“A Dundee delight”

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A Dundee delight”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked a superior king and one was allocated on arrival. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly and told us about the facilities that were available.
Our room was nice,clean and modern with a view of the rear lawn. The only improvement would be to have a mini fridge to keep your drinks cold.
We ate in the lounge as we arrived quite late. There is a nice choice on the menu and we went for the curry and fish and chips. It was very tasty and well presented.
We had a lovely nights sleep and in the morning I went for a swim in the indoor pool which was nice and quiet.
The breakfast was also very nice and had a great selection to set us up for the day.

Room Tip: If you only want a small breakfast and if it isn't included in your room rate, you can simply or...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed one night at the Former Landmark, (also had trouble finding it, since the name had changed with no notification). Liked the location, plenty of parking. The staff was great-courteous and friendly. Very helpful since I had been waiting 5 days for the airline to deliver my lost luggage while we were on our road trip thru Scotland. The long awaited bag was delivered to my room upon my return from dinner. However, I have to say the rooms left a lot to be desired. Our bedroom was very small, and even tighter quarters in the bathroom. A huge bowl style sink used up all the available counter space. No shelves at all. Not at all practical I must say!
I also suggest these bigger hotels think about investing in better climate control, now that global warming is becoming a reality. Warm nights with very little air flow. Perhaps air conditioning is in order?

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend booked a club room through booking.com.We booked under the landmark hotel which caused a little confusion as wernt aware of the name change. The hotel is set in lovely surrounding very idylic, with beautiful gardens at the back. The reception staff were very cheery and welcoming. The room was nice most probably used by buisness clientelle. Lovely comfortable bed,sofa,big tub bath and great shower. The complementary bath robes were a bit old and tatty. The 'luxury' toiletries wernt of a name i recognised and most of our complimentary items wernt there at all. We ate the restraunt hotel and found the food to be of a high standard. I had the duck and my boyfriend had the slow cooked rump both were beautifully presented and tasted great. The keyboard player/singer were talented but a little out of place and a little loud. Which we found quite amusing. I wouldnt recommend buying too many drinks at the bar though 12 pound for a pint and a wine. We felt was a bit steep. We went into dundee for the night taxi was around 10 pound not too bad at all.

• Stayed July 2013
Scotland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is a bit of a tale but bear with me. This was booked by my husband as a treat through NHS Discounts. It was booked as the Landmark hotel only we did not receive any information on the hotel having changed name it was only when the sat nav brought us to the doubletree for the third time that we phoned and discovered the change. not good but forgiveable. the hotel sits back off the road and is surprisingly quiet. It has a lovely big garden area and a path into the nearby village and down to the shore. we found the pool, steam room and sauna were good. Staff were nice at reception and at the bar however the dining room staff require a little customer service training ( That is the experienced staff! the trainees were fine) not only were we sat in direct sunlight on one of the hottest days of the year in the conservatory like dining room, the air conditioning was switched off as a diner at another table complained of a draught. My husbands dinner was lovely albeit a bit of a wait, mine was not so good, I would suggest if you are vegetarian and non dairy that you eat somewhere else, my meal was disgusting and I sent it back, (we had to make a quick visit to mr tesco to pick up an edible salad for my dinner.) our room was small and the kettle placed right under the smoke alarm in a low ceilinged room, we put the tray on the floor. That is basically my review but what follows is for anyone with a disability that books a room here, I would advise that you get confirmation in writing that your room is for disbaled use.

We booked a standard double room but appeared to get a disbaled room, Now to be fair I have to say that I haven't checked with the hotel that it was a disabled room we were in but it had wide doors, grab rails and two emergency call cords one by the bed and one in the bathroom. The room we were in 104 is a danger to any disbaled person using it and I want to tell you why: if you are in a wheelchair you will find it difficult getting further than the bathroom door as there is litle room around the bed. The main door into the room being wider than normal is also heavier than normal and the door closer that is supposed to close the door gently behind you is not set properly so it always closes with a bang. The bathroom has so many hazards for someone with a disability I feel compelled to list them and add photos. The toilet has only one grab rail for the left hand so if you have a left handed weakness and can't use it there is nothing to assist you. you would generally find a mobile rail that could be put up and down at the other side of the toilet, that is not there, there is no room to fit one. the flush is also a push button, if you have limited dexterity in your hands you will struggle to use it. The bathrrom is approx 2 metres square if you need assistance in the bathroom there is no room for that. the floor is also tiled, it should have a non slip flooring fitted. the basin is totally inappropriate, too high for someone in a wheelchair and no shelf to put toiletries, the space under the sink is not useful at all. and lastly the bath the grab rails are in the wrong places to be of use to anyone, and a metal soap dish excludes the use of the handle on the bath, also for anyone with reduced vision the bath / shower controls are incomprehensible as well as there being no thermostatic restrictor on the hot water.

1 Thank loislaith
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was very pleased with the Double Tree hotel in Dundee, good value for money, easy to find. Excellent meal in the restaurant. Highly recommend the Duck Confit and the Creme Brulee. Efficient staff and good location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Northumberland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in beautiful , peaceful surroundings , in a lovely room that was bigger than average . ( unfortunately no air conditioning and only able to open the window a wee bit ) ( it was 29 deg. Outside !) The bathroom was clean , with surprisingly soft fluffy towels .Therein lies a tale .. The hotel is fab , the staff are lovely , but housekeeping is not up to scratch , and neither is the dining experience !! I know the hotel had only been Doubletree for a couple of days , but basic things have gone by the wayside . One day the towels disappeared and were not replaced , no glasses in the room at all , no bottled water in the room , 2 tea bags only for 24 hours ! Then we come to breakfast , not up to Hilton standards at all , no eggs 2 days, no fruit ( only a fruit salad some days )no croissants , and certainly no cold meats and things that a lot of people enjoy for breakfast .We always stay at Hilton hotels when we go away , mainly because of the super breakfasts that set you up for the day and are an enjoyable experience . These breakfasts cost us £10 each , each day , not even worth half that , made me very grumpy ! Then we come to evening meals 2 1/2 hours for dinner ! So slow it was unbelievable. Very nice when it did come ( limited choice ) but we thought we wouldn' t want to experience it again ! But we did , in the Lounge --- just as slow , even had to wait 3/4 hour for uncooked puds !! Other little niggles , ordered a daily paper didn't arrive after first morning , were offered a fan because of the heat , never arrived yet ! Perhaps in a few weeks of being a Hilton hotel things will sort themselves out , I hope so ,because it is a lovely place , just if you do go soon ,I recommend that you eat out !!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook gardens full of bunnies !!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mrspins
S.W. Scotland
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Nice location with oodles of car parking space. Sauna & steam room are in good order as is the small swimming pool. Good changing rooms with towels provided.

Visited on a hot July evening and it was superb to take a drink from bar and consume on outside patio or bench in large garden. Staff were, mainly, fantastic. A very good standard of food in restaurant. We were in a king deluxe room which was spacious, comfortable and clean and the bathroom was also spacious and very modern with separate bath and shower.

On a critical note, despite a "top of the range" room, the storage space for "smalls" was inadequate. Also, we ordered a wake-up call for 7.00am but are still waiting...