“Couldn't get out fast enough”

and 1 more site!
Anderson's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 22 Dundee B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Couldn't get out fast enough”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

The bathroom was full of hairs, the toilet hadn't been cleaned and there was poo in the bowl.
No iron, no wifi, no hair dryer or shampoo in the bathroom.

The lock on the door was missing its snib so I couldn't properly lock it. The white kettle in the room was filthy on the top and sides.

The top cover and cushions on the bed were all stained and to top it all off I found a bag of someone's soiled underwear in the chest of drawers.

I could hear the guy in the next room pee.

One serious point was that although on the top floor there was no catch on the window to restrict how far you can open it. Do not take small children to this hotel, the window is very low and it'd be scarily easy for a small child to fall out.

Bizarrely, despite the state of the room, someone had taken the time to do the little pointy end on the toilet roll, as if that would make up for it.

I couldn't get out fast enough in the morning and passed on breakfast. If the rooms are this bad who knows what the kitchen is like.

I guess you'd have a nice view if you had a room at the front of the house but that's about all I can say, although parking was also easy.

The reply to the review below speaks volumes about the attitude of the owners of this place.

Room Tip: Definitely do not take small kids to the upper rooms, the windows open fully and are low to the floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank JaneMcClements

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at Anderson's Guest House earlier this week whilst attending a conference at the West Park Conference Centre; which is a handy 5min walk away from the guest house.

There is a Spar store 5min walk away in the opposite direction to the conference centre, which is conveniently open until round 10pm, and the town centre is a mere 20-30min walk. My first impression was that Dundee is a very picturesque city and I would like to go back again soon to explore the local history.

As stated by previous reviewers there are indeed steep stairs both to the front door and to the rooms and so this guest house is not recommended for those with mobility issues.

The rooms are great value for money - I paid just £28 per night for a single room - and on arrival I had a nice surprise as I was upgraded to a double room due to the single room being otherwise required. Fresh towels were provided each day, there were tea-making facilities in the room which were replenished daily and the room was spotlessly clean...

...however I must mention that the decor in the room I stayed in desperately requires updating. The general appearance of the guest house is rather old fashioned. Personally I quite liked the style, it reminded me of my Granny's house, but it may not be to some people's taste.

Breakfast was good, with various cereals and cooked foods to choose from and tea and juice readily available. I found the cooked breakfast a little greasy but as communication seems to be encouraged by the proprietor I'm sure if I had said something he would have made it differently for me had I requested it.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. I particularly liked the proximity to the conference centre, the cleanliness of the room and the flexibility of having a key which allowed access to the building at any time.

Room Tip: The view from Room 8 on the top floor is fantastic, the photo I've added doesn't do it justi...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Bothell, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We were to stay here at the end of a weeks backpacking trip when my husband got sick. The lady at our previous B&B was nice enough to drive us here where we had reservations. The host could not have been less helpful. All he kept saying was that we could not enter the rooms weren't ready yet. All we wanted was a place to put our luggage and lay low. We ended up leaving our luggage on the front porch and then finding a nearby park to lay in until 4:00 when we could check in. The rooms are tired and in need up updating. The "cookies" were past the expiration date, the teal kettle was crusty with dried something and needed to be cleaned, and breakfast does not start until 8:30 on Sunday and we needed to leave for the train station by 8. He was very not accomodating to have anything ready by 8. This place is far from anything, we had to take a cab to the train station and had we wanted anything for dinner, walking a miles plus would have been our only option. All in all, I was not impressed and won't be going back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hhurey
wardanderson, Owner at Anderson's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
In reply to this review, the guests arrived almost 5 hours earlier than expected, without the courtesy of a phone call. The luggage was securely stored for them
The statement on breakfast times is factually incorrect, we serve breakfast on Saturday and Sunday from 8 am. We are not located in the middle of nowhere, 1.2 miles to the city centre, and as for a lack of places to eat, there are 3 well rated places listed on this site, within 1 Km of the front door. The "Cookies" on the hospitality tray were certainly not over the "Best before" date. Might I suggest confusion on our British way of expressing dates dd/mm and not mm/dd may be to blame. The kettle element does have a light degree of corrosion, as would be expected in normal usage. Our rooms are furnished in a style suited to the house, built in 1876,and the room in question was decorated less than one year before. The reviewer certainly seems to be unhappy and with her prodigious list of reviews, 40 odd, I am surprised that she did not express these complaints to me at the time or to the tour organising company.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

This guest house is situated on the fringe of the city centre which is a 10min walk away. It has free on street parking outside. The room we had was reasonably spacious and well decorated with an elegant style. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. The breakfasts were substantial with a good selection of fruits, cereal and cooked items all served promptly. The owners were helpful and full of information on Dundee and area eager to ensure your visit was as good as it could be.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank burnsideg11
Cleethorpes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

Breakfasts here are very good. Plenty of fresh fruit, cerials, toast, fruit juices, tea, coffee. Cooked breakfasts also nicely done.
The house is a faded Victorian family terrace, 1876 or thereabouts. High ceilings and good sized doubles / twins. Single room we saw was quite small. Decorations are outdated and faded. Steps to front door and stairs to second floor quite steep. Not recomended for those with mobility difficulties. Electrical wiring, or the much used extension leads not up to current standards.
That said it was very clean and the owners were very pleasant. Front door keys provided so access at any time.
Not too close to Dundee facilities and therefore reasonably quiet.
I would happily stay again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Steps and stairs
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Dundee hotels