“Very enjoyable”
Review of New Olympia Centre

New Olympia Centre
Ranked #18 of 96 things to do in Dundee
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have visited the new Olympia three or four times so far and have enjoyed it on every occasion. Admittedly we are students so choose to go at non-peak times, but it has never been especially busy. The facilities are all still brand new and we have found it clean at each visit. The flumes are excellent - four different ones including the cannonball - with the unique feature of being able to choose a soundtrack to the ride and the waves in the large main pool are also enjoyable. The river rapids are probably the low point - OK, but far too shallow. I'm 5'8 and they stop at about my knees if I stand upright! There are also diving boards on three different levels and pools for lane swimming. Overall, one of our favourite days out and we will definitely go back! I would rate it much more highly than other similar pool in Scotland for its cleanliness, quality and variety.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Nothing special but worst of all Like every other public swimming pool in Dundee and Angus this place hasn't been properly cleaned since it opened
It's not like its open for long hours what a joke of a council
Surely some other people notice this!
why doesn't a council official actually do something about it

4  Thank Hotelhalfmylife
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There seems to be a mix of opinion on the new venue, however I quite like it.

There are negatives relating to overcrowding (it's always mobbed at peak times), for me - the changing rooms (too cold and after a shower you must walk along the same route people walk with shoes on) and I suppose the price but I have monthly membership so don't suffer this each visit.
I have heard compaints that it's 'too small' but I think it's a decent size, with the whirlpool the same size as in 'old Olympia', the fact that there are 2 pools with diving boards alongside the 'fun pool' meaning that space will be a bit tight though the kids/toddler pool is probably a bit too small..it is however very cosy!

The gym is decent too - nice and new & clean. Would like there to be more in terms of selection of free weights, the floor is dodgy around the free weights section but that apart I quite like it including the shower/changing cubicles.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Not a lot here to keep kid's interested. The main pool is small and doesn't have many areas to explore or things to do to keep youngsters engaged. It's a pity because Dundee deserves a good leisure pool.

3  Thank GDK7
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently visited the new improved Olympia with my teenage son and was sorely disappointed.The opportunity to design a new facility seems to have been compromised by lack of space.Everything is smaller ,the splash pools,the wave pool and the training pools.Large pools are not always the best but in this case the size meant that there was no room for adults or teenagers to enjoy the leisure pool without being surrounded by tots and mums, even though there is a new dedicated toddler pool with fountains etc.In the old pool you often saw groups playing ball of using floats, or just swimming,there is no room for this now.The training pool is also half the size.
I would only recommend this pool for families with very young children.

3  Thank Cannyshopper