“Skateboards and Scooters”
Review of Dundee Karting - CLOSED

Dundee Karting
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a real life race experience on the East Coast of Scotland’s #1 Track Housed in a huge 55,000 sq ft arena the track is wide and fast which offers you lots of high speed thrills as you race 4 karts side by side, testing the limits of the karts handling. Push the pedal to the metal with a stunning combination of flat out straights, fast flowing corners and demanding hairpins on which a race can be won or lost! Between races you can enjoy the great viewing terrace, fresh Italian Coffee, and experience Scotland’s largest indoor tactical laser tag arena Combat City
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Took two boys aged 10 and 12, who had a great time. It was not too busy and staff were watchful.Fairly basic cafe in viewing area for adults to pass the time. Shop selling equipment. Not cheap when hiring boards or scooters.

1  Thank pamillar

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Finally something to do with the lads or work mates in Dundee. This will be the fourth time I will be there, love it. Karts are not fast but the track & close racing makes up for that, great fun!

As long as Dundee Karting keeps the prices decent I will be going at least 2/3 times a year. Got another night booked with them with the work.

1  Thank Keith_sir
Reviewed 2 November 2013

But height restriction lets older kids down who may be a bit on the smaller side, as well as the two and a half hours it took to have a twenty minute session, a lot of faffing around before getting on the karst, I don't mean just the video they have to watch, there was too much dithering by staff, and this place pails terribly in COMPARISION to the go karts we were on in Lanzarote.

My sons pal was a bit on the wee side to ride the more powerful karts, despite being on before with his other friend where he used a booster to prop him up, but the lad never let him on they karts and my son did not want to ride the bigger karts and leave his friend on the much slower ones.

What was most annoying is that a lad smaller than my sons friend was allowed to ride as he was in a large group,

Saying that, there was a manager lad who offered us a half price session to make up for this, we have not taken him up on this as yet though as we are headed for Lanzarote again at the end of this month!!

2  Thank garry1974
John K, General Manager at Dundee Karting, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Hi Garry,

Thanks for review of our Junior Academy and adult track sessions.

Firstly your comparison to Lanzarote is great and I am delighted to hear that our facility is nothing like what you get abroad. I know that many circuits abroad don't even ask you to wear a helmet on the track and their health and safety regulations are almost non-existent in comparison to ours.

Junior karting is totally different to adult racing and throwing an 8-12 year old on a kart without the correct tuition and instruction is dangerous. At Dundee Karting we are proud of our Junior Academy and I have never had any serious injuries due to the care and time our staff spend on making sure the kids know what they are doing.

With regards to sizing of individuals it is very difficult to state exactly what an adult and a junior is. We say that 5 foot tall is an adult however some people have longer or shorter legs and it is dependent on whether or not you can fully press the brake pedal down without having to fully extend your leg or stretch. The lad you claim was smaller but got on the bigger karts would also have been tested for size on a stationary kart and would have satisfied the staff on their ability to operate the brake pedal correctly.

Finally the junior academy had only just started in December last year and we were at a stage where we were finding our feet with how we run the sessions. Running the adult track takes less time because it is far easier to explain the rules and regulations to adults. Communicating with kids needs to be slow and precise and they must all do a safety session following our staff around the track before they start racing. Adults get a small safety briefing and are normally good to go.

As far as I am concerned my staff have done what they were trained to do and if your son had a karting accident in Lanzarote I am sure you would be the first one complaining to them about how terrible their safety standards were compared to Dundee Karting.

As the incident happened around 11 months ago I am restricted in my ability to investigate your complaint however my manager did offer you some discount and you were happy to accept that at the time.

Regards

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Amazing time, wish it lasted longer!! Introduction and safety induction was really quick so got on the karts soon after arriving.

1  Thank jsmith887
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Raced around their track on more occasions than my bank balance would like to think about! Staff are always happy to help, karts usually feel great and the prices are pretty competitive for what they offer. Not tried the new version of the track yet, but I'm sure it'll be better than the last. I was part of the group that raced the free event won in the summer competition, and although some trouble with the transponders, the track proved to have more overtaking opps that I had imagined. Would recommend to anyone looking to try it out, or to have some fun.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction