated, dirty and the only sparkle in the building is supplied by an old helium balloon on the ceiling of the restaurant that no-one has bothered taking down!

I had recommended that colleagues from other organisations stay there for ease of taxis etc in the morning - I was so embarrassed on realising they had paid more to stay in the Queens than if they had booked for the Hilton or the Apex.

Overall - A poorly maintained hotel, where it is thought perfectly reasonable to provide towels with orange / brown stains on them "because it's only rust from the radiators"! unbelievable.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels

St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We recently had a family break in dundee and stayed at the Queens which was so handy for Sensation, Discovery and had a cinema next door which was an ideal location for the kids.
We had a nice big family room with lovely view of the river. Their restaurant is very family friendly as well with good food choices for the kids.
The bus stops right outside the door and we had a lovely day out in Broughty Ferry.
Definately reccommend it to families needing to keep the kids entertained.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lindsay065
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We had a weekend break in Dundee and chose the Victorian very Grand Queens Hotel right in the heart of the west end, which is great for a night out with lovely bars and restaurants, we chose the hotels own bistro Nosey Parkers, which was really busy and served great food, really reasonable prices.
Our room was smallish but very cosy and really nicely decorated, I think the rooms have just been done up.
Nice breakfast in the morning with really cheery staff.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Perfect location accross from Dundee University, staff very friendly and attentive. Delicious smokie for breakfast, lovely choice on the dinner menu in Nosey Parkers Bistro i had the stuffed chicken with stornaway black pudding...yum yum. Will stay again.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Stayed last year with my partner of ten years and when returning to the hotel after 11pm was abruptly asked by the night poter "Hold on! Is he booked in here?" pointing to my partner. I confirmed we were both registered. I maybe wrong but as we are both gay men his abruptness implied I had just met a stranger and had invited him back to my hotel room. I doubt a straight couple would have had the same reception on their return. Had he asked us to wait while he checked the register would have surely have been a more appropiate response if he doubted our eligitability to being allowed entry. As he was a "wee Dundee man" and me being a fellow Dundonian who lives down south I didn't want to cause him any trouble so let it go at the time.

The Queen's hotels in a great location so when having reason to return to Dundee this week I hoped to book there again. Although on this visit I had to find a hotel who would also welcome our pet chihuahua. As I always book my hotels online I looked for pet friendly hotels in Dundee and all the booking agents listed the Queen's Hotel even the hotels own website listed it as pet friendly. I even checked with the doggy friendly website which listed it so I booked our stay with bookings.com several weeks ago.

The time passed and on Sunday morning when we were set to leave for Dundee my partner checked their website only to find that it had been updated with "No pets allowed". I immediatelly rang the hotel to ask what was their policy as they were still listed as pet friendly with all the booking agents they were using. The receptionist told me "A room had been wreaked by someone's dog the previous month and they had changed their policy and that I should speak to the manager." So I asked to "speak to her" but was told "she wouldn't be available until Tuesday", the date we were set to leave. I told her "we were about to set off on our journey in the next hour for our stay and that our return day was Tuesday" so she suggested we "leave our dog in the car". I was forced to find another hotel double quick as the purpose of our visit was the internment of my father's ashes at near by Balgay cemetary which was arranged for the next day.

The hotel is listed as "Gay friendly" and "Pet friendly" on the booking sites the hotel is listed ,It's neither. Perhaps the staff should be trained on what it really means to pay more than lip service to either.

As a responsible dog owners we wouldn't consider leaving our three pound chihuahua in a car overnight especially in a city centre car park on a cold March night. She's use to much better treatment than that. The staff may also want to consider that when two gay men return to a hotel late at night they maybe a manogamous couple of many years in a stable relationship which we are.

We ended up staying at Holiday Inn Express where the three of us were made most welcome.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allanwhyte77
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Nice location in city. Old historic building. Nice view over Tay. Creaky floorboards a problem.

• Stayed January 2011