“Good Spot”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Tried the Hotel for a short break starting on 30th May for three days. Rooms were very clean, modern and very comfortable with all usual amenities plus free WiFi and free bottles of water, would've liked an ice machine in the hall near lift for guests, really that is possibly the only thing that we could complain about as the staff were very attentive and nothing was a bother to them. All our food was excellent. The Hotel is positioned at the Quay and only a short walk to the City Centre shops and entertainment including The Discovery. Lots of work in process quite near the Hotel which did not affect our stay but when finished will further enhance the changes made up to the present time, certainly many changes since our last visit. We'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,113)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Where to begin, a brilliant reception, staff are very warm and friendly, check in was smooth and efficient, we waited less than two minutes to be checked in.
The room was brilliant and spacious, we had a good view of the quay, I would highly recommend requesting an 'end of building room' on the quay side, as I felt our view could not be better (for the standard rooms).
The Apex is central in location, we were within 5 minutes of the high street and of the two main shopping centres, although with Dundee being such a small city this might not necessarily be such a strong selling point.
The breakfast in particular is of high quality, I'm saddened to say -much to my partners chagrin- proper scrambled eggs has prompted me to mention this aspect in a review!
For those on business or like me wifi junkies, the free wifi is of a good speed, faster than my home wifi at any rate.
Two sources of contention that I had encountered, the lack of air conditioning made the room a sweatbox, opening the windows did help, however this meant you had to endure the low hum of the nearby flyover road for the tay bridge, granted this is only a noticeable issue before 10pm and after 7am, but worthy of a mention in these summer months. The other issue -which sadly gives far too strong an indication of my personality- is the set menu (for those considering including dinner at £10 per person at the time of writing). For the main course, there were only 4 choices, Fish, Vegetarian, lamb or a special (lamb both nights we stayed). This lack of variety caused me frustration, however it is not a deal breaker - I would go back, just not with the dinner allowance/set menu.
Minor side note for those considering the spa aspect of the hotel (as we had), the range of treatments are good, however they are above average pricing, food for thought.

I thank the Apex staff for making my stay memorable, and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Room Tip: It is worth getting a quay side view, try to get a room in the corner on the side away from the flyo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Visited this hotel for a week-end break.
Comfortable rooms and good breakfast included in price.
Location is great only 5 minutes from the shops and a huge variety of eating places within walking distance. Also 5 minute walk from Discovery and the Tay front. Discovery well worth a visit.
Pool was very quiet and good temperature for swimming. Nice jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Would suggest including some herbal smells in the steam room but good temperature.
Only ate breakfast so cannot comment on restuarant. Good selection of cold and hot food for breakfast and nice open, bright restuarant looking out to the water near hotel.
Bar served lovely cocktails.
Good hotel if you want to spend some time in Dundee.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was looking for an accommodation, it was the Ladies British Open week in St. Andrews, and i couldn't be happier to find this Hotel in Dundee, really quite, large rooms and what for a buffet for breakfast!!
At the desk are all really kind, and walk out and see the old harbor is beautiful.
I don't have use the Spa, so i can't rate that ...
The TV was really big and the wi-fi was good too, one only thing, the fan in the room was a little bit noise

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great nights stay bed was so comfy ordered room service which was a half hour wait but was worth the wait would recommended to everyone, while the road works did give us a bit of hassle we got there in the end. Would advice to give your parking ticket the to reception to avoid paying.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Friendly service at reception when I booked in; most helpful and welcoming. so far so good.
Decor and furnishings were strangely dated (seems to have a 70's feel about the place?) but all very clean and tidy and well maintained.
When I arrived at my room I discovered that they had provided me with a 'disabled' room which I was not best pleased about. I find the bathrooms in these sort of rooms somewhat uncomfortable. That said, I didn't complain (I was too tired and just couldn't be bothered) but it would have helped if the receptionist could have announced this on my check in. I guess they were short on rooms?
My room was well equipped though; good TV, Tea & Coffee making facilities, etc...etc.. good standards here and free high speed WiFi.
Don't expect A/C in room though. This was my biggest down side to my stay. My room was stuffy and opening windows was necessary and the noise pollution near the flyover road networks nearby was only just tolerable. Not the best night's sleep I've ever had and I was awoken in the early hours by crashing and banging from staff emptying bottles in rear service area bins..
My faith was however restored by the excellent breakfast; very nice indeed..!!

Room Tip: Try and go for a quieter room away from the main road and flyover elevations.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Peter C
I was delighted to read that our reception team were most helpful and welcoming on arrival and that you enjoyed an excellent breakfast. However, I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy one of our accessible rooms. These rooms are larger in size compared to our standard rooms. If you would be as kind to forward me your contact details to stuart.grant@apexhotels.co.uk I will place a trace on your profile to ensure that you are allocated a different room type on a higher floor on future stays.

Air conditioning is not available in the bedrooms but all bedrooms are equipped with a fan to assist air flow. I was also disappointed to learn that your stay was disrupted by the noise from the city. Unfortunately this is out of our control, and I would ask you once again to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely
Stuart Grant – General Manager

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great location and view however couple if things need improvement.1. Noone helped us with luggage. Took parents there and they had lots of luggages. We had to use a big luggage trolley to transport luggage from the car park to the room.nobody offered any help. 2. Clearly a lot of money spent on marketing the spa downstairs. Treatment are dear and most importantly nothing special about the spa. Only one in operation and pool is tiny. However better than nothing.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear JetJetter

Overall the hotel receives many positive reviews regarding our personal, friendly and professional service and I believe that your experience was not atypical of that which many previous guests have enjoyed.

I was most concerned that you felt we did not deliver on the more personal service touches on arrival. We are extremely proud of our service reputation and always endeavour to go the extra mile for our customers ensuring they feel “home away from home”.

Our pricing in Yu Spa is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.

I have shared your comments with my management team for review, and I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee.

Yours sincerely