Anderson's Bed and Breakfast
US$66
  • Breakfast included
Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa(Dundee)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$90
US$47
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee(Dundee)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$71
Priceline
US$102
Premier Inn Dundee Centre Hotel(Dundee)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Serving the exact same overcooked breakfast daily along with the constant monologue of our host made us feel trapped at this bnb. They might consider that the last thing guests want to hear is their hosts complaining endlessly about other guests. It might be time to find another field of work and stop using paying customers as a captive audience.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank jackalope2013
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Parking right at the front door. Stairs are quite steep. Keys available so you can come and go at your leisure. Area quite and appears to be quite safe. Great views across the river. Old terraced buildings in the area add to the charm of Dundee. The rooms were nicely decorated in period charm and were clean. Breakfast is served in a pictureque dining room with loads of nic nacs and various tea pots in old well kept cabinets. Breakfast was tasty and varous items available. If you are a dog person and luck enough to have the owner a bit slow at closing the door you might catch Bob, the dog slipping into thee room before being chaced out again. He is quite the character...so is Bob. The owner might seem a bit gruff at first but once you getbhis humour he is quite informative and funny. If you get up for breakfast before it is ready just go for a walk and see a bit of the area, the views of the river and the other houses along the road. If I, d thought of it I would have offered to take Bob for a walk. Although a bit of a drive to town the quietness of the area is worth it. The drive to town as I refer to it is the trying to find parking and the directions getting from point A to B with the pedestrian areas in the middle of everthing for a tourist can be quite daunting as in ant city. I would stay there again if I visit Dundee.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the front overlooking the River Tay as the back of the house naturally overlooks the back alley where the garages and garden sheds are.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I traveled by train and city bus, so I appreciated that Anderson's has bus stops on both sides of the street nearby. It's a bit more than walking distance from downtown. The building is showing its age, but the interior furnishings are comfortable and of good quality. The bed was large and comfy. The breakfast was especially good, served in a homey and interesting dining room. The host and his wife were friendly and helpful. For a person who depends on his iPad while traveling, I found the wi-fi coverage to be intermittent and there are few electrical outlets. The hot water in the shower was slow coming, but the fixtures and towels made up for it. Anderson's is well worth its three star rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The bathroom was full of hairs, the toilet hadn't been cleaned and there was poo in the bowl.
No iron, no wifi, no hair dryer or shampoo in the bathroom.

The lock on the door was missing its snib so I couldn't properly lock it. The white kettle in the room was filthy on the top and sides.

The top cover and cushions on the bed were all stained and to top it all off I found a bag of someone's soiled underwear in the chest of drawers.

I could hear the guy in the next room pee.

One serious point was that although on the top floor there was no catch on the window to restrict how far you can open it. Do not take small children to this hotel, the window is very low and it'd be scarily easy for a small child to fall out.

Bizarrely, despite the state of the room, someone had taken the time to do the little pointy end on the toilet roll, as if that would make up for it.

I couldn't get out fast enough in the morning and passed on breakfast. If the rooms are this bad who knows what the kitchen is like.

I guess you'd have a nice view if you had a room at the front of the house but that's about all I can say, although parking was also easy.

The reply to the review below speaks volumes about the attitude of the owners of this place.

Room Tip: Definitely do not take small kids to the upper rooms, the windows open fully and are low to the floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
9  Thank JaneMcClements
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at Anderson's Guest House earlier this week whilst attending a conference at the West Park Conference Centre; which is a handy 5min walk away from the guest house.

There is a Spar store 5min walk away in the opposite direction to the conference centre, which is conveniently open until round 10pm, and the town centre is a mere 20-30min walk. My first impression was that Dundee is a very picturesque city and I would like to go back again soon to explore the local history.

As stated by previous reviewers there are indeed steep stairs both to the front door and to the rooms and so this guest house is not recommended for those with mobility issues.

The rooms are great value for money - I paid just £28 per night for a single room - and on arrival I had a nice surprise as I was upgraded to a double room due to the single room being otherwise required. Fresh towels were provided each day, there were tea-making facilities in the room which were replenished daily and the room was spotlessly clean...

...however I must mention that the decor in the room I stayed in desperately requires updating. The general appearance of the guest house is rather old fashioned. Personally I quite liked the style, it reminded me of my Granny's house, but it may not be to some people's taste.

Breakfast was good, with various cereals and cooked foods to choose from and tea and juice readily available. I found the cooked breakfast a little greasy but as communication seems to be encouraged by the proprietor I'm sure if I had said something he would have made it differently for me had I requested it.

Overall I enjoyed my stay. I particularly liked the proximity to the conference centre, the cleanliness of the room and the flexibility of having a key which allowed access to the building at any time.

Room Tip: The view from Room 8 on the top floor is fantastic, the photo I've added doesn't do it justice. You can see the railway bridge spanning across the River Tay and some lovely hills on the other side. It's worth the climb up the steep stairs in my opinion!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business