“Great business hotel - But I was unlucky!!”

Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Dundee
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great business hotel - But I was unlucky!!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed here for one night and during the night there was a "disturbance" with police needing to attend.

It was 4am and police and their eventual prisoner were not quiet at all, no criticism but it just ruined a good nights sleep. No chance of returning to sleep in this v light time of year!

I mentioned it at reception and the real measure of a good establishment is how they deal with issues, I received a cursory "sorry" which doesn't go down in my book as dealing with it very well!

It has put me off a little bit, and now I am due to be in Dundee a lot more and there are more hotels to choose from I will possibly try another one where staff training has been carried out better to ensure staff realise they need to value their customers!

A pity really, because in so many ways as per my previous review from a few years back, this hotel ticks most of the boxes!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank arthurh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Dundee
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Had a wonderful Pedicure at the YuSpa within this Hotel......Natalie my Therapist was absolutely fantastic! Such a lovely girl to go along with my lovely treat....i'll definitely be back!! would highly recommend a treatment during anyone's stay!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel great staff reasonable food prices without excessive tray charges for room service...brilliant. Initially my company had booked me into a different hotel where I usually stay at the Apex I had a terrible experience at a nearby hotel and the Apex managed to accommodate me last minute and due to my bad experience upgraded me to a suite to make my stay more special this was fantastic and just what I needed

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for our 6 year anniversary.

Location was excellent, we taxied from the train station to the hotel, but really you could walk if you research the route before hand. Taxi was only a couple of quid. We visited the Meat House in town on the first night - amazing!, which was another taxi then on Saturday we took a walk into town. 10 minute taxi ride to Broughty Ferry which is worth a visit for the Tapas Bar there.

Right, on to the hotel itself! As I'd read on here, outside wasn't much to look at but inside was very luxurious. Room was of a good size and all looked newly refurbished. My only annoyance was although we'd had a view over the water and lovely floor to ceiling windows, for the whole of our stay there was massive bits of bird poop! Understandably, this cannot always be helped but I would imagine this would be a problem most of the year and so perhaps in the Summer they could get the windows washed every second day as and when needed as it was not very pleasant.

Bar was nice, as was gym and spa area. Only disappointment was that both jacuzzis were broken whilst we were there and I was very much looking forward to relaxing in one! Pool was a lot smaller than it looked in the photos and so therefore filled up very quickly. Also encountered two men who were intent on shouting across both the gym and the pool area to each other. They seemed to know the staff so I'm guessing they're regulars but it did take away from the relaxing atmosphere.

Anyway, these were only little points I thought I would mention. My only real annoyance was the time it took for the rooms to be made up. Our floor didn't seem to have many rooms yet we had around 3 members of staff and their trolleys, working on the floor from 8am - 5pm. We put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door overnight which we then removed before going down for breakfast. We spent a good hour at breakfast, and returned to the room in the same state as we had left it. We then went for a saunter round the town, only to return at about 3pm and the room still be the same. This made it very hard to do anything, I didn't want to get changed in case they came in, didn't want to get comfy on the bed etc, it was very hard to relax. Finally, on returning to the room after the spa, at around 6pm, the bed had been made!

Breakfast was good although slightly expensive, might be getting taking a walk into town and get the same thing for about £13 cheaper! Also - no square sausage!!

However, overall, it was a great stay, nice clean hotel, comfy bed and friendly staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dundee. Also, you can have room service right through the night, which is excellent for an after dancing munch!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Modern comfy rooms. Lack of air con might be an issue during the summer, but didn't affect our stay. Friendly staff and good food. Good location adjacent to the currently work in progress waterfront. Spa is also worth using when you stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Business stay for 3 nights. Easy to get checked in and no issues when i wanted to change room to be on same floor as the other 4 on the trip. Room spacious (too much even), plently of space to keep stuff, very clean. Great room overall with Quay view. Nice clean towels, sheets, adequate tea/coffee, bottled water and very nice toiltetries (elemis).

Gym was good size for a hotel, pool and spa were nice too. Good attention to detail. Lockers has a towel already in them and nice changing area.

Bar was nice, tried the desserts (staff made a concession as we were 5 mins after last orders for kitchen). Drinks not too expensive and they do a half decent pint of guiness.

Hotel nicely located. Don't be put off by the somehow not too contemporary looking exterior. The rooms make up for it. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Great stay overall and love the little duck in the bath. I think we all took our ducks home :) Will definitely stay again if an Apex available in cities I am visiting.

Can't comment on price as we got significant corporate discounts.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Quay if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We probably stay at the Apex Dundee a few times per year. We stayed (yesterday) 15th June on a deal - spend £45 on food/drinks and stay for £45. Nice welcome at reception from Allison really friendly and professional, nice touch is that they recognise you have stayed before. I asked for a corner room which had already been allocated to us - nice touch!! Not sure if the keep a note of your requests on previous stays, lovely anyway. Rooms are really nice, very clean, shower could be with being more powerful and the bath panel was a bit loose. Food and service at dinner and breakfast was great, the hot items at breakfast time were actually warm which was nice as often they are cool at a help yourself. Overall we still love the Apex, whilst malmaison may be new and have beautiful stylish rooms, bar and restaurant for me the apex will always win on service and food quality.

• Stayed June 2014
CQGeneralManager, General Manager at Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear HolidayGal05

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed yet another stay with us and were impressed by Alison, who has been with us for some time. Her passion to deliver above and beyond and to exceed guest expectations at every encounter is what we pride ourselves on, and sets ourselves above others.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dundee.

Yours sincerely