“I would give it none if it were possible”
Review of Laings Bar and Kitchen - CLOSED

Laings Bar and Kitchen
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“I would give it none if it were possible”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Have visited a couple of times recently and not been too impressed. First time for food which was average and service okay but tonight just for drinks and possibly the worst service we've ever received anywhere.
Barman had a right attitude on him. My partner attempted to order a round of drinks for 6 of us. He asked for 3 of them before the barman just decided to walk away and start making them. They were each slammed down on the bar. One of them was not what we ordered so when we informed him of this it was changed for the correct drink with no apology, just a dirty look like it was our fault he was in too much of a strop to listen. He then went and rung everything up on the till and told us how much it was and we added the rest of our drinks order on that we weren't able to finish ordering first time round much to his disgust.
I could kind of forgive this kind of attitude if it was busy but it really wasn't. Thankfully the rest of the staff seemed fine the last time we were in but this has put me off going back and definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone. With the amount of good places to eat and drink in Dundee nowadays you would think these guys would be trying to keep hold of customers not lose them!

1 Thank 1DJG3

Cupar
“THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF BAD SERVICE!!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a drink with some colleagues. When approached by the bar man I gave him the first couple of drinks from our order. He then in a very bad manner proceeded to tell me that it is easier to give him the full order at once. In reply I stated that the ladies were unsure of what they would like. He then went off to make the drinks.

At this point he muttered something to the GM only for him to reply with "what do you expect from other bar staff".

The 2 kopperbergs were then poured into plastic pint glasses with 2 cubes of ice. One of my colleagues then requested an empty pint glass filled with ice to top up his cider. Due to the bar mans poor attitude and inability to listen this caused a bit of confusion and resulted in him trying to tell us the rules of glass in the beer garden.

The transaction was completed with no thank you or niceties from the staff. At the same time another customer was trying to pay their bill but was rudely brushed aside because they were busy with other customers. They then placed the money on the bar and left.

To summarise we experienced poor service, a poor attitude and poorly made drinks leaving us unlikely to return or recommend Laings to anyone else.

6 Thank Scttfrmr
Scotland
“Really poor service and food”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Myself and five friends went to Laing's for food early on a Thursday night. The restaurant was not busy at all. One member of the waiting staff was incredibly rude to my two friends while they waiting. Our food came at separate times so half of our meals had gone cold. The onion rings were full of uncooked flour - we complained about this and were brought another batch which the rude waiter slammed down on the table. These were also undercooked. Two of my friends had items missing from their meals (ingredients from burgers & the sauces their meals were meant to come with). I will not eat here again. And I certainly would not recommend this place to a friend.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank ccam3977
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Shocking service and substandard food”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

As it was a good day my friends and I decided we wanted to sit outside so went to Laings. All 3 meals were brought out separately, with at least a 5 minute wait between each, which was unacceptable as they were ordered together. When I asked the waitress if she could bring me a glass of water she told me I would have to go inside and get it myself as they don't do table service outside. This was ridiculous as it was not busy at all and the waitress had to come back out with my friend's food anyway. What is the point in a restaurant having outside tables but refusing to actually provide a service to the customers out there? It is an absolute joke!! The onion rings were soft and inedible as they were so greasy. My friend said that her chicken was overcooked and barely warm. The service and food was terrible and I definitely will not be back. The food is overpriced for the substandard product that it is.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank s1210t
“Good but poor service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

In here for drinks over the weekend with friends. The bar remains up to date and we enjoyed ourselves but some of them wanted a snack lunch and ordered a few starters from the menu. The food looked good and no complaints. However, we had to ask twice for somebody to take our orders. Also, following a few 'burnings' in the kitchen the place started to smell like a smokey indoor barbecue which didn't help.

Visited June 2014