Best Western Queens Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
West Park(Dundee)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsq barcity centrestreet noisearbroath smokiedundee universitythird floorwithin easy walking distancerailway stationwi ficar parkingblack puddingpleasant staycooked breakfasttwin roomcomfy bedweekend breaklovely view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I attended a Birthday Party in the Queens Hotel on Saturday 5th April 2014. The meal was very good, the staff were excellent and the overall atmosphere was absolutely superb. Our friends stayed overnight and thought the hotel was first class, with an excellent buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Film directors! Are you looking for a location redolent of better times past? Worn at the edges, drab and gloomy? With plenty of the kind of atmosphere that suggests all who enter are spiralling to their final sleepless repose? Staff with the enthusiasm that makes you wonder whether they are there to do nothing unless it is administer the final needle? Have I got the place for you!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, this place is battered.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were attending my son's wedding being held in the Hotel and stayed for 2 nights in a twin room. Not the biggest room but comfortable enough and the thing that pleased my wife was that there was an ironing board (not usually important for us guys). The owner Gordon and his wedding co-ordinator Sean did a brilliant job with good quality food served in a timely fashion. We also ate in the restaurant the previous evening, not the widest menu but the food served was of excellent quality at a reasonable price. The overall impression of the hotel was good ,having been recently refurbished to a good standard. In conclusion I would say that if you are looking for a reasonable price hotel near the town centre then try the Queens.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed for one night on a business trip and after driving for five hours I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening and a good nights sleep. The check in was fine and speedy, the car park is at the back of the hotel (need a code to get out)....it is quite easy to drive past though, as it is right in the centre of town.
The restaurant staff were nice and friendly and I went for the pre theatre menu, which was extremely tasty. You can also get free bottled mineral water from the bar to take to your room which I thought was nice. I found all staff to be friendly. The breakfast was also lovely.

The room unfortunately was a let down though. The whole hotel is old and the decor is quite dated, although yes, it does have character.
My bedroom was big, a corner room, but it smelt horrible. I thought if I left the window open while I had dinner it would be ok and it did go away a little.
The bathroom was clean but very dated. The furnishings and decor look old and could with updating and steam cleaning. I found toenail clippings on my bed!
However I could overlook all of this as long as I have a good nights sleep.

Unfortunately as soon as I got into bed I realized how uncomfortable the bed was. I could even feel the board/slats through the thin and saggy mattress. For someone with a bad back, this is not good. (I didn't bother complaining as it was late and I didn't want to move room at night)

It was extremely noisy, with inconsiderate guests letting their bedroom doors slam shut loudly at all hours, and with the wind howling through the (not double glazed) windows I had no sleep at all.
I awoke with a sore back, tired and a disgusting smell from what I can only think was the curtains/carpet/cushions. It was an old, musty smell that was still on my clothes when I got home. I have never slept in such an uncomfortable bed.

Maybe I just had a bad room, with a bad bed, but unfortunately I will never stay here again.....

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed for one Saturday night as we had a night out planned in Dundee. Free parking behind hotel very handy. Its an old building but the room we had was modern and comfy, not particularly big but we were only in it to sleep. Enjoyed drinks in the bar downstairs before heading out... perfectly lovely and good service. Breakfast was cooked to order and was delicious and plentiful. Price was very reasonable and we wouldn't hesitate to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple