“Not great - I doubt I'll be back.”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Dundee
UK
“Not great - I doubt I'll be back.”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed at the Apex for two nights. When I first checked in (around 6pm) I was given my key and went up to my room - to find that it was not made up and had bedclothes and sheets all over the floor. I went back down to reception, where I was offered another room on the 4th floor. I had requested a quiet room on the top floor and pointed this out to the staff at the desk. I was then given another room on the top floor (room 509).

The room was generally clean, but had some issues: black marks on the net curtains, definite mould in the shower, and the veneer along the edge of the bath was peeling away. It was a quiet room and had a nice view over the dock and the water to the right.

This hotel is really let down by its bar however. I met a friend for drinks there and we ordered cocktails. The list on the drinks menu was very short and I ordered a classic martini, which was not on it. I was told that since this was not on the drinks menu I would have to pay for all the ingredients separately, which made it a lot more expensive than any of the cocktails on the menu. This seems absolutely ridiculous, as the ingredients in a martini are few and a lot less expensive than those contained in many of the listed drinks.
Furthermore, service (although generally pleasant) was really very slow despite it being very quiet. This really put me off drinking in the hotel bar again.

I asked for a newspaper for both mornings, and it did not show up either day.

I stayed on a room only basis as there are plenty of cafes nearby to eat.

In short, the Apex Dundee has a lot of work to do. I was pretty disappointed in the experience overall. I will be visiting Dundee again in future, but I'm really not sure if I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the top floor, as these will have a better view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Papermate689
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Papermate689

Thank you for your review and I was disappointed to read that you experienced some shortfalls with your bedroom and with the service from my bar team. Please allow me to apologise for the inconvenience these matters caused you during your stay. I have asked our Bar and Housekeeping Managers to review your comments and make improvements where required.

Thank you again and I do hope that you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Dundee.

Stuart Grant – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
glasgow
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This hotel is one of the best that we have stayed in , the cleanliness throughout is amazing , through out the day theres always someone cleaning summit , the staff are so friendly and cant do enough for you always smiling and willing to chat to you, the room was beautiful and amazing views over the harbour, massive tv and dvd player in the room, the location of the hotel is on about 10 min walk from town center

Room Tip: ask for the harbour side as the other side looks onto the car park
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear rescueuall

Thank you for very much for reviewing our hotel. Your commendation of the Apex Dundee is very much appreciated, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am particularly pleased to learn that the helpful and warm nature of our team was so apparent during your visit.

I do hope to welcome you back in near future.

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Went to the apex with my husband for a weekend away to relax and thats exactly what happened. The executive double room we had was lovely decorated, a massive bathroom and plenty of storage. Whilst there the weather was rather snowy so the massive tv and DVD player came in useful.

We used the bar a few nights and was lovely and relaxing sitting there, staff were lovely and drinks were reasonably priced.

We never used the spa facilities but it looked lovely. We never had dinner but had room service on first nice. Very quick service and again not that expensive. A very big selection of options to have. We did have breakfast on the Sunday. The selection was massive and well cooked. The hot options were not greasy and very enjoyable. despite it being very busy, staff were still helpful and constantly checked if anything needed filled.

Can't fault anything about this hotel. on fri/sat there was events on and noise was minimal even on 1st floor. The most we heard was the wind but the stunning view made up for this.

Despite the weather we had a lovely time in Dundee and are already planning a trip back in the summer, and will definately be staying at the apex.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Margaret C ,

I was delighted to read that you had a faultless stay while staying with us in Dundee.
We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased to hear that you found our team very helpful. I will certainly be sharing your kind comments with my team.

Thank you again and if I can be of assistant in the future, then please do not hesitate to contact me, and looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I've been staying here for several years through work. It's a nice place, the staff are extremely good, but it's starting to look a bit tired. The paint is flaking in the bathroom, the tiles are mouldy, the showers in the spa don't work and there's no sign of it being fixed.

It's a shame because the staff do their very best, but I think management need to invest some cash in upkeep.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the docks, they are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Char0nM ,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry to hear that we have not quite hit the spot. We do value our guests feedback which I have shared with my team.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that you will consider returning to Apex Dundee.

Kind Regards, Stuart Grant
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Business took me to Dundee over the weekend that Britain's transport network ground to a winter halt. Luckily for me I was staying at the Apex. The staff couldn't have been more helpful as I schlepped out to the airport in hope only to have to return again. They made sure I was comfortable, found a room for me when it was clear that I was going to have to stay an extra night. The wi-fi - necessary for my work - was free and measurably faster than what I pay a fortune to Virgin for at home. It wasn't the kind of weather you would go exploring the town in, so I was stuck in the hotel for meals. They were very, very good - the full Scottish breakfast buffet especially. If you are traveling to Dundee for business this is the place to stay. Thanks again to everyone at the front desk and the restaurant for making me feel a lot less stressed about being stranded.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Dear Longtimexpat

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your stay with us, and I was pleased to read that you had great stay with Apex.

I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team at the hotel, who do enjoy hearing from our guests.

Thank you again, and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

I'm just back from staying at this fab hotel with my sister and friend for a weekend spa break. The reception staff were friendly and greeted us with a smile in the spotless reception area. Our room which was a triple executive room with 2 lovely double comfortable beds had refreshing lime green and wood decor and the room had a view over the quay.

My friend asked for extra tea bags as she's a tea junkie and can go through numerous cups and the tea bags were sent up to the room and delivered with a smile.

You have a choice of continental and full cooked breakfast, with tea and coffee served at the table. Once again impressed with the range of cereals, fresh fruit, juices and olive bread aswell as the usual full cooked brekkie. Several pots of tea were served at the table with a smile by the wonderful staff.

Unfortunately we weren't able to book the treatments we would have liked as we presumed, a Sunday in January would'nt be that busy. We were wrong. Although the gym and pool area wasn't that busy, the two therapists were fully booked. We opted to book a back massage for Monday morning (today) before we headed back home. I'm so glad we did. Emma was fantastic, and made sure all the tension in my shoulders and neck was kneaded out. Again service with a smile in a lovely environment with soothing music.

A special thanks to Ewan behind the bar, who was happy to replace our lattes, which we found a little bitter and is also an expert on cocktails!

Seating in front of the bar area is comfortable and classy with views across the quay.

My only gripe would be that on Sunday we left our room at 09:30 and didn't return from the spa until around 16:00 and our room hasn't been cleaned. The cleaner had just come in and asked if I would like her to return later, which I agreed to, as we were going to be relaxing for a little while before getting ready for dinner. Someone then came back again a little later, while we were still in the room and as my sister was feeling a little unwell and was having a nap before dinner, our bed covers weren't changed. When asked if they could back later, we were told that they finish at 17:00.

I did miss not coming back to a clean room, however that would not stop me booking this hotel again.

All in all a fab weekend. Oh if you do stay here, you must try the sticky toffee pudding :)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear R3f4t

I was delighted to read your very kind comments following your stay with your mother at the Apex Dundee.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that your visit met your expectations from the spa and the friendliness and professionalism of our staff, and the treatments you had in Yu Spa. Your comments have been taken on board with regards to your room not being cleaned.

Please do visit us again on your next trip to Dundee.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Relax at this superb 4 star Hotel in Perth.........The pool and spa facilities are excellent, staff very friendly, attentive but not intrusive.......rooms are superb, we stayed only one night and had king size bed, tv, iron, tea/coffee facilities + en suite with separate bath and shower......housekeeping staff very attentive.............reasonable bar prices for lunch menu.
What more can I say?
Next visit, I would stay longer.......we were at the hotel for a dinner dance outing....the DJ Donny Hughes had huge and varied selection of music......highly recommended.
Our dinner was after Christmas menu and was superb served well and timely.
Loved it !!
Sandra & Alan

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear Fruitloaf

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel in Dundee, and may I say how much we appreciate your positive comments.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay from the lovely rooms and excellent Spa facilities at the hotel to the friendliness and professionalism of our staff.

Your appreciation of our service and attention to detail will be shared with our team as they are always delighted to learn of our guests' experiences. Donny has been our regular DJ over the Christmas period and he has been a hit.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Apex Dundee in the future.